Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Ultimate DooMer

The /newstuff Chronicles #114

yeah, I've been working on my megawad for years. TVR! and Fragport are fine accomplishments.

ravage said:

You seem to forget the point behind Mockery. It mocks all good wads while being as playable and fun as them at the same time. (I think)
It's also to abuse all of Zdoom's features, and have a good time with it.

MOCK2 is zdoom. MOCKERY is not.

Crap. Right after my post, too.

Arioch said:

It bothers me there's even a mock2 project.

Arioch: That's because you're a soul-less bastard.

Looks like we are not going to get one opinion. In my eyes, these wads are below the average. I know, every megawad is a lot of work (in case you do it alone) but take a look at Ultimate Doomers "License to Spell Doom". More detailed, better gameplay and higher funrate than TVR!

I have a question about wad size. Let's say there's a wad with only 2-3 small levels. That's 500KB at the most. Would anyone have any issues downloading that same wad, with ACS scripts and atmospheric MP3 music added to it, even if the size would then be around 9-10MB?

Yes, I might be alluding to something here, but before I go into any details I'd like for as many people as possible to answer whether they would find it a bother to download such a large wad for so few levels.

...intriguing...

I guess I would if the levels were really good. I have a fast and cheap connection so the extra download time wouldn't bother me. If there was a version without the MP3 music I`d probably download that though, since I`m not really into music.

Yes, I might be alluding to something here...

You`re gonna hold everything I said against me now aren't you...

Virgil, hmm, I'd personally never make a WAD according to what would produce more downloads ("a WAD on demand")... Having a "player type" in mind may be useful, and comes naturally with one's tastes, but speculating on how many more people will download the WAD if it has or lacks this or that is a waste.

Also, some people may reply here now, but they can't necessarily be representative of whoever will or will not download your WAD when the (release) time comes.

All that aside, and since you asked, I don't think I'm interested in a 9-10 MB ZIP that includes a few maps along with MP3s and ACS. The 1/2 MB WAD might be my thing, depending on other specifications...

Why not include the MP3s and whatever as a separate download? My connection sucks it really hard, and as a result I try to avoid downloading big files (big = more than 2mb). Having an add-on WAD would be a good idea, include MIDI versions in the normal WAD and the add-on WAD has the MP3s with the same lump name as the MIDIs.

Well, I do whatever it takes to make the wad great, regardless of size. I am aware that putting 4 megs of ambient sounds into a wad will make the file a lot bigger, but if it makes the wad better I don't mind (you may/may not know that it's the sounds that made Dark 7 into a huge download, rather than the music). For example, my next wad will probably be as big as AV in terms of filesize, but I'm not going to cut back on sounds or map detail just to get the size down. (and I have a 56k, too)

Tormentor667 said:

Looks like we are not going to get one opinion. In my eyes, these wads are below the average. I know, every megawad is a lot of work (in case you do it alone) but take a look at Ultimate Doomers "License to Spell Doom". More detailed, better gameplay and higher funrate than TVR!

I wasn't a particularly big fan of TVR! but Omega was really really cool.

Virgil said:

Would anyone have any issues downloading that same wad, with ACS scripts and atmospheric MP3 music added to it, even if the size would then be around 9-10MB?

H'okay, I've got to comment here because one of my pet rants is about how I simply can't get a decent broadband connection where I live, despite the people who put in the 'phone lines constantly bombarding me with advertising about what a wonderful difference it would make to my life (bottom line, my house is 7 miles from the nearest 'phone exchange, and anything over 5km - 3.1 miles - is apparently too far).

So yeah, I love decent "all singing all dancing" WADs with MP3's and scripting and every single bell and whistle there is going. What I don't like is tying up my 'phone line for ages getting it. Something that size would take me over an hour to get. I'd probably download it if I saw a bunch of people saying life wouldn't be worth living if I didn't, but until then I'd probably leave it. Wouldn't be worth risking downloading something of that size if I wasn't sure it was good.

IIRC, the recent RTC-3057 demo took around 90 mins to DL, but I'm happy I got it.

British Telecom said:

We're sorry to tell you that broadband (ADSL) isn't available at this exchange,and that even if this exchange was upgraded for broadband (ADSL) you're too faraway from the exchange for us to provide the service.

Thanks BT, you're the best.

I just found a nice solution to my dilemma and decided to do what I want regardless of wad size. Thx for everyone's feedback anyway. The solution I implemented was to reduce the MP3 file quality some and, using an MP3 mixer, cut out and use only the parts I need. The file size will still be around 4-5MB, but that's as big as "The Lost Seraphim" (seraph.zip), so it shouldn't pose a problem.

I'm not saying anything else except that it will be released soon. I've already spoiled it somewhat. :)

I wass the 1 who mad3 teh wicked tecturez dat de rewiev thaught was teh bestest!

___Golden lift___

I'we alsow mad3 teh tectures:
DOOR"_! - DIE !!!!!!
COMP=¤_" - P=RN
EXIT! _ EXIT IN TEH YWELOO
WALL"#_! - TEH YELOW FLAMEZ
MWALLؤ_! - TEH BRIGHTEST PENTIUM DAMON
SW"_¤ - TEH ADMON WIT YELLO AYES
SIGN - FUNY MNA WIT P3NIZ

I know you guys get the maps to review off one of the ftp servers. Can you give me the address to upload a map to so it will get reviewed when its ready?

Thanks,
I'm considering loading up Bloodworks http://www.doomwadstation.suhost.com/descent/bloodworks.html (never pass up a chance to put up a link - lol) when its finished in the next week or so. I've only put a map on the ftp's once (my first one) and have generally kept them on my site from there on out. But, I'd like to get a review when its finished so I guess I will this time. Thanks again for the info.

mock24lev?

You're not another guy who thinks the release was a mock2 teaser, are you?

Hyena said:

mock24lev?

You're not another guy who thinks the release was a mock2 teaser, are you?

I didn't say that. I just went by the wadname. :P

Uhh.. :( I just read the README.INCOMING file in the /pub/idgames folder of ftp://3darchives.in-span.net. It says I cant include MP3s in my wad as music files if I am to upload my wad over there. Is it ok to break that rule or do I have to find a way to get around that?

Virgil said:

Uhh.. :( I just read the README.INCOMING file in the /pub/idgames folder of ftp://3darchives.in-span.net. It says I cant include MP3s in my wad as music files if I am to upload my wad over there. Is it ok to break that rule or do I have to find a way to get around that?

I wouldn't try to piss Ty off, considering he runs 3Darchives. Maybe it's best to put mp3s ina separate wad and put it on a separate webpage, like gooberman said.

I suppose they (over at the archives ) don`t want the archives to become a place people can download/ pirate music like on Kazaa. Even if you made the music youself, there`s no way they can check it, so it`s safer for them this way, legally speaking.

Just thinking out loud here; I don`t know it this is the real reason...

You could try mailing Ty Halderman and ask...

ravage said:

I didn't say that. I just went by the wadname. :P

It's mock4lev.wad. There's no 2 in there.

Hyena said:

It's mock4lev.wad. There's no 2 in there.

At least I was close. :P