Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
printz

inventory-branch discussion

Yes, or unlisted entirely. It's being axed to save a lot of compatibility work because no existing releases (I think) make use of it. Its functionality will be supported in a different way in inventory-branch.

Yes, it would be best removed from the documentation. EDF will continue to accept the syntax but, for now at least, it won't do anything any more. It was getting in the way significantly of the way I'd like for inventory to associate with pickup by sprites (it will be possible to associate inventory effects with either sprites or thingtypes, with definition by thingtype probably taking precedence over sprite - I have to look at Strife again to see what it does in that regard as I need to be compatible with it).

We did our best to verify that no working Eternity mods have ever used this feature. To the best of my knowledge, none ever have. This means removing it won't cause any problems.

Does the SPECIAL flag act like it always did? For example if you have the medikit and change its sprite num to that of the soulsphere, will it act like a soulsphere?

printz said:

Does the SPECIAL flag act like it always did? For example if you have the medikit and change its sprite num to that of the soulsphere, will it act like a soulsphere?

That's the idea, yes. That effect will be assigned to the SOUL sprite, not the Soulsphere thingtype. This is necessary for compatibility. However, you could reassign the effect (or some other effect) to Soulsphere and that would then take precedence over a sprite-defined effect. Or at least that's the plan right now.

Is the total invisibility powerup possible now? Is there a sprite internally associated with that powerup?

I would like to clarify that sprite -> effect associations will not be internal. They'll be part of the inventory definition, more than likely. Such as a spritenames array possibly.

The removal of pickupfx has in fact, on inventory-branch, disabled most of P_TouchSpecialThing so that, right now, you can grab items but they do not do anything. A fairly appropriate state to be starting in I think for reimplementing the way it's all handled.