Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mordeth

[not a bug] cantleavefloorpic

Give a floating monster like the cacodemon the flag 'cantleavefloorpic' and put this modified monster on the highest level of a portal setup, and give its portal floor an unique texture. Now this modified cacodemon just bobs into place without ever moving, instead of the expected behaviour of roaming in its own portal plane.

Sorry but I modified CANTLEAVEFLOORPIC to use the real floor texture from below any floor portals. Flats of any portal floors are ignored. What textures are at the bottom of the thing? Are they set in such a way to block the monster in place?

Of course, this poses a problem if one wants to take advantage of the visible portal overlays… but currently CANTLEAVEFLOORPIC uses the "floorpic" property, which by its name suggests the most bottom texture. What to do, what to do…

Actually, the bottommost floor is a pretty large area with the same flat texture. My modified caco just bobs stationary, occasionally belching a fireball. It's the not moving at all part that says 'bug' to me.

I've just checked the code. It appears that CANTLEAVEFLOORPIC not only restricts the floor flat. It also requires the object to be touching the floor! Otherwise it will not be able to move. So I guess you can't rely on this flag against floating monsters…

This flag has always been extremely limited. It looked just like a quick hack to make the one aquatic monster in Hexen work to a reasonable degree, but nothing further.