Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mordeth

Steam?

Something I've been wanting to make is several kinds of steam puff generators. Something that spits out a steam puff sprite, at an angle of my choice, with a certain speed.

Puffs going straight up or down might be able to be made with SpawnGlitter, AccelGlitter and MummySoul (or just Spawn with low gravity setting).

Puffs that travel at a particular angle on a horizontal plane are a different matter.

Some deprecated ETC stuff uses FogSpawn and FogMove. If we had a parameterised version of that (id, angle-range, speed) I would be able to use that to great effect!

Those were based on the Hexen codepointers for swamp fog cloud generators. They'll need some de-Ravenification (unless our GPL efforts pan out...) before I can reintroduce them ;)

Just to let you know, i've wrote a SteamSpawn codepointer and i'm just waiting for quasbar to return from school so he can throw it into the old svn and suchlike. It works like:

SteamSpawn ( thingtype, horizontal range, vertical angle, vertical range, speed )
Where:
* Thingtype is the type of thing you're spawning.
* Horizontal range is an angle saying how far the steam puff can spread from the steam spawner's angle.
* Vertical angle is the angle from the horizon in which to fire the puff.
* Verical range works the same as horizontal range but in the vertical plane.
* Speed is how fast it goes :P

Excellent, thank you! :)

A small nag about "horizontal range". Maybe you can use a Thing's death frames when it goes outside of range, instead of just removing it? That would look a bit more neat. I also take it that a default value of "0" does not remove it at all? And how about stuff that only moves on the Z plane?

Heh, perhaps my explaination of the horizontal range was a bit crap.

If, for example, you had a horizontal range of 60 degrees and the steam spawner (^) was facing north, the steam would fly out at an angle of anything between -30 and 30 degrees either side of north. Horizontal spread of 0 would make the angle of movement of all the steam puffs equal to the angle of the steam spawner (0 degrees in this case).

-30   0   30                       0          
    \       /                        |
     \     /                         |
      \   /                          |
       \ /                           |
        ^                            ^
Horiz Range 60 degrees        Horiz Range 0 degrees
As for the vertical angle problem, if you wanted to fire some steam upwards, setting the vertical angle to 90 would result in the steam being fired straight up, -90 fires it straight down. Any angle from -360 to 360 should work ok for vertical angle (i haven't tested for angles out of this range).
    60   90
      \  |
       \ |
        \|
0 -------*       o_o     0 DEGREES
        /|
       / |
      /  |
   -60   -90
The vertical range works the same as the horizontal one, only it uses the vertical angle instead of the thing's angle.

Hope that makes a bit more sense :P

I thought this thread was going to be about Valve's content delivery system that they use for Half-Life. Thank god for that.

fraggle said:
I thought this thread was going to be about Valve's content delivery system that they use for Half-Life. Thank god for that.

I puff in your general direction! :)

fraggle said:

Funnily, I thought that as well. :Þ