Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Manc

To Eternity and Beyond

Quasar has let us know that he's got not one but TWO releases for you folks this weekend. His Eternity Engine is up to v3.31.10 alpha gamma something or other, and he's also been working on WinMBF which is now at v2.03 build 2. For the 3 people that actually use WinMBF I'm sure that's pretty exciting. You can find all the links you need over on the Team Eternity website.

What links are you talking about? The links on the engine page are out of date. You're supposed to go to the index page to get the new files, and if those aren't there, then something is wrong with the /idgames mirror. Don't gripe at me about it if that's the case, I don't control the internet. Try Doomworld's /idgames index if the links really aren't working.

Mancubus II said:
Yeah I'm not quite sure what's in winmbf that isn't in eternity...

Among other things, the lack of Eternity features.

WinMBF is basically a direct port of the long forgotten, kick-a** port Marines Best Friend(aka MBF). It was such a good port, but quickly died because it was DOS when everyone wanted windows(like 1999/2000ish). I am among the 3 people who use it. I like MBF. First port to have things like friendly monsters. :)

As for a new Eternity, coolz0r! I will be sure to check it out soon, but I am busy right now.

Mancubus II said:

For the 3 people that actually use WinMBF I'm sure that's pretty exciting.

OK, 'fess up. I'm one of them. Who are the other two? :-)

maxspeed said:

Does it have COD support, if not will there be soon?

I've been working on a version of CoD that will work with "vanilla" Eternity off and on for a few months now. No port really supported everything I created out of the box and they still don't in some ways. And I'm not gonna spend several thousand bucks on Visual C++ to compile a windows version of the old custom engine which will only need to be updated constantly anyway.

Anytime you want to answer my question about ambient sounds James... :)

MasterOFDeath said:

See my post Enjay. It's me, you, and someone else.

that'd be me then, having used it for my most recent demo recordings :-)

JoelMurdoch said:

I'm not gonna spend several thousand bucks on Visual C++ to compile a windows version of the old custom engine which will only need to be updated constantly anyway.

FYI, the compiler and some other tools are free for download. Not that this changes anything about the futility of porting the custom CoD engine...

For the record: I just uploaded a ZDoom patch that allows to play Caverns of Darkness to /idgames. No need to wait any longer. :)

Graf Zahl said:

For the record: I just uploaded a ZDoom patch that allows to play Caverns of Darkness to /idgames. No need to wait any longer. :)

I'll be surprised, not to mention impressed, if you caught everything. If anything needs to be done to improve things and get 100% compatibility perhaps we could colaborate (I don't know shit about ZDoom editing) and get a final version done. I'll probably still do an Eternity version to ensure it reaches as many players as possible, but ZDoom compatibility for the project would be a definite plus.

JoelMurdoch said:

I'll be surprised, not to mention impressed, if you caught everything. If anything needs to be done to improve things and get 100% compatibility perhaps we could colaborate (I don't know shit about ZDoom editing) and get a final version done. I'll probably still do an Eternity version to ensure it reaches as many players as possible, but ZDoom compatibility for the project would be a definite plus.

What could I have missed? It can't be anything important because I was able to play through the whole thing without encountering any problems. Or is there anything else besides the new things (monsters, ambient sounds etc.), the 2 new line types and the 2 new sector types?

The only thing that doesn't work as intended is killing the Cyberdemons in the tanks of the last level. If I wanted to fix that I had to alter the level itself but I didn't want to do that. BTW, I managed to do almost everything (except the 2 new sector specials) with external lumps, even the ghost spawning Arch-Vile (please tell me if I got it correctly because I can't really remember how it worked and all I had as guideline is the CoD source code.)

I totally forgot the code was released. Sounds like you may've done it, and I will be impressed :) I never quite got that dying cyb thing on the last level.

Graf Zahl said:

That's great news!

Yay so now the only project ever actually released for Eternity won't even be used with the port any more. *sighs*

Actually blame it on me, because I've put off helping Joel with the CoD update to try get other important stuff finished up (especially Small, which is becoming a real thorn in my side due to its glaring portability problems).

Joel -- if you want to continue working on the CoD -> Eternity thing, I am prepared to give you my undivided attention at the present time, since all other Eternity subprojects (like fixing Small) are more or less stalled out right now. I can add features for anything you cannot already implement and make them general so everyone can access them. Although, if CoD has a new weapon, I'll have to bite the bullet and get EDF for Weapons finished, and THAT will be a significant undertaking that might last up to a month (assuming everything goes smoothly).

Quasar said:

Although, if CoD has a new weapon, I'll have to bite the bullet and get EDF for Weapons finished, and THAT will be a significant undertaking that might last up to a month (assuming everything goes smoothly).

Er... best get started then cause we do have a new weapon I'm afraid.

Quasar said:

Yay so now the only project ever actually released for Eternity won't even be used with the port any more. *sighs*

I'm sorry! ;)

But the reason I did this was not to hurt your project. I just wanted to play that thing again and making this patch was the easiest thing to do that.

The old DOS Exe never worked properly for me back in 2002 (mostly sound issues) but now with XP it has become totally unusable.

Quasar: One could say that P:AR use Eternity, as that's the only port I've tried it with that have actually ran it flawlessly. But now there's WinMBF also so.. I guess that makes 2 of them.

DSV4 have an eternity version aswell, but It's outdated as there's no FS in Eternity anymore.. :/

Graf Zahl said:

The old DOS Exe never worked properly for me back in 2002 (mostly sound issues) but now with XP it has become totally unusable.

That version also has numerous buffer overflow issues that will cause frequent SEGVs, especially in the text HUD code (This problem finally exploded in v3.31 beta 1 and resulted in a huge delay to development).

Sign in to follow this