39 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you have preffered

• Another Wolfenstein game
    • An Aliens game
    • A 3D Keen game
    • An RPG of some sort
    • A Lovecraftian game
    • Doom according to the Doom bible
    • None of the above - Doom is best the way it is!

A purely hypothetical question: if ID had made one of the projects that they were considering doing/it was rumoured they were doing instead of the original Doom (note: yes, that's the original Doom, not Doom 3! =p), which one would you have preffered to see (bearing in mind they'd probably still have a similar engine)?

Doom according to the Doom bible would've been waaay too cheesy imo.

The ability to pick up and use demon weapons alone...

dsm said:

Doom according to the Doom bible would've been waaay too cheesy imo.

The ability to pick up and use demon weapons alone...

*cough* half-life *cough*

Shaviro said:

*cough* half-life *cough*

Exactdidooo. Yet a reason why I wasn't fully happy with HL.

something less demonic, violent and offensive. not that im against these things, just that they would change the future for FPS and games in general as not being negative.

Shaviro said:

None of the above!

You mean they should not have made DOOM?

Xian, yeah, I'm sure Barbie 3D would have been great.

LESS of these things, not NONE of these things.

Heretic maybe, or something

Doom was, imo, the best way to go. Doom according to the Doom Bible would have been a bit cheasy, Aliens would have been unoriginal, and a new Wolfe wouldn't have been that fun.

if doom had never been around i would not be here.

anyway would probaly not have goten into computer games and thus would not really be into computers.

Bahahahaha, Half-Life.

Anyway, why would any of us be here if we wanted Doom to be different.. Who knows..

Hmmm, Doom according to the Doom Bible would have been a bit cheesy and perhaps a bit too much arcade-style, but if it had been done well, it could have been like System Shock which was a great game.

Lizardcommando said:
It would be interesting to see Doom done the Doom Bible way, although Doom's great the way it is now. BTW, wasn't someone trying to make a Doom Bible TC?

We have the means... Hmmm...

/me opens out deathys resorce Wads...

AndrewB said:

Anyway, why would any of us be here if we wanted Doom to be different.. Who knows..

So you're saying there's absolutely no room for improvement, that Doom is the perfect game?

Bahahahaha.

I gather that most of the 17 people who chose the 'none' option didn't bother to read the question properly.

The question was which of the alternatives you'd prefer when compared to EACH OTHER, not including the original Doom. The none option was only intended for people who thought all the possible options would be crap:

"if ID had made one of the projects that they were considering doing/it was rumoured they were doing INSTEAD of the original Doom (note: yes, that's the original Doom, not Doom 3! =p), which one would you have preffered to see"

myk said:

Actually, I do think it's perfect, or something. So?

ROFL. So you really think that all the levels are absolutely brilliant - that none of them could be improved in any way whatsoever, and that none of them look and/or play bad? Do you honestly believe that Fortress of Mystery is one of the best levels for any game ever? Do you think that the BFG9000 isn't one of the cheesiest FPS weapons ever made, and that it cannot possibly ruin any game of DM? Do you seriously believe that there are absolutely no bugs in the game whatsovever?

I could go on, but I won't. However, think about this: the perfect game would be one which we would never, EVER get tired of playing. It would therefore have to be different every single time we played, and I'm not just talking about the levels - there would have to be new enemies, music, sound effects, weapons, etc each time a new game was started, so we could not possibly get bored of one single aspect of the game. Clearly Doom does not do this. NO current game does this.

Also, if Doom was the perfect game, every single person who played it would think it was the best game they'd ever played, so why would anyone want to play any other game?

NiGHTMARE said:

ROFL. So you really think that all the levels are absolutely brilliant - that none of them could be improved in any way whatsoever, and that none of them look and/or play bad? Do you honestly believe that Fortress of Mystery is one of the best levels for any game ever?

I'm fond of all the maps, why should they look different? They can't be improved themselves. I do think people can make stuff that's equally fun, particularly add-on WADs for it.

Do you think that the BFG9000 isn't one of the cheesiest FPS weapons ever made, and that it cannot possibly ruin any game of DM?

I love the BFG and it fits into the game quite well... and I don't belong to the chilean ABC clan. Are you suggesting removing it would help?

* myk coughs

Do you seriously believe that there are absolutely no bugs in the game whatsovever?

Sure there are, what does that have to do with perfection?

I could go on, but I won't. However, think about this: the perfect game would be one which we would never, EVER get tired of playing. It would therefore have to be different every single time we played, and I'm not just talking about the levels - there would have to be new enemies, music, sound effects, weapons, etc each time a new game was started, so we could not possibly get bored of one single aspect of the game. Clearly Doom does not do this. NO current game does this.

We certainly disagree here, why would I want all that crap to get in the way of the game? And... the perfect game would be DOOM.

Also, if Doom was the perfect game, every single person who played it would think it was the best game they'd ever played, so why would anyone want to play any other game?

No idea why they would want to do that. I don't speak for others though.

Aside from all this... you brought up the word "perfection." It isn't a word I use other than for things I really like. So I can't think why it wouldn't apply here. Also, AndrewB's comment was in respect to the thread... I can't disagree with him there. DOOM is perfect inasmuch as there is no need for it to be different and as it is the most entertaining computer game there is.

Well Doom was the one to revolutionise gaming, blahblahblah etc.

If anything, an Aliens-based game would have been nifty. I mean, it's the same premise anyway... wander round corridors shooting anything that gets in your way before it chows down on you.

myk said:

I'm fond of all the maps, why should they look different? They can't be improved themselves. I do think people can make stuff that's equally fun, particularly add-on WADs for it.

Because if it was the perfect game, you would never, EVER get tired of playing the original maps. And if none of us got ever got tired of the original maps, why would we bother to make new ones? And of course the maps can be improved - by getting rid of all the texture alignments and clashing textures and flats for one thing.

I love the BFG and it fits into the game quite well... and I don't belong to the chilean ABC clan. Are you suggesting removing it would help?

No, but if it was a perfect weapon in a perfect game, it would be good in any possible situation. Clearly it's not.

Sure there are, what does that have to do with perfection?

Logic: if there's bugs in a game, there's something wrong with it. If there's something wrong with it, it's not perfect.

We certainly disagree here, why would I want all that crap to get in the way of the game? And... the perfect game would be DOOM.

There are loads of little and not so little things that could be done to improve Doom. Hence it's not perfect. Also, do you really think you'll still be playing the original maps in 50 years time? Personally I think I'll have gotten a bit bored of them by then. If the levels and other things were significantly different every single time you played, you would never get bored of them.

DOOM is perfect inasmuch as there is no need for it to be different and as it is the most entertaining computer game there is. [/B]

But this whole thread is about games that DON'T exist. His comments about "why would we be here... etc" make no sense, since we can't exactly play games that were never made, can we?

Doom might be the best game ever made, but that certainly doesn't make it the best game that could possibly be made.

No idea why they would want to do that. I don't speak for others though.

Logic again: if a game truly were perfect, then there would be absolutely nothing wrong it whatsoever, hence nothing for anyone not to like, so therefore everyone would like it. Just because in your opinion it's perfect, that doesn't mean that it actually IS perfect.