Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deathz0r

The /newstuff Chronicles #132

Foofoo said:

I would like to but it took me like a YEAR (!) to make Equinox. ... And spending so much time making levels for just one game out of the thousands out there is sorta, well, a waste of time.

It's a shame to hear that you regard making the best Doom episode ever (IMHO) to have been a waste of time.

AgentSpork said:

Haha.. Deathz0r making a symmetrical map. Now that's something I thought I'd never hear.

Hey hey, it's not 100% symmetrical!

Well, i didnt mean it to sound like it was a waste of time, more like it was cool making one, but if i made any other big wad, THEN it would be a waste of time

deathz0r said:
MAP05 - Excellent except for the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind battles

yeah, I had about 10 min to come up with good gameplay, should have canned the big monsters and gone for less ammo and more lonely spectres/hell knights in those dark corners.

I thought the big monsters were fine in that map - they spiced it up nicely. Though maybe I only think that because I was lucky with the mastermind (it only took 1 BFG shot to kill it).

Grimm said:

I don't understand why you won't review old wads. It's not even like there were a lot this week.

Okay, let me put it this way.

As far as I know, the newstuff chronicles was created to do the service of giving everyone an idea of what there was released that week, and save them the trouble of rummaging through it all themselves, which many are not going to have the patience to do. Especially considering that a simple dir listing doesn't really tell you much about what sort of wads there are that week.
Now, if it's an old wad, chances are the majority are already familiar with it and there's no need to explain it to them.

I don't think the reviews exist just so you can hear someone say nice things about a wad you released or that you once enjoyed back in 1997.

I should also say that Nuts2 rules and whoever says the first one is better has NO sense of humour whatsoever.

As far as I know, the newstuff chronicles was created to do the service of giving everyone an idea of what there was released that week, and save them the trouble of rummaging through it all themselves, which many are not going to have the patience to do. Especially considering that a simple dir listing doesn't really tell you much about what sort of wads there are that week.
Now, if it's an old wad, chances are the majority are already familiar with it and there's no need to explain it to them.

I don't think the reviews exist just so you can hear someone say nice things about a wad you released or that you once enjoyed back in 1997.

I agree with that... But my dis2000 got released for the very first time last week as HR2 was nowhere near release, and it was built somewhere around 99/00... it's not THAT old... :/

If I find the texture resources... maybe I'll release my Securitron E3 stuff.

Foofoo said:

And spending so much time making levels for just one game out of the thousands out there is sorta, well, a waste of time.

But always remember kids:

Doom is THE game!!! :p

Hyena said:

The difference with this wad is that it hadn't been released onto the archives until last week, and therefore IMO should be reviewed. Remember Revolution! and Underworld Episode 1? Similar situation. And of course there's those mid-90's wads that Grazza and Sargebaldy keep uploading from time to time.

Oh well, I've not got much this week so far, so I'm sure I can fit it in. (along with the speedmaps)

I've uploaded to the archives three old and previously unavailable wads in total, and Hyena seemed to like the one that fell in his week:

a very impressive wad ... a very cool levelset I could easily waste a few hours on

So I wonder what has changed.

I might as well (re)state: my reason for uploading these wads is to make available to the community excellent wads that I was fortunate enough to have downloaded when they were freely available from a now-defunct public file library. A consequence of uploading them is that they appear in the /newstuff directory. I'm not uploading them "to get them reviewed", as such. Having said that, I only upload wads that I consider excellent, so hope that the reviewer won't consider any time spent on these wads to have been wasted.

Hyena said:

Yeah, sure, buddy.

If you guys are that bothered about it, why don't you just review the wads yourselves and then post it here?

NiGHTMARE, mostly because I don't have to, don't want to, and don't need to. If I'm "bothered" about it it's my problem, and not a dire one at that. But tell me, were the old wads uploaded to the archives recently known stuff to you? They were for the most part "new" to me, so I personally and clearly (or so I feel) see Hyena's reason for not reviewing as mistaken. I mean, not reviewing something that is familiar, such as an upgrade of something already reviewed or of something otherwise clearly well know might be pointless unless it has been heavily modified (new maps, big changes or whatever), and in such case a mere mention, or a link to the newstuff chronicles where it appeared or to some other review somewhere if the reviewer is generous, should be enough.

Anyway, discussing whether or not certain type of release is worthy of a review can't be taken as trying to force any particular type of reviews just like voicing that "old wads aren't worth a review" shouldn't be read as a final word on the matter, especially when the matter is being dealt in within the sphere of reason.