is not the cake
A while back I got some ideas for some special-effect stuff to make for Eternity. It was originally for specific use with a certain project, but I decided to work on it as a standalone addon so that it could be used with Doom2 or other wads (well, assuming the wads don't replace too much of Doom's stuff I guess).
Its current features include:
- Nashgore-based blood spurt effects
- Additive faux-brightmaps and coronas for floor lamps
- Bright translucent flames on torches
- KDiZD-based subtle smoke trails on imp fireballs
- Additive-blended plasma, bfg, and other "bright" projectiles, a la The ZDoom
- Simplicity palette, with softer blues and greens (I wasn't planning on including this, since it seems to be so commonly-used these days, but the techlamps' faux-brightmaps looked terrible without it)
In the future it will likely also include bullet casing effects from player hitscan weapons, and other nifty stuff.
Keeping in mind that this is still a work-in-progress, that I know some aspects of it aren't "perfect" at the moment, and that I'm just doing this for fun, here's the download link:
I use SVN builds of Eternity, rather than the old 3.33.50 release, so this almost definitely requires a recent SVN build to run correctly. You can get a recent build in a nice pre-set up package here:
I know these kinds of addons aren't everybody's "thing", so I don't really want to hear about it if you think I've soiled Doom's untouchable greatness or whatever; if you don't like it, don't use it. With that said, though, of course if you have any ideas, suggestions, or find any bugs or issues, please let me know!
At the moment, this will only work with Doom II. Its incompatibility with Ultimate Doom should be fixable by changing a couple of sprite names, but I haven't gotten around to doing it yet.
Credit goes to Nash, Nmn, AgentSpork, Quasar, and Joe for the blood effects, the imp fireball effects, the Simplicity palette, and for helping me out with EDF stuff, respectively. :)
Last edited by esselfortium on Oct 21 2008 at 16:22