Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sargebaldy

in-game demo recording?

any reason why the demo menu doesn't have a record option? or is there a console command for it? it would be very handy i think (at least, when schepe's compmode thing is integrated).

there's a state that the game is in when recording.
well, I suppose the game could always be recording, then clip the demo to just the part the user selected.... otherwise, it would have to remember what every THING was doing all the time.(like Quake demos do)
surely it's possible.

oh, i didn't even mean it like that. i just meant maybe a console command like "recorddemo compmode map# skill" and then a similar option in the demo recording box, just because that would be a lot faster than having to go to the command line every time i want to try to make a demo of a map. demo clips starting off wherever you wanted would be nice too, but i can imagine that might be difficult to implement.

I don't believe this is possible with the way things currently work, though I could be wrong.

Of course it's *possible*, although it might be tricky.

Would it be harder to implement than e.g. PrBoom's in-game IWAD switching?

Look, I'm all for user feature requests, but there are some things I don't consider worth the effort. This would be one of them. It's not hard to start a demo recording off the command line, or to use the frontend to accomplish it.

isn't that what "time demo" is? and why is it called "time demo" anyway, shouldn't it be "fast forward demo" or "fast demo"?

sargebaldy said:

isn't that what "time demo" is? and why is it called "time demo" anyway, shouldn't it be "fast forward demo" or "fast demo"?

Try -timedemo on a 486 and you'll see it transform into a "slow demo". Boom and its derivatives have a -fastdemo parameter which does what it sounds like.