Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

News on bugs fixed since v3.29 gamma - and - who wants a new release?

Several bugs have been identified and fixed since v3.29 gamma, which I figure some people might want to know about:

1. When started from the Windows run box or a desktop icon, the console window which Eternity starts in slams shut when the program exits, not allowing the user to see the message. I had added a question to the FAQ saying that starting from a command-line was a fix, but actually, it needs more than that. I've added a line of code to make the program wait for input so that this will be a non-issue in future versions.

2. The "map" console command that lets you go to any level had two bugs. First, the command will occasionally crash the game. Second, it would cause the automap name for the level to be incorrect and sometimes made the level start up without wiping the screen first. All of these errors were caused by one bug, and it has been fixed by making the command "buffered" so that it doesn't run in the middle of a gametic.

3. Its come to my attention that Eternity doesn't support tall sky textures at all. This has become a problem while working on Heretic support, as the skies do not look right. This one I'm working on a solution for right now.

4. Trying to load a game from an empty save slot crashes the game. Call this one of those stupid things you never even think to try. This has been fixed, and the savegame/loadgame menus have been made more safe overall.

So, when will v3.31 public beta 1 be out? I still can't say for certain. I'd really like to have EDF in so that Heretic can be playable, but if there's enough rucus for a release then I'll do one this weekend while I have time (Monday is a holiday ^_^). So, this is a call to action. If you want to see a release this weekend, let me know!

**** Note: I made a boo boo with the title of this thread, it should read v3.29 gamma ;) There is not nor ever will be a v3.30 of Eternity, since that version number is taken by SMMU v3.30 final :->

Wait for EDF is what I say, but then I have an ulterior motive, since the fate of my Exhumed TC is hanging on the balance here, as I wish to move it from Edge to Eternity, with EDF.

[EDIT] If EDF is going to take too long, release it sooner - bugfixes are, on second thoughts, very important, so it may be best to release. Mmmmkay? Just don't say that I'm following like a sheep what everybody else is saying ;P [/EDIT]

Hurry up and dish it out.

And have EDF ASAP!!!

ADD:
You Forgot one!!!
There's a bug when you load up an Ultimate Doom pwad and you cannot select an episode!

RailGunner said:

Hurry up and dish it out.

And have EDF ASAP!!!

ADD:
You Forgot one!!!
There's a bug when you load up an Ultimate Doom pwad and you cannot select an episode!

That was fixed IIRC. I do ALL my beta testing with Ultimate Doom and have NOT had that problem.

Yeah that wasn't a bug, it was just a misfeature if you will. Fraggle coded SMMU so that it always started up on the lowest numbered new level from any PWAD. That tends to work excellently with some DOOM II wads but isn't a good idea for Ultimate DOOM. I just #if 0'd the feature for Ultimate DOOM wads.

But btw, it has always been possible to start the game with -warp x y or with the -episode x command-line parameters ;)

heh

a new beta would be neat. i like playing around with eternity - and with the heretic thing, there should be even more 'features'(read: bugs) to find :)

go for it quasar!

Myself, I agree with Jayextee. That is, if EDF support won't take overly long, then wait for it. If EDF support winds up taking an eternity to impliment, then make a release w/o it.

I think a release this weekend would be teh c00l

Do it! Do it!

I feel there's sufficient demand, so expect a beta release on Sunday, most likely, barring identification of any really major issues between now and then.

In case you guys are wondering, I will do the release tonight barring emergencies unforeseen. So keep an eye out ^_^

RailGunner, stop telling Quasar what to do. If he wants to release the damned thing two weeks from now, that's his affair. As for EDF, and the DOS version, he'll have those ready too, all in good time.