Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

There's too much spam at the Eternity wiki

Srsly. Now how am I supposed to be working on Eternity mods if its main source of documentation is trashed like that?

Looks like the work of bored children. Have a word with Bloodshedder, he might hand you a mop.

GreyGhost said:

Looks like the work of bored children. Have a word with Bloodshedder, he might hand you a mop.

I don't visit that site regularly because I don't Eternity-map regularly. Also, I think better would be to forbid unregistered people from posting, because it will stop anonymous spam bots from working there. All those random code-like characters in the updating explanations make me think it's the work of a bot programmer.

Eternity wiki doesn't need popularity contests where anyone can write. It's not Wikipedia, it's a technical reference guide for those interested. And it doesn't have to be super-accessible.

printz said:

Also, I think better would be to forbid unregistered people from posting, because it will stop anonymous spam bots from working there.

Though there will still be plenty of spambots anyway.

This is completely impossible. I will never have time to clean all of that up.

Consider the EE wiki officially dead until such time Bloodshedder can either programmatically remove the offending materials or restore the database from a backup.

And unless we can get better spam protection on it immediately, there isn't even any point.

Gez said:

Though there will still be plenty of spambots anyway.

What about implementing captchas?

EDIT: thanks for the effort of going to undo changes, whoever you are (Gez?) :) You're really dedicated to everything around Doom, aren't you going to ask for some thanks some time?

phobosdeimos1 said:

Hmm, how did the Zdoom wiki become so extensive compared to this?

A bigger community maybe?

Quasar said:

Because ZDoom has over 9000 fps.

can't wait to hear them bitching about 30 fps in doom4. The butthurt will be glorious.

Doom4 is not going to be capped at 30 fps. It's going to be a 30hz game. Much Like Doom3 was which was capped at 60 fps. A cap that actually is removable.

From wiki spam to Doom 4's framerate. I nominate this thread for best Non Sequitur 2011.

I feel your pain. MediaWiki is a shitmagnet due to it's popularity, much like most forum software. Even captchas aren't a foolproof solution anymore.

I think this would be very helpful. Also, on the ZDoom wiki, this is used with those settings and it helps reduce spam considerably, though it's possible it also blocks names that legitimate users would have chosen.