Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

I cannot get music in Eternity

I can get regular sounds, but no MIDI. I do not have a dedicated MIDI card and I use the latest version of EE posted on this forum FYI.

Share this post


Link to post

Can't replicate on any of my systems, but I wouldn't be surprised. It seems that MIDI is becoming increasingly non-functional on all OSes.

Share this post


Link to post
Quasar said:

It seems that MIDI is becoming increasingly non-functional on all OSes.

Wow. And nearly all Doom wads use MIDI music. An age of contemplation awaits.

Share this post


Link to post
Quasar said:

It seems that MIDI is becoming increasingly non-functional on all OSes.



It sure looks like it. I haven't been able to use system MIDI playback on my 3 year old computer ever. Good thing that there's alternatives like Timidity...

So Doom is fortunately not affected for me by this development.

Share this post


Link to post
Graf Zahl said:

It sure looks like it. I haven't been able to use system MIDI playback on my 3 year old computer ever. Good thing that there's alternatives like Timidity...

So Doom is fortunately not affected for me by this development.

Software synth will soon be the only option, and even that isn't working so well in a lot of ways. The native software synth on Windows now has no independent volume control, for example (a problem previously discussed in the source ports forum). And Timidity gets a number of complaints, usually that it sounds bad or doesn't play certain MIDIs correctly, and that's not to mention that the way SDL_mixer supports it is completely asinine and will plain not function on some systems altogether.

Share this post


Link to post
Quasar said:

The native software synth on Windows now has no independent volume control, for example (a problem previously discussed in the source ports forum).


Yes, that's what killed it for me. I have no idea what these idiots at Microsoft were smoking when they decided that it doesn't need a separate volume control... At least they should have set a decent usable volume. For me it's so low that it's as good as non-existent.


And Timidity gets a number of complaints, usually that it sounds bad or doesn't play certain MIDIs correctly, and that's not to mention that the way SDL_mixer supports it is completely asinine and will plain not function on some systems altogether.



I have to admit that the combination ZDoom/Timidity++/FMod so far was able to provide a setting for any MIDI. Of course, being stuck with crappy libraries like SDL_Mixer obviously sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Quasar said:

Can't replicate on any of my systems, but I wouldn't be surprised. It seems that MIDI is becoming increasingly non-functional on all OSes.


If there's not enough people complaining about that to Microsoft, Apple and co., it's not surprising. Issues crop up as software and hardware evolve, bugs become more and more numerous, and if nobody's busy fixing them then all that code rots silently until it has to be cut off entirely.

Share this post


Link to post

Do you really think they would listen to the small group of 90's game fans? I'm certain that 99% of today's users don't even know what MIDI music is.

Share this post


Link to post

Which is exactly why there's not enough people reporting these issues.

Share this post


Link to post

Graf Zahl said:
Do you really think they would listen to the small group of 90's game fans? I'm certain that 99% of today's users don't even know what MIDI music is.

Well they're not the only MIDI users. For example, most electronic pianos that feature input to a computer use MIDI, and playback electronic-music arranging programs (Finale, Sibelius, SmartMusic, etc) are dependent on MIDI libraries. Still not enough for them to care, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
DeumReaper said:

Well they're not the only MIDI users. For example, most electronic pianos that feature input to a computer use MIDI, and playback electronic-music arranging programs (Finale, Sibelius, SmartMusic, etc) are dependent on MIDI libraries. Still not enough for them to care, I guess.

Professional musicians have been Mac users for decades. The College of Music at OSU where I went was a strict No-PC zone. Evidently there are good reasons for this after all, and it's not just Apple propaganda...

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0