Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Suggestion

Steve, James,

Just had a little talk with Gaston and he had this to say with regards to the new clipping line.

> By the way, I think it is a better idea to clip the player's movement
> based on the actual size of the texture, instead of looking at
> non-transparant pixels of that texture. That way you can use invisible
> 'bridge' textures, and I feel this alternative might also increase CPU
> performance.

As I told him, I think this is something that could compliment rather than replace Steve's line and maybe make for better performance as he said.

Share this post


Link to post

I have no idea if it would be possible to enable this or not. I'll have to talk to SoM about it.

Share this post


Link to post

/me giggles at Gaston and Joel a bit

My 3d side code doesn't look at texture column data for clipping. That would be too slow to even consider doing. 3D sides already use the texture size and offset (the front-side texture and offset to be exact) so yes, you can already do invisible bridges with it. As for speed, it's really an overdraw issue rather than a clipping issue. 3D sides require very little extra processor power.

Share this post


Link to post
SoM said:

/me giggles at Gaston and Joel a bit

My 3d side code doesn't look at texture column data for clipping. That would be too slow to even consider doing. 3D sides already use the texture size and offset (the front-side texture and offset to be exact) so yes, you can already do invisible bridges with it. As for speed, it's really an overdraw issue rather than a clipping issue. 3D sides require very little extra processor power.


/me giggles at SoM

Two tips for you Steve
- Don't shoot the messenger
- Don't assume everyone pays attention to or understands what you say :P

Share this post


Link to post
JoelMurdoch said:

/me giggles at SoM

Two tips for you Steve
- Don't shoot the messenger
- Don't assume everyone pays attention to or understands what you say :P


I don't see how a little giggling is shooting the messanger. Secondly I don't think I've ever said anything about how my 3d sides are clipped in-engine but that the assumption seems to have been made as to how they work. That's why I was giggling. :P

And now I've got Joel mad at me :\

Share this post


Link to post
Quasar said:

Nah, we're all one big happy family of coders in here ^_^

True dat!

Share this post


Link to post

Well, and then there's me. By the by, what happened to that beta you were going to send me so many moons ago?

wvu quas ^_^

Share this post


Link to post

Oops! I guess it just slipped my mind right after I offered :-> Remind me sometime when you're in #zdoom and I'll send you an alpha.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0