Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

The /newstuff Chronicles #198

netnomad312 said:

Is there gonna be another one of these? These have been mostly great so far (the final battle in the first one was ridiculous IMO). You know, you can't beat strangling those damn archviles. It's one of the things we all wish we could do in Doom...

I'm starting work on HOC 3, but who knows when I'll finish it. There are really no more good maps from the 8-yr old Dark Heretic project for me to re-use, so I'm going to be converting some of my older Doom maps instead. They'll probabally be modified so they aren't so symmetrical and have more room to move around. There will be 4 Doom maps and 1 DH map.

If anyone wants to donate their old maps for me to turn into HOC maps, go ahead .. I don't expect anyone will want to, though :P

Me and The Ultimate Doomer also did a re-release of MoDDM2, there was a huge error in map04 with the nodes that I missed that would crash servers on zdaemon. Ultimate Doomer offered to fix it and update the zip for me so I let him.

The arctic map plays way too damn slow on my computer, but it's pretty neat nonetheless.

Phobos revisited surely is phobos revisited. Very E1, and I'm enjoying playing through it, mowing down imps and zombies with my chaingun.

Exquisite Corpse, I need to finish it, but from what I've played so far, it's pretty good, and certainly original. I hope it was named after the Bauhaus 'song' Exquisite Corpse...

Edit: I just looked up exquisite corpse in google...looking for the lyrics to the Bauhaus song. Apparently it's just the act of creating something in sections where nobody knows what the last person made. Damn.

udderdude said:

If anyone wants to donate their old maps for me to turn into HOC maps, go ahead .. I don't expect anyone will want to, though :P

Paging Dr. Observance; paging Dr. Observance; you have a new PM in your INBOX. I repeat, new PM in your INBOX. And by new, I mean old; from last week. Over and out.

Phobos Revisited is certainly the best E1 clone ever made. For years it has been Fava Beans which held that spot but I think I have a new favorite.

My only criticism is that it could have used more decoration items like corpses, lamps, techpillars etc. but that's hardly enough to impact its quality. My favorite map is E1M7. Without resembling the original too much it perfectly captures the excellent gameplay from the original.

Lüt said:

Paging Dr. Observance; paging Dr. Observance; you have a new PM in your INBOX. I repeat, new PM in your INBOX. And by new, I mean old; from last week. Over and out.

First time anyone's ever sent me a PM on this forum. Sorry .. I usually never check it :X

udderdude said:

First time anyone's ever sent me a PM on this forum. Sorry .. I usually never check it :X

Really? Good lord, I have over 100 now...

Arctic Research Center & Exquisite Corpse get my thumbs up this week. Though I wasn't able to finish ARC since jDoom runs like a one-legged turtle on my system and crashed eventually. The map looks great though - I loved the ambient sounds.

Finally got round to playing Exquisite Corpse. Definitely worked out better than I thought it might end up. The level as a whole plays surprisingly well considering how it was made. The transitions between authors aren't all that obvious either (you can notice them a bit but there is never a huge jump in quality). My only gripes are probably that there are a few cramped areas, and I probably would have preferred fewer (or different) enemies (mainly talking about the 2 cybers and multiple archviles). I'd like to see this again in the future, maybe even a multi-level set where the levels get progressively bigger.

I like that E1 wad, though it mimics the original maps quite much, but then it turns them inside out :D