Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Doom's #1

No plot? Doom has a brilliant, intricate plot that advances throughout the entire game. It could have made an awesome movie. It would have made a great plot for Doom 3 as well, much better than the generic crap they used a science fiction writer to come up with for that game.

Fredrik said:

No plot? Doom has a brilliant, intricate plot that advances throughout the entire game. It could have made an awesome movie.

I wouldn't call it intricate as it is pretty basic. Still would make a kick ass movie, though. Especially if Hell was done right.

exp(x) said:

You're surely wrong.

The fact that I've already seen it once without paying for myself and still would pay to see it at least one more time (if anything, just for the FPS scene) proves YOU wrong, my friend ;)

dsm said:

Will you forget about the game's lack of a story for a second? The basic concept is good and can be explored easily. It's not only possible to make a different and *gasp!* in-depth plot set in the Doom universe, but there are even many ways to do it. Nobody said it had to be a faithful retelling of the plot in the games. Hence, there's no excuse not to at least try and get a decent plot out of it.

Will you forget about the movie's inclusion of your definition of Hell for a second? You write a pretty long winded flame about something you've never seen, and expect it to be accurate.

The film does include "Hell", just not a literal one; however, they do not discard the idea of a literal Hell at all. And an unexplored subplot of the ENTIRE movie is that human beings are evolved from some strange humanoid species they uncover on Mars that was affected by this "chromosome"....Where the chromosome came from is never explained, only that it was harvested by this race.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the story "The Call of Cthulhu", but it's message is that one day humanity will learn too much that they do not wish to know and will either destroy themselves outright, or fall back into a "safer" dark age....Now, just think for a second that if this other race did indeed discover a literal hell, and escaped to earth to start afresh, they would have hidden and lost all knowledge of their discovery. Humanity as we know it, in the film, is just rediscovering old news and in turn opening a gateway to hell.

Sounds thin? Very thin, even to me... but if you'd actually see the film it would make sense to you. Until then, do not talk trash about what kind of movie it is until you've paid your $4.50 to see it.

Fredrik said:

No plot? Doom has a brilliant, intricate plot that advances throughout the entire game. It could have made an awesome movie. It would have made a great plot for Doom 3 as well, much better than the generic crap they used a science fiction writer to come up with for that game.

I believe you are smoking sherm...There was nothing intricate about the plot at all. Anything intricate was created by YOU while you played. You got a 1 1/2 page blurb in the manual, and one at the end of each episode with a picture basically saying:

1) You are alone with only a pistol and a lot of dead buddies. Go kick ass!
2) Your job isn't done, there's another station (buy more DOOM now!)
3) You discover this new station (Nay, entire planetoid) is transported over Hell. You rappel down and get ready to fight in Hell.
4) You win and are transported back to Earth....But Hell has come to Earth!

The end.

The SuperFly said:

For those of you who haven't seen it and talk about how terrible it is, see it first, then you may talk trash.

No. Shut the fuck up. If everything I've heard about the Doom movie-- the synopsis, the reviews, word of mouth-- confirms that this is a movie that I would find utterly disappointing, I'm sure as hell not risking the kind of money I'd have to shell out (more than $4.50, FYI) just to go see if I should mistrust my judgment.

Also, yes, the games didn't have a "plot" per se. The word to use here is "Premise". Simple, Clear-Cut or Action-Friendly would be words describing this premise. Still, the premise was abandoned, and it resulted in a mediocre splatter movie. "Inexcusable", "Sellout" and "Wholly Unnecessary" are more words for you.

Numbermind said:

No. Shut the fuck up. If everything I've heard about the Doom movie-- the synopsis, the reviews, word of mouth-- confirms...

Some cheese with your whine?

If you haven't even given it a go in the theater, you cannot talk shit from a review or a novelization. Nuff said. Shut your face and stop trying to discuss things you have no knowledge of, kid.

Texas Libra said:

The fact that I've already seen it once without paying for myself and still would pay to see it at least one more time (if anything, just for the FPS scene) proves YOU wrong, my friend ;)

Now that's what I call logic! My negation of your claim that "everyone here will end up seeing for [sic] it...and PAYING!" has been totally debased.

The SuperFly said:

Some cheese with your whine?

If you haven't even given it a go in the theater, you cannot talk shit from a review or a novelization. Nuff said. Shut your face and stop trying to discuss things you have no knowledge of, kid.

I've already read plenty of reviews, I know what to expect, I don't like what I hear, and consequently I honestly doubt I need to experiment to test my belief.

Thank you and good day.

KwadDamyj said:

I've already read plenty of reviews, I know what to expect, I don't like what I hear, and consequently I honestly doubt I need to experiment to test my belief.

Thank you and good day.

Fair enough, no one can force you to see the movie.

But don't talk about what they 'should have done', or 'didn't do', or 'could have done better', and try and dissuade others from seeing it. I'm not saying you've done this, but there are a lot of LONG winded rants here from people who haven't even seen the film telling others how bad it is and why....That's really pathetic in my eyes.

Bloodshedder said:

Stop being a pompous know-it-all right now and I won't squelch your posting privileges.

Suck my dick. if what I say infuriates you, it's because I'm right.

The SuperFly said:

I'd mock you right now, except I think you do far too good a job of doing the job for me.

The SuperFly said:

And that, my friends, is a perfect way to get yourself thrown in the drink.

I think he has a very valid point to be able to defend a movie he enjoyed.

I was put off by the reviews big time before I went to see it, but after seeing it I enjoyed it immensely. I won't bother arguing with any of you about it though because you're the same people I've argued politics with and it will just go in circles for weeks!

Seeing how most of the reviews have quite detailed descriptions of the movie's content I'd say SuperFly's 'you haven't seen the movie so STFU' attitude is full of shit. That's what reviews are for.

He could have defended the movie without being a complete asshole about it.

Clicking refresh after Bloodshedder's post made me laugh for a short while.

I don't need to watch this movie to decide it's shit. The math isn't that hard:

sex-stereotyped characters + people running around shooting things senselessly + terrible one liners + The Rock - any passing resemblance to its namesake = not something i'm too interested in watching

The only way I'd find a Doom movie interesting was if it were so accurate to the games (Doom and Doom II) it was self-satirical and pointedly ridiculous. In particular a live action version of Map32 would be hilarious to watch.

Belial said:

Seeing how most of the reviews have quite detailed descriptions of the movie's content I'd say SuperFly's 'you haven't seen the movie so STFU' attitude is full of shit. That's what reviews are for.

My whole beef is with people discussing what they THEORETICALLY would not like the movie and saying how bad it is because of this when they haven't formulated their own opinions by seeing the material. It's like writing a thesus paper on cancer when you don't even know what a cell is.

At the same time I'm also trying to get a few people to see it, then judge it, because I honestly want another DOOM movie.

I'm very interested in where they're taking the franchise after the backlash from fans, and if they will indeed go the way of my idea of "forgotten discoveries". That would be a very plausible way to lead into a sequel, with the Marines on Mars actually having opened the gate themselves through negligence.

I saw a post somewhere about how they didn't even dress like marines, etc. The only thing that wasn't accurate about their gear was that they didn't have helmets and NVG's, otherwise, they had a very plausible wardrobe (I should know, I did it for 4 years). The only thing that was lame about their gear (and was frogiveable) was that not one special forces marine had a set of NVG's...The man's light goes out and he's fucked. Good for suspense, bad for realism. But then again, how many legions of demons have you seen taking military action against a soverign nation in reality?

I still find game-to-movie conversions strangely laughable due to my belief that quasi-Holodeck-style virtual reality will one day replace---or at least become an alternative to---traditional flatscreen cinema one day in the future.

Ergo why I have ambitions of being a game designer instead of a film director. Though admittedly just because we may switch to VR won't make some of the best of filmmaking obsolete. Far from it. "Aliens" is still "Aliens", Wallace and Gromit is still Wallace and Gromit, etc.

And Mortal Kombat is still the best game-based movie ever. IMO. With the first RE being a close second.

If we have such a problem with the way Hollywood does things, then we should collectively stop bitching, not spend our money on the movie and make our own machinima.

Sadly it's the only one with the vested capital to make the kind of movie you'd need to make to do DOOM justice. You could try to set up your own company, make bajillions upon momillions of dollars like George Lucas, and then make a "proper" DOOM movie independantly.

Otherwise, we're all subject to the whims of the man!

A Quick Question to the people that have seen and liked the movie.

Did you also enjoy the Resident Evil movie or perhaps Event Horizon?

CapNapalm said:

A Quick Question to the people that have seen and liked the movie.

Did you also enjoy the Resident Evil movie or perhaps Event Horizon?

I've seen and own both on DVD. I liked Event Horizon a lot but didn't care for the ending. As for Resident Evil, it's just not very good despite some gem moments.