Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

IGN Buys 3DGamers

TheDarkArchon said:

INCOMING is becoming crowded: Somthing I uploaded on Sunday is still there. It doesn't look good........

Oh good grief it's not like it's disappearing tomorrow.

Erm, for a bunch of files to sit in /incoming for four or five days really is nothing new. We've had stuff sitting in incoming for weeks on end before.

It all boils down to fact that the idgames archive maintainer, Mr. Halderman, is a person and not a machine.

Linguica said:

Read?! Draw intelligent conclusions?!? Who do you think we are!!

Beleive corporate propaganda designed as damage control and take it at face value? of Course!

"and another one bites the dust..." it may not neccessarily be true, but thinking about the corporate pigs at IGN sucking in another defenseless site makes me feel that way.

skadoomer said:

Hasn't this happened before when ftp.cdrom.com went down? It wasn't a big deal then, so why is it a big deal now? There will always be someone willing to house doom stuff so long as their are people who are willing to download and play it.

ya this happened before and look how many wads dont exsist because of it..now someone tell me how to download an entire ftp site whats a good program to use?remember i wanna download an entire ftp not one file at a time

MORBIDTWATT said:

ya this happened before and look how many wads dont exsist because of it..now someone tell me how to download an entire ftp site whats a good program to use?remember i wanna download an entire ftp not one file at a time

"sync" it

Q. I don’t believe you, 3D Gamers will disappear!
A. Is that a question? Look at other sites that IGN has merged with or acquired, like GameSpy, Rotten Tomatoes and TeamXbox, and see how they are doing. 3D Gamers is here to stay.

Q. Then what will be the most obvious effects of this acquisition?
A. The web site will be better integrated with other IGN properties like Direct 2 Drive and GameSpy Arena, and the advertisements will change to those provided by IGN.

As long as... you can have direct-links and - as a second wish - the website does not turn into a GameSpy FileSystem with "You're in line" downloads waiting a fucky 1/2 hour, I do not care.

Hirogen2 said:

As long as... you can have direct-links and - as a second wish - the website does not turn into a GameSpy FileSystem with "You're in line" downloads waiting a fucky 1/2 hour, I do not care.

Fat chance.
This IS IGN we're talking about here. :/

Mancubus II said:

Oh good grief it's not like it's disappearing tomorrow.

Yes, yes it is! And you know it! Stop spreading your lies around the community when we all know what the truth is!

Hi folks,
It's good to see so many "concerned" comments, that means you care about us. :-)

To address some specific points: archives.3dgamers.com is not going away, it isn't part of the deal with IGN. They had no interest in it, and even then we would have kept it out of the deal because we don't own it. The idgames archive and other archives we keep on this machine are community projects, and we - 3D Gamers' (former) owners together with Ty Halderman - are merely custodians. Because IGN bought the 3dgamers.com domain, the archives will need to be moved to a private server operated by Kapi and me, but we'll inform the community and mirrors of that change when it happens.

Happy now? :-)

WildWeasel wrote: "Why'd they have to do this to a small site like 3DGamers?!"
Excuse me? Peak traffic on 3D Gamers is 2.6 million unique users/month and nearly 20 million pages/month. I wouldn't call that small. ;-)

Bastet Furry wrote: "I dont and never will trust a corporation."
3D Gamers LLC has been a corporation for 2.5 years until this acquisition. Did we forsake the community all that time? No, and we don't plan to start now. See above for the future of the idgames archive. And try to control your knees Bastet ;-P

cyber-menace wrote: "another defenseless site"
Nonsense. 3D Gamers LLC has been a perfectly solid business with three owners and one employee. Nothing defenseless about it. We didn't have to take this deal, but we did because it made sense to us to grow the site faster than we could have done by staying independent.

Linguica wrote: "Read?! Draw intelligent conclusions?!? Who do you think we are!!"
Right, that makes me wonder whether I wasted my time outlining the above, but I figured it's worth a shot anyway. ;-)

Bottom line is, 3D Gamers is here to stay, and I will continue to work on it to ensure it stays true to our vision as much as possible. But there will also be changes. Which ones, and when, we don't know yet, but our overall goal remains to make the site better, just like always in the eight years since we found it.

Frans said:

Good stuff...

Yeah, what he said.

Good grief--we recovered from the cdrom.com "rug jerked out from under us" debacle without losing anything, and the only thing we really had any concern about was our personal directories with our handy-dandy archiver tools, not the idgames/ tree. This time it's just got to be moved, you know, like when you move stuff to a new computer :)

Anyway, there are always answers, and we'll take care of things. Now, as the nuke inspector said, "If you see me running, try to keep up," just in case you notice me in panic mode.

Thanks for the detailed answers, Frans.

NiGHTMARE said:

the idgames archive maintainer, Mr. Halderman, is a person and not a machine.

Or so you think...

But seriously, due to the Newstuff Chronicles needing to get done, I tend to leave things that show up late in the weekend because otherwise the reviewers then have to deal with "It was there before TNC was published! How could you not have reviewed it yet?!?" junk.

And sometimes the person/machine isn't around for a few days, such as last week during Mardi Gras.