(a) someone needs to fix sloppy code somewhere
The revised gripes I have about Eternity engine:
(a) The thing with the crosshair and not aiming right and all that...
(b) Not being able to select an episode when add-ons are used with the Ultimate DOOM.
(c) The menu is very messed-up with some WADs. WADs like HACX work just fine with the menu... why is it so FUBAR with HR2?
(d) The 'Features' menu item sticks out in a nasty way in WADs that change menu graphics.
(e) In the Options menu, you can't see which item is selected when some WADs that change fonts are loaded (such as HACX or Hell Revealed 2).
When I look at some of these problems...well, most of these problems... OkAy, ALL of these problems... they're in the SMMU engine as well.
What I see as the simplest solution:
(a) As I probably have said before and everyone has read, adjust the crosshair slightly according to how far up\down you aim.
(b) As you have it now, it is very handy to have the game start on any levels that were changed automatically.
Could you simply enable the episode selection menu regardless of if a PWAD is loaded or not? If only a single level is replaced, add on option to start there too?
(c) I don't know, is it even your fault that HR2's menu doesn't work right?
(d) Put the 'Features' item elsewhere... I just don't know a suitable 'elsewhere' except the Options menu, but they're Features, not Options! Bleah.
(e) Use some kind of cursor to the side instead, or a font that WADs can't modify.
Junk I want to see:
(1) An option to specify saved game directory, like -savedir in BOOM?
(2) High(er) resolution, even if letterboxed. It doesn't look too disgusting to me considering the wrong aspect ratio.
Could you use the extra (ypixels/12) pixels on the top and bottom for stuff like the status bar, moved down, and a mini-console? Rotating automap? Timer? Various level stats? FPS meter? Any random gadget I can conceive?
You've got exactly 1/6th of the screen area unused if you letterbox a 4:3 resolution - you might as well use the unused space.
(3) Customisable crosshairs?
(4) Some light antialiasing at the edges of walls and flats. There's no point in antialiasing the entire view when the only things that look really jagged are the edges of things...
(5) Height checking, 3D floors, or flattened sprites? Some are a bit useless, but some might be good. Many engines have height checking, some have 3D floors but mostly incompatible variants of it, and I don't know any with flattened sprites. And I suppose the only use I can think of for flattened sprites is to simulate 3D floors. Can't you already simulate a lot of the simpler functions of 3D floors, such as spiral staircases, even if not totally solid, or the bridge on the start map that leads to nightmare mode? Whatever... the only engine with room-over-room that doesn't crash on my box is rorDOOM, based on BOOM and now abandoned, but I think with source out. I guess a lot of engines with 3D floors have source out - i.e. Vavoom, DOSDoom, maybe EDGE, maybe Legacy. Wow, I guess I'll shut up now.
(6) A compatible interface among _all_ the engines besides the DOOM\BOOM interface, though World Peace is slightly more likely to happen. Whatever, Eternity supports BOOM, SMMU, MBF, and some ZDoom stuff, which is good enough for me. I guess what I meant was the elimination of requiring a certain engine for a certain WAD, aside from maybe BOOM.
Junk I see as pointless:
(1) DDF support... sorry Railgunner... leave that to EDGE
(2) Support for MD2 models... it's just not DOOMish enough.
(3) Other ridiculous visual and graphical stuff. That's what Vavoom and JDoom are for, or any engines that have 'GL' in their name. Also, I don't believe most levels were designed mith a lot of those features in mind.
Because I could only think of 5 gripes about the engine, I'll have to make up for it with stupid questions:
-What objectives or focuses did you have in mind with the Eternity engine?
-What is currently in plan for the future, besides ExtraData, EDF, and whatever?
-What is this 'polyobjects' thing mentioned as a long term goal?
-Considering how long it has been available, why have I only recently heard about it or seen it on DoomWorld's source port page?
-What are some examples of the use of fragglescript?
-What are some potential uses of ExtraData and EDF? Well I suppose you already said EDF was for adding items...
(b) has to do with that "start map" used in doom2 mode and the associated code. should be easy to fix
(c) WADs made assumptions about menu layout that cannot be emulated simply because there are more menu items than before
(d) same as c
(e) same as d
(1) good idea
(2) was it dosdoom? yeah i think it was, or maybe legacy, implemented generalized drawing code that scales everything properly for any aspect ratio resolution. you could load it in 320x100 as an example and other than the obvious blockyness, there would be nothing squished or stretched or anything.
(3) ehhh, dont put it at the top of the list
(4) dood, this is a 10 year old software renderer here. go and buy quake3 or something.
(5) my concern on this relates to 6
(6) many source port makers implemented many features with little foresight or regard for others, often times very little common sense as well. this makes world peace a pita