Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

The /newstuff Chronicles #272

I can understand Graf Zahl being reluctant to encourage the use of Legacy, he has his own fine port to promote and which Im happy to endorse. In all honesty the only problems I have had with Legacy apart from that file zdoom uses were caused by buggy wads or by me upgrading my graphics card and forgetting to change my opengl files (took me a few days to get legacy working with my old voodoo banshee).

Im happy to use any of the ports for the wads that need them, after all they are all free and downloadable, its fairly easy to give each its own folder. The reason I design for legacy is laziness, I cant be arsed learning how to design around that hexen hub thingy zdoom uses also I love being able to easily add 3D bits to my maps, as long as there are folk like myself and kristus etc legacy wont be dead and I hope that there are others who will help keep the other ports alive too.

I wish someone would set up something like zdaemon for legacy though (or for gzdoom)

Well, I took a quick run around in Phobia with GZdoom, and with all the bugs that it give you you would have less issues with just using Legacy.

And I must say that I prefer that people don't play this wad at all, rather than they play it with GZdoom.

kristus said:

and with all the bugs that it give you you would have less issues with just using Legacy.

Thanks for your help! If nobody plays it I will never be able to sort out the problems. I won't even know whether they are just incompatibilities or real bugs that might affect other WADs as well.

Martin Howe said:

Sure, but unlike with Legacy, if you report it (in more than just a terse note on the news forum), it is likely to be fixed in a reasonable time as it is being proactively updated. How many years do I have to wait for the next update to Legacy (August 1004 and counting...) :P?

EDIT: Sorry, 2004, but it feels like 1004 :)

Completely rewriting a port from scratch in a new language does have a peculiar tendancy to take time.

Phobia Read Me:
You may absolutely NOT:
-use any of the resources from this package to build additional wads.

:'-(. I'm hurt Kristus. I'm really hurt.

Why? So people can bastardize and water down my work to lose all personality and originality like it happened with Gothic?

People should just make their own textures.

*shoots himself*

P.S. I nominate Holy Hell to be a contestant for this year's "Mockaward"

I use Legacy from time to time myself, along wiht other ports too though I must admit I tend to play ZDoom more though if I find a good Legacy wad then I'll definitely play it.

I stopped Legacy mapping after a newer version of Legacy wouldn't run a new wad I released a few days after the updated Legacy was put out and kept reporting segment violation errors. I got a bit miffed and started dabbling in ACS and the idea of being able to add stuff from Hexen as well as creating new monsters and guns made me switch. Now GZDoom is out I can finally get 3D floors back and they're as easy to add into the map as Legacy's 3D floors.

Being able to add my own static light sources without the hassle of scripting is a big bonus but also being able to configure them the way I can makes it edge out Legacy for me.

Craigs said:

Take a look at Nimrod. <_<

It never crashed for me (when played with GZDoom!) :P

And Kristus: Who said anything about wanting textures? All I care about is the music! :D

I made a CD from it.

Hi ninja, where do i learn how to make 3d floors for gzdoom ?? if possible I might make gzdoom versions of my new wads, some old ones too maybe.

It's pretty much the same as Legacy's method as it uses a dummy sector with a tagged line and you use the ceiling and floor heights to set it up. I would recommend using Doombuilder for it though.

First up: Get Doombuilder.

Second: Grab this .cfg file and put it into your Doombuilder folder. You'll now be able to access the GZDOOM project under the projects list in DB and therefore place your 3D floors.

In Doombuilder look for "sector_set3dfloor" under the 'sectors' sub-menu when you go to choose an effect for your dummy sector's linedef.

The GZDOOM forum has a documentation thread here. Second post shows you how to do it.

And that's it. You should be able to do it no bother.

And it's nice to see you again Mystic. If you ever decide to add some ACS into your wads I can lend some help if you need it. I'm more than hapopy to help.:)

Thanks Ninja, if its that easy I just might be releasing stuff in the next couple of weeks.

GO JAMBOS

OOPS I think I double posted, Im all am bare assed, anyway thanks again for those links, that gzdoom forum was especially useful.

Thanks. Ive downloaded some of the other wads, the two maps by Russell Pearson are smucking fart but thats to be expected from him.

Why did the creator of Sky Temple state that people can't use his map as a base for modification? There aren't any custom graphics, music, or sounds, and the map itself is average. -_-

What does that have to do with anything? If he doesn't want people to modify his map and release it, that's his prerogative.