Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Do portal interfaces exist?

Does Eternity support giving flats to floor-ceiling portal boundaries, so I could make horizontal midgrates or windows? The former would imply an interesting case of let projectiles cross, but not other actors, like those impassable 2-sided midwalls.

Share this post


Link to post
printz said:

Does Eternity support giving flats to floor-ceiling portal boundaries, so I could make horizontal midgrates or windows? The former would imply an interesting case of let projectiles cross, but not other actors, like those impassable 2-sided midwalls.

That has been on the slate for quite some time now, and I even added code for translucent flat drawers like a year ago. I am not sure what precisely is holding it up to be honest :)

Share this post


Link to post

Cool! Are "horizontal midgrates" taken into consideration? I mean boundaries through which you can shoot traces or projectiles, but not other clipping objects.

Share this post


Link to post
Quasar said:

That has been on the slate for quite some time now, and I even added code for translucent flat drawers like a year ago. I am not sure what precisely is holding it up to be honest :)

In what development state are these now? Are they in?

Share this post


Link to post
Mordeth said:

Seconded.

SoM has implemented them in portal-clip branch, and they are fully functional as far as rendering goes. However portal-clip branch is still a very long way from being merged into trunk.

Share this post


Link to post

What kind was implemented? Translucent flats? Is there support (in the branch) for flats with transparent windows for this?

Share this post


Link to post
printz said:

What kind was implemented? Translucent flats? Is there support (in the branch) for flats with transparent windows for this?

Not as of yet because there is no way to indicate a transparent area in a flat. I must leave it to SoM to work such ability into the "new" texture system somehow, and then tell me how to write the requisite masked span drawers.

Share this post


Link to post
Quasar said:

Not as of yet because there is no way to indicate a transparent area in a flat.

But you can apply a texture to a floor or ceiling now, can't you?

Share this post


Link to post
Gez said:

But you can apply a texture to a floor or ceiling now, can't you?

Yes but that doesn't mean they are masked. The areas which would be transparent on a wall will currently appear as GameModeInfo->blackIndex when displayed on a floor, which for DOOM at least is palette index 0.

Share this post


Link to post
Gez said:

But you can apply a texture to a floor or ceiling now, can't you?

You can...? I should configure Doom Builder to allow it (both 1 and 2, depending where I work).

Share this post


Link to post
printz said:

You can...? I should configure Doom Builder to allow it (both 1 and 2, depending where I work).

If you are using a recent SVN build, yes. Floor/ceiling and wall textures are interchangeable as of SVN r1161.

Share this post


Link to post

Going more into this... Can translucent flats be applied to regular anchored portals? Those are more likely than linked portals to have this effect. Is it OK to have two in the map layers with two matching gateways (portals) connecting them, one a regular anchored portal, another being linked?

Finally, for portal clipping, is it foreseeable to implement for linked portals a logic similar to that of impassable 2-sided lines, to only allow PROJECTILE, BOUNCES and FRIEND (AFAIR) actors to pass?

Share this post


Link to post
Gez said:

But you can apply a texture to a floor or ceiling now, can't you?

As far as masked textures on portal flats go, internally, there's the question of efficiently handling texture masking for span drawers without needing to rewrite the graphics loader to sacrifice a palette color for transparency like ZDoom's does. I suggested generating a 1-bit mask to accompany the texture, but SoM tells me it'd likely be slow. :\

Share this post


Link to post
esselfortium said:

As far as masked textures on portal flats go, internally, there's the question of efficiently handling texture masking for span drawers without needing to rewrite the graphics loader to sacrifice a palette color for transparency like ZDoom's does. I suggested generating a 1-bit mask to accompany the texture, but SoM tells me it'd likely be slow. :\

I think a per-resource colorkey (perhaps in textual texture definitions?) would be a better and less costly solution than a full bitmask.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0