Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Doom? Controversial?

insertwackynamehere said:

Did they forget GTA:Vice City, or go crazy? That is way more violent than Doom. You kill innocents! And there was no Doom controversy. There was Columbine controversy which involved Doom.

eh, the point is for it's time. obviously if a game like doom came out today it wouldn't mean anything, but when it did come out it was pretty damn shocking. i certainly found doom shocking when it came out. in fact nothing since has felt over the edge at all to me, except maybe postal2, but i quickly realized that was supposed to be funny.

ravage said:

I blame Doom for turning me into an imp. With a muzzle and ears and a tail and a red coat and...

You know, that actually doesn't sound so bad...

Heh, the first GTA caused huge controvesy when it came out, it featured stealing scanned-in toy cars from 'people' that more closley resembled ants XD, and in GTA london there was some more controvesy, nowhere near as big though (i think some london police officer tried to get a certian games magazine banned because an article on the game said you could kill cops). Naturally when GTA2 came out they expected another massive controvesy, which didnt happen at all. And again with GTA3, except to put it in the words of a mag i have "By the time more than one in three playstations in the UK had a copy of the game inside them, the papers where filled with some fairly minor story about some planes crashing into some buildings in america". And vice city was largley ignored too (even getting ads in "childrens" games catalouges from mainstream shops, alongside harry potter

There was quite a big outrage about The getaway for a while, because it came out at around the same time as some girls got shot in a gang shooting at a new year's party, and there was the whole thing about the BT van in the game (Though with all this going on people overlooked the crucial aspect of the game-it was shit)

the "Ninja of Doom" wadpack in your sig isn't working

I know about that. Doesn't matter really anyway. I made them with shareware deepsea so they're pretty small and lack detail. They'll be cropping up on the newstuff chronicles soon along with my other stuff.

Postal 2

Retarded.

Anyone remember Thrill-kill out of curiousity? I'm kinda surprised that didn't make the list because that was pretty nasty. When i compare doom to a game like that doom just looks like the teletubbies in comparison.

Doom isn't particulary what i call a controversial game. True there's blood and pentgrams etc but over here the game got a certificate 15 by the bbfc; geezers who would ban the game if it was too shabby. That and it's pretty easy to tone down the controversy to some degree as shown in GBA doom.

Yeah, Postal 2 was retarded. I mean, it was fun for a little while, but after about 2 levels, it got duller than fuck.

Ninja_of_DooM said:

I know about that. Doesn't matter really anyway. I made them with shareware deepsea so they're pretty small and lack detail. They'll be cropping up on the newstuff chronicles soon along with my other stuff.

Retarded.

*nods* OK. Might be an idea to remove the link from your sig then, though. :)

BlueSonnet said:

Anyone remember Thrill-kill out of curiousity? I'm kinda surprised that didn't make the list because that was pretty nasty. When i compare doom to a game like that doom just looks like the teletubbies in comparison.

Doom isn't particulary what i call a controversial game. True there's blood and pentgrams etc but over here the game got a certificate 15 by the bbfc; geezers who would ban the game if it was too shabby. That and it's pretty easy to tone down the controversy to some degree as shown in GBA doom.

I think calling Doom controversial (or even the most controversial video game in existance) is still true given the controversy Doom has actually caused in mainstream media etc., even though other games may seem more controversial in content.

Schneelocke said:

You know, that actually doesn't sound so bad...

I wasn't complaining, I just said it was it's fault.

I never got the doom == teh evil! thing at all.

It's cuz of Columbine. I bet if you asked people what Doom was, they'd say it was a Nazi game.

The problem, in reality, . . . instead of actually bothering to check *why* it happened, what led to it and how it can be prevented from happening again.

Exactly!

On thinking a third time, the author is still an asshole, cuz while the author was right about Doom being controversial, the author wrote it like it WAS the worst game ever.

Grimm said:

On thinking a third time, the author is still an asshole, cuz while the author was right about Doom being controversial, the author wrote it like it WAS the worst game ever.

Does he? Upon rereading what he says about Doom, I can't support that conclusion. The only thing I'd bitch about is that he calls those who're bashing Doom "concerned citizens", which, while technically true, seems to be unfairly subjective.

BlueSonnet said:

thrill kill was never released, though, so it probably doesn't count for these lists. but you can find it online pretty easily, if i recall.

on this gamespy list, number 4 (damage) interests me greatly. anyone here know anything about it?

EDIT: if anyone cares, i found http://www.damagegame.com

Well, the way the author wrote it still came off as biased enough to piss me off. :P

Grimm said:
It's cuz of Columbine. I bet if you asked people what Doom was, they'd say it was a Nazi game.

Well, the Columbine thingy is a good reference to give when someone asks you "what game is that you play?" You say "oh, it's that game those Columbine kids played."