Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Escalation Studios To Work On Doom 4 SnapMap

Escalation Studios announced via tweet on August 19 that the independent development studio has been brought on board by id Software to assist in further development of the Doom 4 SnapMap built-in editor feature. Originally announced at E3 2015, it has been referred to by various media sources as part of a new Bethesda.net social platform for mod sharing. Bethesda's Pete Hines and id Software's Marty Stratton have issued conflicting statements on whether or not modding capabilities beyond SnapMap will become available in the future, or if SnapMap's capabilities will extend beyond fastening together developer-provided prefabs. Thanks to The Doom Wiki, from which I stole this pretty much verbatim, because that's how their Creative Commons license works!!

Like, DOOM 4 is coming next spring. I think about this everyday. I am, as they say in Wolfenstein 3D - 'psyched'.

The community surrounding DOOM 3 was pretty quiet. Stuff like SnapMap are really cool features that have been re-introduced from the Quake 2 days. It was such a mega huge community. It would have been cool at the time. DOOM was a way cooler scene, too. I remember the HOARD of DOOMers who came out on DOOM's birthday to see the beta of Bruce Lewis's glDoom ( on IRC L The communities around the newer titles (DOOM3, Quake 4) showed a lack of, uhm, spirit. It was noticably depressing.

First.

Push comes to Shove. You guys have got to start commenting right to the front page. There should be a mailbag. And damnit, these blogs are killing your brain cells! Its just so easy to go post on your blog. Fighting over the front page and mailbag totally shows how we're not dead. Come on, ' First post'!

I know a lot of you probably have a web page. Its so cool that you can link a YouTube video of a girl farting right in your post that I don't have to go to your web site?

This is the community.

Well if Bad Robot can make a mode for TF2 anything is possible.

Honestly I'd rather hear more about Bethesda.net and what it's going to do differently (if anything) from similar services like Battle.net. I think that's gonna play a larger role in Doom 4's longevity than its modding capabilities, especially if Bethsoft decides to try the whole mod monetization nonsense again with Bethesda.net (which I have a gut feeling they will; I hope I'm wrong though).

If Bethesda.net makes you log in to do anything single-player related, I'm gonna punch a baby.

Xaser said:

If Bethesda.net makes you log in to do anything single-player related, I'm gonna punch a baby.

Hopefully the baby Jesus, that kitten-murdering bastard.

They need to do something genius if they want to gain the support and dollars of the existing classic DOOM community.

Anyhow, now why would Jesus harm a kitten? Hmmm...

Breeder said:

They need to do something genius if they want to gain the support and dollars of the existing classic DOOM community.

I think they're mostly focused on bringing a new and larger audience in, not appeasing a tiny group like us.

Billy Baron said:

Like, DOOM 4 is coming next spring. I think about this everyday. I am, as they say in Wolfenstein 3D - 'psyched'.

The community surrounding DOOM 3 was pretty quiet.

I've even had dreams of it, that's how obsessed I am with it. I can't wait.

I'm certain that Bethesda will try to make some type of market from the DooM 4 SnapMap in some way or form.
Ever since the final thread of ID Software left (John Carmack) I would expect a lack of end user dynamic creativity to happen as well.

These are just my predictions however.

Breeder said:

Anyhow, now why would Jesus harm a kitten? Hmmm...

Let me introduce you to the Infancy Gospel of Thomas. This Baby Jesus would probably kill all the kittens in a village if one hissed at him.

They better not fuck this up because if they do, all hope of modern id is doomed. I would not be surprised if Bethesda does the paid mod shit again because the backlash will be stronger the second time around.

Glaice said:

They better not fuck this up because if they do, all hope of modern id is doomed.

I see what you did there. But yeah seriously they better not screw this up, and I heard there is going to be no co-op campaign, you have to make co-op maps until the co-op campaign dlc comes out. That's why I don't want Escalation to screw up. ugh...

Am I the only one bothered by the hipster-esque nomenclature of "Snap(insert fad word here)"

Or am I confusing Snapchat with Instagram's hipster following?

"Snapmap" just sounds entirely too trendy.

Buckshot said:

Am I the only one bothered by the hipster-esque nomenclature of "Snap(insert fad word here)"

Or am I confusing Snapchat with Instagram's hipster following?

"Snapmap" just sounds entirely too trendy.

I think they called it that because of how it works, from what they showed, the different rooms "snap" together, auto-creating a door. They have premade rooms that you can "snap" together and you can even make your own rooms!

Yeah, Snapchat is about snapping pictures and Snapmap is about snapping together prefabs. So I think these names at least make sense.