Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

This Just In, Doom Movie Is Terrible

You know, I really cannot trust these reviews.

I'm not that bothered about the lack of hell, or it not being true to the video game. It's true enough, if it was any similiar, the movie would be spoilt because we would know what was about to happen.

Think about it this way: Movies are like Fan Fiction. It makes it more interesting.

We knew from day one Doom wouldn't have hell. I believe one of the first articles about it stated that it was not based on Doom, but more so on the Doom universe.

Confusion, confusion, confusion LOL! We've all heard all kinds of different things about this upcoming movie that hasn't been released yet--I know I have.

If there's gonna be no Hell or Marines or if there's gonna be a Bio-Force Gun instead of a real BFG, then the movie's gonna suck ass and not even be Doom and the title's a lie to get you pay-up to see a movie that sucks.

If there is gonna be these things, then the movie might be good.

I won't know with any surety either way any sooner than its date of release, Oct. 21st, 2005 (in the US).

I'm skeptical of the credibility of those reviews....

Whoever heard of a Bio-Force Gun!? A "life gun"!? ??? I always thought guns killed, but I'm not very smart. A Bio-Force Gun is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard of to-date.

Eeh, whenever I want Doom I'll probably just play the games, 'coz that's what Doom is anyway, see? It is a great video-game. :)

Winston,

The BFG is indeed called the bio-force gun, but Sarge reffers to it as what we all know and love.

Possible Spoilers!:

There is no hell. The mutations was caused by some alien chorosomes, or something along those lines.

There are marines, the squad that are sent up to mars are all marines.

Although, there are some scenes that are very Doomish, and then some that are very Doom3ish. For example:

There is one moment when Sarge and Reaper are confronted by a squad of 60 or so monsters.... You get the idea.

Unconscious said:
I'm not that bothered about the lack of hell, or it not being true to the video game. It's true enough, if it was any similiar, the movie would be spoilt because we would know what was about to happen.

This is very important when jugding a story: the plot and the argument aren't the same thing at all. Knowing there is Hell is like knowing there are trees in a forest. The "novelty" or "excellence" in the movie is going to revolve around the explanation of how the monsters come to be? Only if the movie sucks. What matters is the deployment of scenario where the marines face off with the evil beings; the descriptions of how the "genome" or whatever produces the invasion is there for dumbasses who expect that in every movie since Jurassic Park, more of less.

We knew from day one Doom wouldn't have hell.

What we "knew" from back then were mocking rumors about pinky being a guy on a wheelchair, that the monsters were mutants and not demons, and that the marines were a "swat team", heh.

I believe one of the first articles about it stated that it was not based on Doom, but more so on the Doom universe.

That isn't really a proper definition of "universe." That term is used for RPGs, serial paperback novels, and comic books to bind different series or sets together in a more or less compatible way. Like Spider-man and The Hulk can end up meeting, or like you can play different "adventures" without conflict or inconsistencies. It's a self-consistent setting, or a general scenario. Infact, if there is no Hell, the movie is based (or directly influenced by) on the DOOMs, but not on the DOOM universe, since it is incompatible with the games. Likewise DOOM 3 isn't even set on DOOM's "universe."

In short, it's looking bad; we haven't seen it and who knows, maybe the rogue reviewers were just spastic and it actually has some subtle way of being a good movie and a proper redition of the games, but I'll reserve that for a surprise at the theatre and not for delusions contrasting the signs we are getting.

Unconscious said:
The BFG is indeed called the bio-force gun, but Sarge reffers to it as what we all know and love.

Well if in fact the Sarge calls it a Big Fucking Gun, then that's a good thing. But I can't imagine any military-type organizations that deploy fighting men, or any gun-manufacturing people and companies calling any gun anything like a Bio-Force Gun.

Oh it would be nice and all to think that it'd be called a "life gun" because it could save your life, but it just doesn't really work that way and, in this movie (if it's in the movie like that), seems to go well beyond the essential suspension of disbelief.

I hope that the movie actually turns out to be good, but unfortunately at this time it does not seem to be shaping-up that way. I'll know more surely when and after it's released, and even more so if I actually see it.

Enough of talking like this for me. I know I was telling how this movie sux, but from now I'll judge it after seeing it.

And I would like to add, that I would really like DoomMovie to be exacly like Doom. Same stuff, plot, etc. We would know everything from the beggining, but who cares? A pack of marines (cuz one-marine-movie would be strange) blasting demons from hell and getting to hell itself to destroy evil, but without happy end... That's what I like to see. But it's already impossible, so let's just wait and see.

Bad feelings about it already but what to do.

"What we "knew" from back then were mocking rumors about pinky being a guy on a wheelchair, that the monsters were mutants and not demons"

The monsters are mutants, and pink is a guy in a wheelchair who mutated into the creature we all know and love.

*sighs*

WinstonSmith6079 said:

But I can't imagine any military-type organizations that deploy fighting men, or any gun-manufacturing people and companies calling any gun anything like a Bio-Force Gun.

I can imagine less calling it the Big Fucking Gun.

myk said:

What we "knew" from back then were mocking rumors about pinky being a guy on a wheelchair, that the monsters were mutants and not demons, and that the marines were a "swat team", heh.

How is that any different now than what we knew back then? And also did you notice the Pinky Demon has a wheelchair attached to him in the trailer? And isn't this team more like a Swat Team than marines? I'd say whoever had the info first was pretty dead on.

In short, it's looking bad; we haven't seen it and who knows, maybe the rogue reviewers were just spastic and it actually has some subtle way of being a good movie and a proper redition of the games, but I'll reserve that for a surprise at the theatre and not for delusions contrasting the signs we are getting.

The purpose of critics and reviewers is to save us, the movie-goers, money from horrible movies that aren't worth watching. Thusfar, based on the thread in Doom General spoiling the entire story, the trailers, and the reviews, I'd say we have a pretty good pull of information pointing to the "Don't bother seeing this movie" thread, and that's not even because it's not Doom. For christs sake there aren't even more than 4 different monsters in this movie, and they don't even throw freaking fireballs.

Wobbo said:

LOL, you really cant tell hes being sarcastic? hes DISAGREEING WITH YOU

sorry man, several reviewers got to see pre-screenings, and it sucked. It happens all the time

That was my point.

Xenphire said:
The purpose of critics and reviewers is to save us, the movie-goers, money from horrible movies that aren't worth watching. [/B]

The purpose of the critics is to get payed a lot of money so hollywood can put "CRICS LOVE THIS MOVIE!" on their box so that we can dish out our money. Is it just me, or has anyone else bothered to notice that critics...aren't very critical at all?

myk said:
maybe the rogue reviewers were just spastic and it actually has some subtle way of being a good movie and a proper redition of the games, but I'll reserve that for a surprise at the theatre and not for delusions contrasting the signs we are getting. [/B]

By doing that, you're letting the bad movie makers win: you're shelling otu your money. you think they give half an ass whether or not you like the movie? Consider what I once planned to do..just sneak in :-). I don't want to pay to see a bad movie, but I don't want to risk it and not be first in line to see it... tough call, huh?

I checked the paper and I didn't win advance screening tickets. I was hoping to provide some further analysis, but alas, it seems my work here is done.

I prophecized Resident Evil in Space. I can almost guarantee that the screen writer said "Resident Evil in space" when he was pitching his script.

Nevertheless, regardless of what any of you say, you're all going to watch it. There's not one person here who said they aren't going to watch this movie due to mass suckage.

I'm going to give you all a tip on how to actually enjoy this movie, and improve the quality of your existence. Free of charge. Ignore the title of this film. Watch it knowing that the only thing in common the movie shares with the game we all know and love is the title.

Meow meow.

hm. spend $8 on the doom movie, or put it towards the hegre-archives.com 1 year subscription fund?

... hm. tough choice there.

It's more fanboyish to complain about all that shit, than to accept it. Like most people in this thread have done.

I don't care if it doesn't have Hell.

Yaaaaayyy! Doom movie gonna suck! It's gonna be lame...and it's not even gonna be like Doom! Yaaaaayyy!

What a surprise, too. All those other movies from a video-games were so great. Simply everyone loved 'em!

...Doom movie gonna suck YAAAAAAYYYY! *jumps up and down for joy*

I know and love the game. I don't think that I'm gonna love this movie.

baronofhell said:

God damn at least the imps could've thrown fireballs!! And I understand why they didn't go with the hell plot, but mutation and genome crap is just shitty. Creatures of unknown origin would've been fine with me. Oh, and one more thing, WHERE'S THE SHOTGUN????!!!!

Dave has it.

I think i will have a look at the first 10 minutes of the first disc of the "CD-Version" and then decide if i give my 8 Euros to the cinema.
Sorry, but i dont trust them and i just cant trow away money. (Hartz 4 victim..... :-/ )

EDIT: Readed the other topic...
I wont see this movie, not even in "CD-Version". Period.

POTGIESSER said:
Nevertheless, regardless of what any of you say, you're all going to watch it. There's not one person here who said they aren't going to watch this movie due to mass suckage.

Yeah, we've been playing the games its based on for years, but I'm avoiding two things; quite potentially wasting money and financing garbage with it. It seems I'm going to get a free ticket after all. Then if by some chance it's good I could go see it again with different friends, or something. I'd even pay for it then.

I'm going to give you all a tip on how to actually enjoy this movie, and improve the quality of your existence. Free of charge. Ignore the title of this film. Watch it knowing that the only thing in common the movie shares with the game we all know and love is the title.

Eh, only if it's good. If not here's my advice; mock the movie and flame it at heart's content. Laughing out loud at the cinema when it isn't a comedy is sometimes kind of rude, but hell, there are exceptions.

Meow meow.

Woof! Grrr! *chomp*

There is no point giving slack to something just to be "understanding." And being critical, even occasionally vicious, is not a sign that one isn't enjoying oneself.

Unconscious said:
I don't care if it doesn't have Hell.

The fact that there is no Hell isn't central, but is a big telltail sign of what type of movie it's appearing to be, among many other things we've seen or heard.

It all seems like "whining" to people having religious expectations about it. If someone thinks they like it as far as what's presented or known, then instead of complaining about the criticism, they'll be able to simply praise it. This is a forum for discussion, not some sycophant house organ for anything DOOM.

Yeah, there's entertainment to be made of the Doom movie. What some of you people don't yet realize is that it should be at the film's expense. Lighten up a little.

Holy shitz0r5, out of nowhere come I again!

Wow, with as much fun as I've had reading this thread, I can't wait for the movie to actually come out. Not to see it, mind you, just to read all the flames it gets here. ** (Oh wait, ** is cenzored).

I'll see it eventually, I won't lie. Just whenever I have the extra cash (extra being after court fines, cigarettes, pot and women). Oddly enough, based solely on the reviews I'm thinking the novels were much more faithful. Wow, that felt wrong.

You notice something though? Comic books get better movie conversion treatments. Hell, even FF sucked, and it was made by the people that made the game for Christ's sake. That sucks. Oh well. And IIRC, one of the reviews mentioned a Halo movie; well, other than the fun gameplay, I despise Halo for blatantly ripping off everything from Aliens to Starship Troopers and the most obvious one, the Doom space suit concept, so it deserves to suck.

On the other hand, I'd like to see a MGS movie. The game was like a movie anyway. As long as it had Michel Biehn(s/p). Good actor imo.

Anyway, I'm gonna rent some old Hulk Hogan movies and the Alien movies just to get pumped up. I'll probably go in stoned, come out without a buzz and cursing, but oh well. Now to return to HL2.

EDIT: I hate the guy that posted under me already, and that's the first post by him I read. Where the hell did he come from? Figured it'd be safer than making a new post, plus he probably won't catch on if I add it AFTER but ABOVE him.

Ya'll have shitty taste in movies. No matter WHAT way the Doom movie had been made, it would have sucked, because the concept is blatantly stupid.

"OMG MARINES SHOOTING DEMONS ON MARS I LUV BEING 14 YEAR OLD"

Not even Werner fucking Herzog could salvage that shit. Grow the fuck up. Enjoy the game, but keep it in your pants and don't tell anyone "how c00l DooM is" because ya'll are greasy-haired losers and nobody gives a shit if you smoke pot or eat babies over a flaming pentagram, it doesn't make you cool.

Wavelength, out.

Weston said:

Grow the fuck up. Enjoy the game, but keep it in your pants and don't tell anyone "how c00l DooM is" because ya'll are greasy-haired losers and nobody gives a shit if you smoke pot or eat babies over a flaming pentagram, it doesn't make you cool.

i'm not following you, what are you getting at?

we are not pleased with the aparent crappiness of the doom movie and somehow that makes us all young, teenaged poser-goths, and that makes you feel you need to take an initiative against us?

really, did i miss something? nothing i like more than some random person who just joined the forums trying to come in acting all tough and denouncing everybody or some unseen "they" (or in this case an unellaborated "you").

seriously though, i don't think the fact that its Doom constitutes that it should suck as a movie.