Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

DWBS

Guest Lt. Taggart

Afterglow ignore him. He maybe high on something. Hey "Hissy raper" release the damn megawad.

Then they'll MAKE them support scripts, idiot. It's only Doom.

I'm not even gonna bother to argue with that.

Guest _Dimiter_

My level used to crash ZDoom until I compressed it with wadptr. The point is that I sent it in BEFORE compressing it. I just hope if it is to make its way into that megawad, that ling will compress it first. I hope I don't get cut off for that! Ling, I can send you that wadptr thing or the compressed version if necessary. Earth to Linguica, Earth calling Linguica. Do you read me, Linguica?

Guest Argh!

Hah, I love it... I just state an opinion yesterday and a bunch of people go on the warpath. Heaven forbid mine differs from yours, eh?

I agree Stphrz, a map's challenge should rely on more than just a lack of ammo. However, there's clearly a big change if an author intended fighting revenants with a shotgun, but the player can just whip out the plasma-rifle from a previous map.

You make a good point Jon, that the final megawad probably should have been considered from the start. Course, without knowing exactly what came before, one has to assume the player already has all weapons. I'm guessing most mappers didn't do that, and I can't blame them. A sense of progression is important in a SP map. The 10-sector restriction surely limited the ways this could be conveyed, so mappers probably relied more on other methods like weapon/ammo availability. With maps being judged individually, it's a whole lot smarter for contestants not to consider the final megawad.

Anyway, obviously you can idclev to each map, I planned to do just that. But being a megawad I'm sure most people wont, and I just think that's unfortunate for the map authors. I feel it's a shame so many people wont experience their true intents.

Oh and Afterglow, kiss my a$$. ;D

Guest Excalibur_Z

Just make it so there's a Player 1 Start right next to a BossBrain that's clumped together with barrels. Blasting the barrels will kill your player and the BossBrain, and you progress to the next level with standard ammo.

Ling - if you want to edit the wads to do that, then by all means... helluvalot easier than "idclev"ing don't you agree? /me is lazy =)

Well, he set up this contest, secured a Voodoo 5 for the prize, waded through 138 levels(with the help of others), kept us up to date with regular news posts/screenshots of entries and has graciously offered to put together a megawad of the best levels. And people are bitching still. [whine] but my level won't play right if the player has weapons/health/armor/ammo from previous levels, Ling you have to add a patch/script or edit all the levels so that the player starts each level with default status bla bla bla[/whine]. STFU!!!!

Since the restriction was to work with Boom NOT zDoom, it's not gonna be reomved I'm sure. Chorzorons map don't work with either zDoom or legacy. (but it rules ;)

Guest crypto

kristus said:
What about the other ports then? Like Boom and MBF etc. Some of the maps don't even work in zDoom. Or Legacy. they just run in Boom and possibly MBF and/or SMMU.

I'm not so sure about this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't ZDoom built on top of Boom? Any map that works with Boom should work in ZDoom, though the reverse is certainly not true. I thought the whole point of making them Boom-compatible was because all the major ports (MBF, SMMU, etc.) were built off Boom.

ZDoom wasn't originally Boom compatible, it was built off of the base of WinDoom if I am not mistaken. Full Boom compatibility was added in around 1.14 or so, I think.

Guest _Dimiter_

not really. i tested it with zdoom ver. 1.18a and it didn't work right... the strangest thing is that, when compressed with wadptr, it wroked fine with zdoom and faster with (pr)boom. weird.