Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

csDoom Not Dead

The csDoom homepage has been updated with the news that the project is not in fact dead as pretty much everyone had assumed by now. So what has Fly been up to lately?

I have already added co-op, found some mistakes in the code which caused "an invalid page fault in module DOOMCL.EXE..." I have written a new version of the csdoom launcher as well. It will never show you "ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ....yyyyyy" or something like this. I don't want to tell you everything about the next release but I promise, you will be impressed :-)

Co-op over the internet? Who's up for a 8-way Requiem runthrough?

Guest Fear Keeper

Sounds Good to me...Co-ops Cool..

I am retarded!

Guest Excalibur_Z

There are only 4 player starts in Doom, Ling =)

I think the way it will work is that the first four people will spawn. The next four will then immediately spawn, splattering the first four people. If one of the first four people were to press space bar to respond, one of the last four would then be splattered. This should continue until all is sorted out.

I remember playing Co-op Doom2 on Heat.net, it was like a frame a second, and I didn't know this guy and kept accidentally fragging him, he had a lot of patience. "You know, you aren't really good at co'op" He said, and I laughed. Then shot him

Perhaps it was me on heat that you screwed. Most likely not, but it would be funny if i were. I played heat often, and most never played coop. Sounds ok for csdoom, though i won't take much advantage of it. Thanks to the creator anyway. keep up the good work.

If you play with the right person(s) coop games will be probably the most fun you've had in a long time.

Me and my friend Markus used to play our TC on coop (mostly episode 2). We used tactics to keep us both alive like sharing whatever ammo we found and all. It gave a great awesome feel and it really became COoperative.

We also played through Doom2 in coop. but the living end (map29) were missing Coop starts :(

Maybe in a differnt version.
We were using v1.666 back then. We check it in the editor and they weren't there.

4 big, rough 'n tough space marines all oiled up for battle , walking round HOLDING HANDS?
purleeese :@)

Guest _Dimiter_

Swedish Fish : Co-op starts were added in later versions, version 1.666 has the bug.

Lingiuca : What about that 10-sectors contest?

Spawning 5-8 through deathmatch spots? People usually place deathmatch spots through the map, not at the start... the people spawned in these spots are likely to get stuck or have to wait for the other people to catch up.

Guest wondersmith

AndrewB: you have the right idea about how 8-way co-op can work with 4 co-op starts, but it might not be so nasty as you describe. My buddy and I play co-op in Quake 2 maps with only one player start and usually no one gets splattered because the time required for his client to synchronize to my server gives me several seconds to clear out of the way. In an 8-way Internet csdoom game, different folks might sync up with the server at different speeds, giving the early birds time to move aside. It would also help if the server is smart enough to place incoming players in vacated co-op starts (if any are available) rather than occupied ones.

Anyway, I of course agree with Ebola about co-op being lots of fun! Remember, Doom was influenced by the movie "Aliens", in which the Space Marines played co-op. :-)

It was a while ago anyone discoussed it but if there's not enough Coop starts it would use some DM starts. But I don't know if they were plain DM starts or something you would make different with them when inserting them in the wad.

Bah i'll ask Boris or SoM.

I doubt it was you who I co'op'ed with long ago on Heat.net. Was your name Doomer571(or something)? Was your thumbnail of a green marines with white hair and goggles? Would be cool though.

It's really a non-issue, I don't know why most engines are so retarded about it. If an engine can detect that a spawn is blocked (which it does, how else can it make you telefrag), it can also do something about it. There's a good reason for telefrags in DM, you don't want people blocking teleports and spawnpoints after all, but in coop? Even if you run out of both sp starts and dm starts, and the engine is not prepared to delay your spawn, its pretty trivial for an engine to randomly try positions 32 units from a spawn if everything is occupied.

QW delays your spawn (how would a 4v4 match on dm3 work with 5 spawns anyway)? or some mods spawn you at health boxes.

Another question is whether or not you'll be able to find 3 other (good) people to co-op with at the same time.

A lot of them/us have beat the various levels so many times that playing through it with another player just isn't appealing.

Guest Fear Keeper

I for one Would play Dm Or Co-op.

It don't matter to me!

Guest Excalibur_Z

WADs specifically designed for co-op, with team based triggers, are fun. I'm making one right now that's designed for 4-player co-op... it's impossible to win with less than 4.

Guest peroxyd2s

i wonder if the next version will to record demos from client view....that would be great (like quake2/3)