Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

The /newstuff Chronicles #312

Naan said:
Is there a way to tell what IWAD a given pwad needs (if it's made for Doom/Doom2/Heretic/Hexen) ?

We should note it in the notes box, in the submission system, so Bloodshedder can add it in with the rest of the info.

You have a point there, as T/nCs have always listed the game used. It should go on the same line where the screen shots and other info is found.

Cool. So how often will we get a newstuff update on the main page? i.e every 10 new reviews or something?

Wonderful to have another /newstuff Chronicles, the blood is slowly flowing back into my brain. I'm also very happy about the new reviewing system, it's refreshing to see many different 'colours' of opinions in one go.

Cutman said:

Cool. So how often will we get a newstuff update on the main page? i.e every 10 new reviews or something?

I think a weekly digest still remains the best method. this way, its hard for anybody to miss an edition of T/NC - whereas if there was a static number of reviews than we might have a new T/NC every few days and it would be easy for some people to miss it.

TawmDee said:

DEATHZ0R SUCKS.

If you think he sucks, then make your review! :(

Whatever.

The new review system is awesome but I just missed deathz0r's review style... :(

Steeveeo said:

Yay! I like this new review system. Just inputted a review for REFUSE.

Please learn to use apostrophes in your contractions.

Hooray, my screenie is on teh frontz :D

I'm very glad bloodshedder set this up. Before I found the "where is newstuff" thread, I had thought newstuff was gone and I somehow missed the announcement...

Heeey! This is awesome :D. Perhaps I should upload some of my cruddy wads for reviewage now.

*edit*

Thar, I just uploaded like....7 wads D:

Mechadon said:

Heeey! This is awesome :D. Perhaps I should upload some of my cruddy wads for reviewage now.

*edit*

Thar, I just uploaded like....7 wads D:

The purpose of uploading COMPLETED PROJECTS to the idgames archive is not so they can get reviewed but rather so that they're preserved and available for all. When will people get this?

I want people to play my maps. If I get good reviews, more people will play my maps. When will people get this?

Bucket said:
If I get good reviews, more people will play my maps. When will people get this?

$50 for a radiant review; mastercard and visa accepted!

Bucket said:

I want people to play my maps. If I get good reviews, more people will play my maps. When will people get this?

Seconded. I want promotion.

Someone review crea_one.wad already.

Creaphis said:

Seconded. I want promotion.

Someone review crea_one.wad already.

best boom effects I've ever seen. Conveyor belt is genius. really spooky.

There, I reviewed it. That'll be 5 dollars.

Heh, I really like the new system of reviewing. Dean could still help out now and then, you know!

Csonicgo said:
Dean could still help out now and then, you know!

The man has moved on to bigger things, like the Cacowards.

Csonicgo said:

best boom effects I've ever seen. Conveyor belt is genius. really spooky.

There, I reviewed it. That'll be 5 dollars.

Heh, I really like the new system of reviewing. Dean could still help out now and then, you know!

Two words per dollar eh? You drive a hard bargain.

Mancubus II said:

The purpose of uploading COMPLETED PROJECTS to the idgames archive is not so they can get reviewed but rather so that they're preserved and available for all. When will people get this?

Oh no, trust me I get it...this newstuff was, more or less, a reminder for me to upload a bunch of older wads that I had sitting around. I had renamed them and updated their readmes just so they would be legit to upload...it's just that I could never remember to do it till now :P. The [possible] reviewage is just a nice bonus as far as I'm concerned.

myk said:

$50 for a radiant review; mastercard and visa accepted!

I will pay! LOL, this would be funny... A map like "wow" getting something like: best architecture and outstanding gameplay -_-.

The new review system is really awesome! Great job! I will take some wads to review in the future.

Maybe the reviewer could noted like this, if it's not a hassle to add: Reviewed by: Scuba Steve (instead of Reviewed by: Scuba Steve).

RjY said:

http://rjy.org.uk/1207983612

Are we allowed to copypaste stuff from our own sites into the review system?

Ah, I didn't know we had independent /newstuff reviewers. You make good points. You're right about point one - I figured that most people wouldn't notice the baron's death, but that effect was really more of an afterthought once the rest of the conveyor belt was working and wasn't a tremendous waste of time to set up. My tremendous waste of time in that room was trying to make decent conveyor belt textures. Point two should be fixed, and I've considered updating the wad to retain that current puzzle but make it more obvious - even some glowing light on the pickaxe could work wonders I imagine - but I've imagined remaking the whole level as the start to some larger project in the future, so I haven't felt it necessary to improve this file. Point three wasn't exactly a "tremendous" amount of effort either - it's a modified copy-paste of the upstairs room. I'm not sure I like the elevator either but for some reason I thought I should provide a route back upstairs, so that players could still reach the whole level before final exit. I think that all these issues stem from the fact that I planned some neat ideas ahead of time without planning a layout that would really suit them. I'm trying to use graph paper now.

I find it somewhat honoring that you spend so much text on my map, while you sum up your experience with B2B in a mere line and a half.

RjY said:

Are we allowed to copypaste stuff from our own sites into the review system?

I just copy and pasted my Cacowards article for the CC3 review :P

GreyGhost said:
/newstuff Chronicles rocked by "cash for comment" scandal!

I'm waiting for the map-makers-send-money-or-they'll-get-bad-reviews scandal...

This system, like any that could exist, has its ups and downs: on the one hand, this allows reviews to be done much more effectively and regularly than when all reviewing is dependent on one person (deathz0r) who may not be able to keep up with the new wads. The fact that all reviews are approved improves the system more.

The only real problem with it is that, with this system, the reviews are not all from the same person's perspective. Although I suppose that, if the reviewers know what they're talking about, then this won't be too much of an issue.

In any case, glad to see /newstuff back on track! :)

TawmDee said:

DEATHZ0R SUCKS.

In response to this, I shall do a review of 32in24-6. Yeah, let's see who sucks now