Any chance of using libsamplerate?

Any chance of using libsamplerate? Thought it would be great to have considering chocolate-doom uses it (via use_libsamplerate 5 in chocolate-doom.cfg) and it really makes the sounds wholesome and clean. Most soundcards and OS's resample to 48000 khz which is ugly for 11025 khz sounds. 44100khz causes aliasing with no filter (virtually eliminated with simple filters but filters don't help 48000khz); filters would be great.

Also think support for Timidity server (daemon) in linux (the way dosbox uses it) would be really nice since it allows use of soundfonts; I think dosbox has better midi output than every source port using roland sound canvas in sound setup in conjunction with Timidity server and a soundfont. Fluidsynth has problems playing instruments (some missing) and emulating midi modules (Timidity emulates roland and many modules); it also has crackling issues (in prboom-plus and audacious).

Could a switch be added to turn on all vanilla doom options without having to use -warp?

This is like the best source port in my opinion and it's amazing that it allows custom wads that go beyond vanilla doom and yet it can be configured to be just like vanilla doom. Seriously amazing stuff!

Oh and please don't change the software renderer for linux. It's so great running eternity after an initial boot to a minimal terminal (with directfb and svgalib); no need for a window environment. I can make an executable (equivalent of .bat in DOS) and simply type "doom" to play ultimate doom from command line (the wad menu works in terminal environment). It's just like being in DOS!

Regards

Share this post


Link to post
Holering said:

Any chance of using libsamplerate? Thought it would be great to have considering chocolate-doom uses it (via use_libsamplerate 5 in chocolate-doom.cfg) and it really makes the sounds wholesome and clean. Most soundcards and OS's resample to 48000 khz which is ugly for 11025 khz sounds. 44100khz causes aliasing with no filter (virtually eliminated with simple filters but filters don't help 48000khz); filters would be great.

Not sure what the benefits would be; an auditory comparison between Choco's sound and Eternity's current output with the 3-band EQ enabled, to me at least, leaves the former sounding harshly high-pitched and noisy by comparison. Eternity's output without the EQ enabled does leave something to be desired (which is why I coded in the EQ and soft clipper).

The primary penalty of resampling (11025->44100 in this case) is multiplication of high frequencies. The reason 3-band EQ is effective against that is because it enables low-pass filtering, by setting the high band factor to a number less than 1 (EE defaults to numbers suggested by the original designer of the 3-band EQ code).

Holering said:

Also think support for Timidity server (daemon) in linux (the way dosbox uses it) would be really nice since it allows use of soundfonts; I think dosbox has better midi output than every source port using roland sound canvas in sound setup in conjunction with Timidity server and a soundfont. Fluidsynth has problems playing instruments (some missing) and emulating midi modules (Timidity emulates roland and many modules); it also has crackling issues (in prboom-plus and audacious).

I agree but I'd need a lot of help in order to pull that off, as I am not the current primary maintainer of Eternity's *nix builds or build system.

Holering said:

Could a switch be added to turn on all vanilla doom options without having to use -warp?

I assume you mean the -vanilla parameter when you indicate that warping would be necessary. Something like this COULD be added; doing it so that it doesn't permanently stomp your config is more difficult than doing it blindly though.

Holering said:

This is like the best source port in my opinion and it's amazing that it allows custom wads that go beyond vanilla doom and yet it can be configured to be just like vanilla doom. Seriously amazing stuff!

Thanks :>

Holering said:

Oh and please don't change the software renderer for linux. It's so great running eternity after an initial boot to a minimal terminal (with directfb and svgalib); no need for a window environment. I can make an executable (equivalent of .bat in DOS) and simply type "doom" to play ultimate doom from command line (the wad menu works in terminal environment). It's just like being in DOS!

Having a GL renderer is only a pipedream currently, and at most would be an alternative to software and not a replacement for it. We are too heavily invested in Cardboard - and compatibility - to make a 180 of that sort.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now