Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

DWBS

Guest Excalibur_Z

I was going to submit a WAD but it was really going to be 10 sectors - these screenshots have more than 10 sectors in them. What's odd is that subsectors are allowed... I don't get it - makes the rules a little strange. Sectors-within-sectors don't count as one of the ten sectors?

If you don't know what I mean -- I'm talking about counting each pillar as a sector - each elevator, sniper position, crushing ceiling, door, ledge, etc. Too late now, I realize.

Guest Jim Bentler

No Excalibur_Z, you still do not understand the rules. The count does indeed include "subsectors." When you copy a sector exactly (linedefs and sidedefs in exactly the same position), you can have doom treat all of the copies as one sector.

I have never edited levels, so someone correct me if I did not explain it clearly and correctly.

Guest Excalibur_Z

Simply put, every polygon is a sector. I can see more than 10 polygonal sectors in each of these screenshots.

First screenshot, for example: Each of those pillars is a sector. The nukage pit is a sector. The raised floor is a sector. The floor the player stands on is a sector. Each area where there is a single light on the ceiling is a sector.

Counting conservatively, I see 11 sectors in the first screenshot. Of course, it's blurry, so there are probably more. Once I get the megawad I can tell you more.

Guest Retter

It's weird, when you think about it, you could make the largest level ever with 10 sectors by copying and pasting over and over and over again. By adding different textures and dividing line_defs you could go on forever given enough time. The trick is to make it fun and playable with nice asthetics. I'm not a single player type of doomer myself. Makes little sense to me. Ow well. This wad hopefully will have a balance of a few levels that would make good Deathmatch maps !!

Guest Xanadu

Not every polygon has to have it's own distinct sector id. You can have multiple polygons that have the same floor/ceiling height and floor/celing textures be all identified as the same sector.

This probably won't work, but I'll give it a shot...
|___________|

See, two raised sections in a room and only one sector.

Bah, told you it wouldn't work. Anyway, just imagine two raised bits in a room, with identical properties. They could both be the same sector.

Guest Excalibur_Z

Looking through the megawad in my favorite editor I see all the little tricks and scams those authors used... very very sneaky stuff! Since I never knew about the copy-paste thing, all these levels really fooled me into thinking they were much larger than 10 sectors. I'm not sure what application that would have outside of a sector-limited contest though, but it's pretty handy anyway =]