Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arioch

ZDoom Update

To me the important thing about 1.23 final is that it is...final. By that I mean when Randy releases it, he has said "this is version 1.23, it works as well as I can/have the inclination to make it, and now here is your standard to edit for".

The problem that I see if every beta release became an actual incremental version is that the goal posts would constantly be changing. Implementation of features can change rapidly from one beta to the next.

This means people have to be very specific as to which version their project is for, as later versions may make changes that stop individual projects working. How many people would want to have 28 (and counting) different versions of Zdoom installed to ensure all wads worked?

OK, I know people (myself included) have released stuff that require the various betas, but I have also done a lot of unreleased stuff that stopped working from one beta to the next because of modifications to the way new features were implemented. All minor problems, that were easy to get round, but I was editing against a "work in progress" standard, so I should expect such problems. Mind you, the mere fact that people do release stuff for specific betas does kind of water down my argument.

Anyway, as I see it, once 1.23 is "final" then we have a standard to edit to. The features are there, and will not alter in their implementation. To me that is the importance of actually calling it a final version, it sets the standard for a longer period of time. If people want to edit for newer 1.24 betas (or however the numbering will go) they can (and probably will) do but they will also run the risk of the next beta not working with their WAD.

1.23 final will be the official base line, just as 1.22 currently is, and has been so for 2 years. OK, there are few Zdoom specific wads released these days that do not require 1.23 features, but 1.22 is still the official standard (if there is such a thing). 1.23 still being beta effectively reserves the right to change until it is final. Just my £0:02

FREDRIK: people should have thought of that already back in 1.22, it's traditional, you know and how could have people forgotten about it

..and the only reason i haven't finished and released any Zdoom specific wads is because i'm waiting for the next official standard version (1.23).

No, ZDoom is not the weird program that was 2 years in beta! Look at ICQ... they are even more complicated...
- I donot want to see: ZDoom v1.37b16 Release 19 Build 3251...

Why does not he just increases a number?
ZDoom rel #23, #24 (for 1.23b29), and so on?

Yes, but then it would make even less sense.

You must have ZDoom release #537 or above to play this WAD

... yeah right

i just recently started using Zdoom. i love it.

otherwise, this post has no meaning

"so I'd suggest this anyway that if it's possible for you can do, please add back the doom oldschool feature - silent sprites effects, like silent bfg and such what I'm talking about."

Yeah and it would be nice if the gameplay and control wasn't totally botched, but that's not gonna get fixed either.

And I'm pretty sure Randy's already put that "one-sound-per-player-at-a-time" feature into ZDoom already, you fucking backwards losers ought to RTFM more

fredrik: ok , my bad, but i wish i could fix it to change them back into small case.ummm...

A project for Ultima 7, Exult, has been in Alpha for something like two and a half years. Now they say that they expect to be in beta for only a couple of months :o

By the way, v1.28beta28a has been out for some time now...

I wish you lot would just keep quiet about all the new features you want and let coders like Randy (and the Legacy team) finish their projects. Its funny how folk complain more about something they get for free. Actually its not funny, its fucking pathetic.

Guest Matt

So when's the next ROM dump coming?

Oh, wait, wrong program.

Who's the real retard? Damned if I'm going to give him publicity here.