Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
boris

Doom Builder 2.1.0 released

After quite some time, CodeImp has released a new version of Doom Builder 2, bringing it to version 2.1.0 (not to be confused with the previous version, which was 2.0.1). The highlights of this version include:

• Docked panels: Panels on the left or right side that can optionally hide automatically. Built-in panels provide mass undo/redo functionality and edit selection controls. Plugins can also add panels.
  • Include system for game configurations. This greatly helps keeping the configurations clean and organized and makes maintenance easier.
  • Checks for all sorts of limitations of the map formats. You can no longer place anything outside the valid editing area and you can no longer exceed the maximum number of map elements (which would corrupt your map when saving).
  • Things no longer take up increasing amount of video memory, but use a constant amount of memory.
  • Copy/paste object properties now also in classic modes.
  • Improved sector triangulation (no more holes in textures in classic modes and sector floor/ceiling in visual mode)
  • Improved DECORATE support.
  • Improved TEXTURES support with distinct loading of 'walltextures', 'flats' and 'sprites'.
  • Added support for tall patches.
  • Zooming speed now customizable (see preferences).
  • Options to choose the buttons you want to see on the toolbar.
  • A lolzillion fixes, changes, optimizations and smaller additions.
Due to internal changes, some third party plugins may not work correctly anymore; please make sure to update them, too. So what are you waiting for? Hop over to the download page and get your copy!

DooM Builder 2 is a great editor, but since updating it on occasion when I save a level and I test it out, everything gets messed up! To clarify, I'm mapping for Hpack, using the resources 'Heretic.wad' and Hpack_BuildXX.pk3.

The weapon sprites become funky colors, the player's view is at a height of 0, and all original entities in Heretic don't show up. It's as if it defaults to using DooM settings as opposed to Heretic, but it doesn't ALWAYS happen when I save, only sometimes. Sounds like a weird bug in the new DooM Builder 2 release, cause this never happened before!

It's as if saving might on occasion cause the level itself to loose the ability to use the right resources, but if I combine the level for real into the build and load JUST the build, that map alone still has the problem while things still work properly in other levels.

It's a damn good thing i keep backing up the map lol!

I apologise if this has already been addressed/answered, but does DB2 support compiling ZDoom map scripts which use the #import function (libraries)?

I keep getting "couldn't find 'whatever.acs'" errors when I try to compile them, I can't seem to find anything that would make the compiler point to where the file is. Help would be very much appreciated.

Make sure whatever.acs is in the same directory where you .wad file is that you are editing. I will add support for custom include directories later.

Okay. :)

Incidentally, the .acs file and .o file are also in the WAD file containing my maps, and I figured that DB2 should be able to access to them, although it appears not. Is that also a planned feature?

kristus said:

Still need to use something else to make and view Hexen ACS scripts.

What exactly is happening? Does DB2 work in ZDoom though, but not Hexen?

DB2 is a pretty powerful editor and I love using it. This latest version does seem to take quite a bit longer to save maps though. So far I'm only working with a small amount of sectors and linedefs, too.

Well, it won't read behaviour lumps like other editors. Which is ok. But from hat I can tell, the compiled scripts don't work in Vanilla hexen. It will not crash or anything. But it appears with the little script I did to test that it simply won't run.

You'll have to place a command line switch to ACC to compile old-style, so Hexen can understand the scripts.

Uhm... tell me something i don't know. But DB2 doesn't allow command line options in it's script feature. All it gives you a "compile script" button. Since I am working in "Hexen mode" this should mean that it actually makes scripts that work in Hexen.

No. Because everyone I talk to says it's better to use the new ACC. And it's not my job to make Hexen mode work. It's the developers of the editor which are supposed to make it work as intended for all users. And if I and others don't tell them what is not working. It's unlikely they'll find out.

This is nobody's job, lets get that straight before hobbs comes in to tell me how to do my job.

I see I have the Hexen compiler shipped with DB2 but missing a configuration that makes it work. I'll see to it that it gets fixed.

Still it should probably be possible to specify parameters for the script compilers...

I want to keep the user interface clear of any options that a "normal" user doesn't really need. For advanced users there are configurations to make/modify.

A short clarification on what's behind a Game Configuration:

The Game Configuration defines that lumps that belong to the map. One of these lumps is SCRIPTS which can be edited with the script editor so it has a line saying, for example:

script = "ZDoom_ACS.cfg"
This tells DB to use that specific Script Configuration to set up the script editor to edit this lump. You can find this configuration in the Scripting subdirectory. Aside from a whole lot of syntax highlighting and intellisense information, the Script Configuration also specifies the compiler to use, and also the parameters for the compiler.
compiler = "zdoom_acc";
parameters = "-I "%PT" -I "%PS" %FI %FO";
The Compiler Configurations can be found in one of the Compiler subdirectories, which have the required files to compile, but you don't need to edit that for just your need (the parameters). Just edit the line in the Script Configuration to set your parameters.

Now, I'm not sure if the vanilla Hexen compiler that is with DB2 works (long time ago since I tried that), but you can use it in place of the ZDoom one by just setting the 'compiler' setting to 'hexen_acc' which points to the configuration in the Compilers\Hexen subdirectory (see acc.cfg for the 'hexen_acc' structure).