Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Double Shotgun Doom?

All the quote unquote news guys are slacking off I guess so here I am. J.C. "Sailorscout" "Golbez" "I made Containment Area" "Denton" Bengtson sent in the news that some enterprising dorks have released version 1.0.0 of what they creatively call DS Doom, which runs on that funky little handheld that beat the living crap out of that stupid Sony brick whats-its-face. As this is a first release not everything is totally up to par, like music or touchscreen control (as in, it has neither), but the Youtube videos linked seem to show that it otherwise works like the game we've known and loved for 12.5 years or so. And it's based off the PrBoom code, in case that somehow makes or breaks the deal for you. If they advance it enough that I can wirelessly play Doom with people in Norway I might just have to pick me up a DS.

No stylus-turning yet. :(

And the ignorant comments on the original news post suggest some people don't even believe mouse control was in the original game. Wow.

I've had my DS for a while now, I half tempted to buy GBA doom.. but anyway, I'll just buy a media device instead. Neat

once i got my flash cart i was tempted to port chocolate doom to the DS, of course i'm entirely lazy and never got around to it

iori said:

half tempted to buy GBA doom

when you do, don't forget to start creating custom maps for it ;)

I'm already playing it on my DS. The only problem I have with it is getting used to the controls. Overall, it's pretty sweet.

Nautilus said:

I'm already playing it on my DS. The only problem I have with it is getting used to the controls. Overall, it's pretty sweet.

Does the music work/sound right?

This is great news.
I also read that quake is being ported.
Would be so cool to play doom2 or quake wifi when i'm at work.
I hope they add some of the cool ds things like stylus mouse movement and selecting weapons via touch screen.
Never know maybe ID them selves will port some of their games to ds.

They should just use Timidity and FreePats for the music. xDescent, xRott, xDuke, xHeretic, and xHexen all use it. Shouldn't be too bad on file size.

Dan said:
They should just use Timidity and FreePats for the music.

PrBoom supports that, so unless they removed it, it should be there.