• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arioch

Romero E1 Contest Results

Guest Volte-Face

They should've got Romero to record UV demos of them all :D

Heh, it took me over a month to get Romero to play and judge them, but hey: I think I can arrange a release of UV demos of all the maps for Fall quarter 2023 if you want. ;)

Guest pablodictter

I really think that tobias munch's map is the best one on the whole contest...i mean, play it and you'll see.

My map is E1M1 so everyone will see that 2 days is not enough to make a decent level. Does this mean that because it's first and the winners level is last that my level was the worst?

*Rellik hangs self with mouse cord.

Judging from the screenshots... HELL NO. :p

I got 1 map particluarly in mind for that, myself.. Not gonna say wich though.

There were only two levels that seemed like they could have actually been in the original episode 1, E1M4 and E2M2.

Having said that, my favourite level was E1M8, closely followed by E2M6 :)

I don't think E2M5 should have been the winning entry. Don't get me wrong, it isn't bad, but it certainly isn't the best.

Thanks Ebola! When the hell is NewDoom gonna finish judging their contest?!

I'm still waiting for the results of the Doomworld writing contest from 1 year and 9 months ago...

Well I disagree with you dis-crediting the winner. Obviously the level had to have some merit to be chosen. You saying, I would have won this if I hadn't been away is pretty bold of you to say.

A good illustration of how people have formed varying opinions on what e1 is/ should be to them. And it also shows which level(s) from the original ep1 that people are partial to.

John Romero would be the ultimate authority on e1, I would think.

Many good e1 levels here.

How then do you explain that the level did contain textures from ep2? :P

I think the level was lame.

Several of the levels had non-E1 textures afaik. A few also have non-E1 weapons and enemies, namely:

E1M1 - Cacos and Lost Souls

E1M8 - Caco, Plasma Guns, Energy Cell

E2M1 - Cacos, Cyber, Plasma Gun

Hmmm, I didn't even think of Episode 1 monsters / textures only. That kind of oversight is what costs you the prize, I guess?

The most interesting thing about this (IMO) was how wide and varied people's opinions about what encapsulates Episode 1 are.

I agree with NiGHTMARE. E1M4 and E2M2 were the only levels that really invoked that Ep1 feeling in me.

With retrospect, my level could have been a lot better. I was possibly in too much of a hurry to do it, missing out on;

- Barrels. Barrels are *so* E1! Why'd I forget them?
- Corpses, as IMO it's not E1 without a load of dead marines around.
- And, a bit more detail in areas behind the blue door, maybe.

All said and done, I'm pleased that my entry came second, considering (a) At that time, I had given up mapping for a while, and that was to be my "Last One", as I was considering giving it up permamnently and (b) well, look who judged the damn thing.

All said and done, I would say it's an honour for the four of us to be rated the best by Romero, as we were, especially Fredrik, having limited time to make the level.

Enjoyable contest. When's the next editing contest, Ling? ;)

I don't think that Romero was as technical as NiGHTMARE when approaching this contest. Not like he said, "oh, this level has a lost soul - definately not a winner".

I think it was just about what Romero liked. And if I've done my research correctly he was partial to his e1m7 (as mentioned in his doomcenter interview), which the winning map shows a lot of inspiration from.

Fredrik, NiGHTMARE, and Enjay seem to take a technical take on what an e1 level should be.
Again, that's not how I think Romero approached it. And as Enjay mentioned (as previously said in my other comments) "The most interesting thing about this (IMO) was how wide and varied people's opinions about what encapsulates Episode 1 are."

It's a no win doing e1 style...something is always wrong to someone. =)