Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Open Letter to Doom Fans

I won't see this movie unless I see lots of positive reactions to the movie (when it's out) on DW and other Doom fansites.

But I'll see the trailer if any is released.

/makes random "Hollywood stinks!" comments and plays a prerecorded sound file with lots of angry mob noises.

Zoost said:

O P E N L E T T E R

What a whimp! Just be honest. And tell everybody that you needed the money and didn't really care enough to build in a clause that said they only could make changes to the script with your consent.
Please stop whining.

If the guy goes to Doomworld to search out opinions (and anyone who's taken half a glance at the DW forums knows that most of the members are pretty hardcore into doom) then I don't think he intends to screw the movie over at all. That, and as other folks have said, this is apparently his first script, and he probably doesn't have the ability to do that. I honestly think anyone who played Doom wouldn't be able to butcher the movie as bad as we're hear.

After all this bitching and moaning, if anyone else in the production other than Dave Callaham checks DOOM (or DOOM 3) fan related forums, then they will make an even greater effort to gear away from an orthodox DOOM movie, aiming it at some other public. We aren't that many anyway... maybe they'll aim it at all the DOOM 3 and Xbox fans that don't care too much about the game specifics or story, or the people that may potentially play the games... or just see the movie.

Who ever thought it was going to be a masterpiece? Plus, it's just some movie based on the games or its franchise... big deal.

Also, the complaints started especially since some random page posted about SWAT teams and aliens... and there you have some of us believing that stuff as if it were written upon a holy slab of stone.

Additionally, would we all agree to what makes a good DOOM movie?

I don't think so.

Lutrov71 said:

I think everybody will, just to see how bad it is...

I'll go in hopes of it having some redeeming qualities.

Also, the complaints started especially since some random page posted about SWAT teams and aliens... and there you have some of us believing that stuff as if it were written upon a holy slab of stone.

If that stuff was false then Mr Callaham shoud have said as much in his 'open letter'. He in no way discredited the 'Swat teams fighting sick people' or there being no 'hellspawn' and the like and only really referred to this 'junk' as 'twists'. I think we all had a feeling beforehand that this movie was most likely going to be crap but now it seems its going to be crap and have nothing to do with Doom except for the name. This sucks if this is true.

Beats me why they didn't do it wholly ingame. Photorealistic textures, more detailed models... cheaper and better. Keep the mainly 1st person perspective, give the non-doomers a taste of our lives...

Personally I think "that quote isn't real", combined with the fact the whole virus thing came from the fake quote in question, should be enough to satisfy any but the most gullible people on the planet.

As for the SWAT thing, go find the original article that mentions it. It says they look like a SWAT team, not that they actually are a SWAT team.

The thing I can't get over is, why would id sell the movie rights to someone who was going to take a shit on them?

It's not like id was strapped for money. They could have held out for creative oversight or something.

Meh, whatever. I should picket the film when it comes out or something.

They should make the DOOM guy look like
the Playstation Cover DOOMguy... he looked
like a pirate... actually how about we just
replace the Swat/Marines with Pirates and
replace the Hellspawn with wizards/witches
and stuff since they are taking so many
liberites with it. It's suppose to be a movie
about a game that isn't anything like said
game.... what? And you know that no matter
how crappy the film will be someone is still
gonna try to make a mod out of it.

Maybe they'll make a Hexen movie and stick
swat dudes and zombies in it.... NO!

-----------------
and to MYK's post
-----------------
We might not all agree on what would go into
the DOOM movie but I think we would all agree
that it should have Space Marines and Hellspawn
instead of Swat looking dudes and Virus striken
dead people (cough, Resident Evil, cough).

-BuzzSaw

Quast said:

Don't even tell me there is going to be some kind of "love figure or romantic conflict/situation" for the doomguy...I'd almost be willing to bet...OMG doomguy saves teh conveniently scantly clad damsel in distress. I can see it now.

[/B]

stingrza said:

There is no love story. I assure you of that. It was suggested at various points by various parties, but there is no love story in the DOOM movie. Not even a slight hint at romance whatsoever. It would be completely ridiculous.

[/B]
BS, I gaurantee it gets added.
...and he goes on...

Doom 3, it should be noted, is essentially a makeover of Doom. It's close to the same story. That said, the movie is not technically based on either. As several people have mentioned, there's not much story in the games, at least not enough to sustain a decent movie. I think instead gamers will find the movie to be a very faithful yet forward-thinking extension of the DOOM brand. I can't say much more than that, but needless to say there are characters and storylines ON TOP of the excellent violence we all want to see.

So you see his use of "forward-thinking extension of the DOOM brand" doesn't mean he lied...he just chose his words carefully as to not rule out...people infected with viruses

I thimkk the absolute most hilarious part of this whole thing, is how easy it would be to plug and play crap into a film and call it Doom. ALL you needed is a setting, Mars, and antagonists, demons from hell, and you could throw in any other grabage or contrived plotline you wanted and still pawn it off as "Doom". And they couldn't even gat THAT Right. I mean, even just ONE of two would qualify as being Doom... just set it on Mars with a vaccine that turns people into Zombies, or Fighting on earth and Demons come in. Shit, I have no script writing experience and my ability to assemble coherant plots is attrocious, yet even I could write a half assed script.

This movie is going to be so hilariously awful that I'll have no choice but to see it.

Chronoteeth said:

I would rather see no movie based on doom than this.

I think it's fair to say that, if these reports are correct, this is not a movie based on Doom.

/Grabs a flaming brand and joins the increasingly ugly crowd. :-)

Well, let's see, it took them forever to make Resident Evil. What ever happened to that contest Capcom offered to star in the movie? Anyway, after all the wait, it turned to shit.

Tomb Raider, same. Although I think it would've been alright if they had at least kept the original backstory of her life the same.

My bets is it sucks. I'll wait for the reviews, because if it does turn out to be shit, then I can easily spend that money on a dime bag and go watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Although, I did kinda like that part about it being an 'extension of the Doom universe' or whatnot. That gives me the feeling of a PWad for some reason. After all, Doom is about killing shit and surviving to kill more shit and ultimately save Earth, pending said survival and killing shit. Anybody could write that and make it perfectly faithful and the movie could still end up like shit. For all we know those SWAT team and sick people quotes were just generalizations for the elements of the game, and it's actually supposed to be something like 'what happened during or right before Doom II' kinda thing. Or it'll turn out like RE.

It's a lose-lose situation. Of course, we're the ones that lose.

Fuck it, I'll just go ahead and buy the dime bag.

What a whimp! Just be honest. And tell everybody that you needed the money and didn't really care enough to build in a clause that said they only could make changes to the script with your consent.

Mmhm.. and what, gaurantee his script would get rejected, so some poor shmuck who's never played the damn game can toss in his script? Think Super Mario Brothers, here...

And it bares repeating:

jerrylee said:

The thing I can't get over is, why would id sell the movie rights to someone who was going to take a shit on them?
It's not like id was strapped for money. They could have held out for creative oversight or something.

This, combined with there being no credible story about the "SWAT teams against sick people" I think is enough to give the movie a ray of hope.

Who knows.. maybe it'll be based on Earth where space marines (who happen to somewhat resemble SWAT.. like the zombies in Doom 3) are ready to disembark to Mars to take care of the newfound "problem" start encountering "sick people"/zombies who they assume to have contracted some sort of dementia-causing virus until they realize they're actually coming from Hell?

Well, let's see, it took them forever to make Resident Evil. What ever happened to that contest Capcom offered to star in the movie? Anyway, after all the wait, it turned to shit.

I beg to differ. Resident Evil was not only good, it was rather faithful to the game. Obviously some elements are missing (The Mansion, mostly), but there's only so much you can do in a 1-1/2 to 2 hour movie.

Scuba Steve said:
I thimkk the absolute most hilarious part of this whole thing, is how easy it would be to plug and play crap into a film and call it Doom. ALL you needed is a setting, Mars, and antagonists, demons from hell, and you could throw in any other grabage or contrived plotline you wanted and still pawn it off as "Doom". And they couldn't even gat THAT Right. I mean, even just ONE of two would qualify as being Doom... just set it on Mars with a vaccine that turns people into Zombies, or Fighting on earth and Demons come in. Shit, I have no script writing experience and my ability to assemble coherant plots is attrocious, yet even I could write a half assed script.

This movie is going to be so hilariously awful that I'll have no choice but to see it.

Quoted for truth

Look - regardless of what anyone says, we're all going to go see this movie, because we cannot resist that DooM charm. If anything, we can always go see it and then psychologically convince ourselves that it was a five-star masterpiece.

boris said:

Yeah, except that her lips are as big as her tits.

All the better to suck me with my dear.

Can't ID sue hollywood or something for making a movie not based on Doom and using the name Doom? This movie is going to have nothing to do with Doom yet they're gonna name it after the game? Why don't they sue their asses? Or wait maybe it was all ID's fault from the beginning? Maybe they signed some contract saying that Hollywood can cram it all in our asses and enjoy it? I don't know...

Holering said:

Can't ID sue hollywood or something for making a movie not based on Doom and using the name Doom?

Since this movie deal is likely quite profitable for id, I doubt they really give two shits.

Hollywood could do a better job on this.

Hollywood has done the "earth hero/soldier type goes to mars to kill a bunch of evil mutant aliens" before and it made enough money to satisfy the bigwigs AFAIK (although I cant recall exactly which film it was)

DOOM fans would like it (because it at least is vaguly similar to the game)
And the same people who went to see such hollywood popcorn flicks as Mars Attacks, Mission To Mars, Total Recall and other films connected to mars (and those who will see sci-fi in general) will go to see it and give hollywood their $$$.
Get a big name hollywood action hero to play the "space marine".
Make the film about the action hero and his team going to mars and its moons to blow lots of mutant martians to kingdom come (and finding the secret UAC base where the mutants came from)

What we have now is probobly more related to Resident Evil than to DOOM (those who have seen the second Resident Evil flick will probobly understand why I make this comparison)

The worst part for me is that even if the movie does end up featuring hellspawn, Mars, etc... I can guarantee that lot (possibly even the majority) of people who've posted here will continue claiming that the studio intended to have a virus and set it on modern day Earth, but the backlash from the community persuaded them to "change their minds".

I'm guessing very few people will actually admit they were suckered in by lying, ignorant, two-faced so-called 'journalists'.

exp(x) said:

I'm still waiting for the Doom board game.

I'm still waiting for Pong: The Movie, and it's infamous sequal Pong Episode XIX: Return of the Teenage Mutant Jedi Zombie Hitckhikers with Chainsaws From Mars.

We should hound Mr. Callahan for his original script idea, or try to get him to leak the script they're using anyway.

EDIT: Hey, check out what the IMDB says:

THE IMDB IS MY GOD AND SAYS
Plot Outline: In the year 2145, a group of Marines on Phobos, the moon of Mars, face off against monsters who infiltrate their base after an experiment goes seriously awry.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419706/

The plot thickens like a bowl of urine.

Thats great. now go get a thesaurus, look up "Doom", and find some other word that is synonymouse with "Doom", and make that the movie name. if it's not Doom, don't make it "Doom".

As long as the movie is rated "R" and has lots of blood I MIGHT see it. But if I see any computer generated bullshit that obviously looks fake then forget it. Its ironic that I don't want to see something created by a computer when it's source was just that.

For some reason I always like the "latex" monsters and fake blood more than anything created on a computer. For some reason the older horror movies seemed more freaky, spooky, and entertaining then new movies. Maybe it was the camera angles and dark lighting and such, or maybe because I was young. Probably a combination of the two. Whatever it was, I want to see that same mystique in Doom. After all, wasn't Doom influenced by movies such as Evil Dead?

Shtbag667 said:

After all, wasn't Doom influenced by movies such as Evil Dead?

I'll quote John Carmack:

"After all, Doom was always about Aliens and Evil Dead, mmm".

I really think making a doom fan movie is a good idea whether or not the doom movie gets made and sux or rox. I've been wanting to do a tribute to the ORIGINAL doom for some time now. I have a script in the works, but my MINIMUM length for it is 1 hour and I'd prefer not to go over an hour and a half. I do want help, but I do have ways to do all parts of this, if anyone is interested... truly interested. Email me @ 1sttriumverate@diplomats.com.

I got some interesting "easter eggs" planned, and a few minor changes for plot reasons, but I wanna make sure I stay as accurate as possible so I need someone to keep me in line.

How is this going to work you may ask? Well, I'm going to be using real footage of actors digitized over computer landscapes and such, I was going to build models of all the enemies, but I think I can use some that exist and special shaders to make everything look nice, if anyone has any ideas, give me a whistle.

Ok, so if anyone ignores me that's fine too....