Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lizardcommando

This little rant might offend some of you but.....

If there REALLY is a God, shouldn't he have stopped all of the evil acts of the world? I mean, if there was a God, shouldn't he have stopped the hijackers from crashing the planes into the Twin Towers or something? Or, if there was a God, shouldn't he have stopped World War 1 and 2? To me, religion is just a clever way of lying to everyone that there is no such thing as a Utopian society. Everything considered bad is good, terrorism is a good way of reducing the overgrowing population, let the Nazis kill the Jewish people, and blah blah blah, so on and so forth... So? Where was God when all that shit was happening? No where! He's like the Easter Bunny, or Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy and all of that other good mythical things. THEY ARE ALL FAKE! If this ranting of mine offend you, sorry. This is one of the many things that I've been wondering for a long time.

No, because according to the bible he gave man free will to do anything he pleases. Doing good is up to the man. He's supposed to know the consequences (Heaven and hell). But, whatever.

this thread doesn't offend me because it's stupid. Making God responsible for humanity's bullshit is rediculous. Everytime i hear the 'if there is a god why doesn't he...' rhetoric i simply shut off my brain. it's the only way to understand that thought process.

Wow, geez! Sorry if I made a crappy thread. Can someone delete this? Sorry about this piece of crap, but I want this deleted so things don't get ugly...

Good topic. I think that in the time many of the religions that dominate today were not created to cope with the industrial nightmare planet earth is in currently, so if your an atheist you can see all these arguments as Anachronistic.

We were never supposed to see Hitler Stalin etc. Organized religion formed before that

If I see another thread on an internet forum where someone asks "why does God let bad things happen to good people" I am going to jump out a window.

Why did God let Ling fall?...

You ask why God let the twin towers go down? I think it was because most of the people in them were perverted people, murderers, molesters and so on, so forth.

KoolKat said:

You ask why God let the twin towers go down? I think it was because most of the people in them were perverted people, murderers, molesters and so on, so forth.

I suppose we're all entitled to our opinions. Even if they are, well... I can't think of the words.

In every religion there are one or many Gods, Not all have one but some do, If there was "A God of all Gods" so to speak, and that Being didn't let anything negative occur than life wouldn't really be all what it is lived up to be. We can't live life with Nothing negative happening because then the experience wouldn't be fulfilled to the greatest extent (even tho with re-precautions of the aspect of Not living to the fullest still exists) we need some bad in our lives so we can handle it and experience new things, if we just experienced the same things over and over and over again; Optimistic, positive, happy, joyfull ect. Then Eventually it would get tidius and just having good things happen will make us believe there is no negative only positive, no evil only good. Also you gotta look at it this way too: If people do things, they may believe that its the right thing to do and they may believe that their god approves of their actions and If the god of the people whom the action is being prreformed on doesnt approve of it, What will happen? U cant expect one God to stop it cause it doesnt like it and because it thinks Its way is right and the other's is wrong, it juz dont go that way.

So in the end, is there really a Right and a wrong? A good and a bad? Is it an act of terrorism or a act of Belief?

DOOM Anomaly said:
So in the end, is there really a Right and a wrong? A good and a bad? Is it an act of terrorism or a act of Belief?

And the gauntlet is down! >:)

The fact alone that most cultures have their own Gods is to me living proof that they just came up with one to reassure themselves..
The Twintowers were struck by airplanes because there are bad, bad people living amongst us, not because God overslept, or something.

Well, at least that's my opinion.

People's idea of heaven must be screwed if they think God should have prevented 9/11. Surely all the bible's teachings show that life after our time here on earth is supposed to be so much better. It would have been quite mean of God to prevent it, depriving the chosen ones their rise up to heaven. All through the ages it has been shown that God has no compunction in snuffing out a life here on earth (Soddam and Gomorrah etc.) because what follows is so much better.

Eh... hasn't it occurred to you that God may be either Dumb, Evil or Dead?

*Sigh*, here we go again.

Religious beliefs - of ANY faith, are most often built up over the course of hundreds, or in many cases thousands of years. People become extremely steeped in their beliefs, which obviously can't be simply abandoned overnight.
If something good happens, it's God's work. If something bad happens, then 'God has a Plan'. It's kind of a contradiction in terms relating to fate.

If you view such beliefs as petty, then do your best to ignore them (trust me, i know it's difficult). As long as you believe otherwise, in your own mind, then it's no problem. My only problem with a large portion of faiths is their merciless ramming of teachings and beliefs down our throats til we come close to choking and get REALLY pissed off.

To close, i'm thinking Kevin Smith/Robin Williams:

"There is no Devil. It's just God when He's drunk. And if he get's drunk, don't you think he get's stoned once in a while?"
"Look at the platypus. I think so."

Here's how I see it.

God does exist. If he didn't we'd be one hell of a coincidence. I look at trees, people, animals, and see intentional design, a mind beind the form.

God lets evil exist because evil is what tests good's mettle. The worse evil is, the better good becomes in the end, so there.

Submerge said:

Here's how I see it.

God does exist. If he didn't we'd be one hell of a coincidence. I look at trees, people, animals, and see intentional design, a mind beind the form.

God lets evil exist because evil is what tests good's mettle. The worse evil is, the better good becomes in the end, so there.

Evil (blowing up the WTC) is often met with more Evil (bombing innocent civvies in Afghanistan).

How do you explain away that one?

you're absolutely correct, Spike. After the WTC attack, people started working together and becoming closer. But, we did bomb the shit out of Afghanistan, which proves another theory of mine. Evil creates good which creates evil which creates good again in a neverending loop. it's a vicious cycle.

Submerge said:

Here's how I see it.

It's called "Evolution"

Disorder said:
The fact alone that most cultures have their own Gods is to me living proof that they just came up with one to reassure themselves...

The flip side of that it while there are many different religions, they are all geared around the principals; i.e. they all have the belief that if you do the right thing, you will be rewarded in the afterlife, as well as the concept of one all powerful being (even the roman and Greek gods all answered to Zeus / rah ect. Also, ALL civilizations had religion. All those remote tribes on all the little islands dotted around the ocean have religion

I might also add that the Islamic god, the christen god and the Jewish god is the same god worshiped differently.

Coincidence? Hey, it could very well be. But little thing like that will always keep me wondering.

Submerge said:
Here's how I see it.
God does exist. If he didn't we'd be one hell of a coincidence. I look at trees, people, animals, and see intentional design, a mind behind the form.

to which Shaviro replied:
It's called "Evolution"

That’s another thing that bothers me. Let me start be saying that I am a firm believer in Evolution. It makes sense. But the thing is, life is extremely complex. It takes a VERY pacific set of circumstances for life to take form from clay. To get some perspective, “It’s like a tornado blowing through a garbage dumb and all the rubbish landing together and forming a Boeing 747” as one smart fellow put it. In other words, it’s no mere coincidence that we exist. However, if we are here as the result of divine intervention is a little more hazy.

Q: Is there a god?

A: …

I look at trees, people, animals, and see intentional design, a mind beind the form.

The reason why is that the logics in your brain interpret and perceive certain structural patterns in that way. Intentional design isn't an absolute concept, it's just the way you see it. The 'mind' behind the form is most certainly the laws of physics and how they make things fractalize. Ever seen a Mandelbrot fractal? Beautiful, but there's no mind behind it other than a simple mathematical formula. It's the same with trees, animals, etcetera. Everything's the result of interaction between superstrings (or whatever the smallest brick in the universe might be).

Fredrik said:

The 'mind' behind the form is most certainly the laws of physics and how they make things fractalize. Ever seen a Mandelbrot fractal? Beautiful, but there's no mind behind it other than a simple mathematical formula. It's the same with trees, animals, etcetera. Everything's the result of interaction between superstrings (or whatever the smallest brick in the universe might be).

Yes, but without order there is chaos, and why is order present in everything? Why do laws of physics exist at all? You're dodging the issue.

As for superstrings, that is a nice theory but is based on a 7/8 dimensional universe and completely unexplained in terms of the mathematics. Even so, why would it exist?

This "Why does God allows all these evil things?" argument is lame, pathetic and unbelievably retarded.

GS-1719 said:
This "Why does God allows all these evil things?" argument is lame, pathetic and unbelievably retarded.

That is true, no matter witch side of the fence you sit on.

here we go again! simple solution,
YOU believe there is a god=then there is one
YOU don't believe there is a god=the there isn't one
YOU believe god lets bad things happen=then he is a twat
YOU believe god is good and has a plan for us=then god id a great guy!

it is completly up to what YOU believe...it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks!

Lizardcommando said:

If there REALLY is a God, shouldn't he have stopped all of the evil acts of the world? I mean, if there was a God, shouldn't he have stopped the hijackers from crashing the planes into the Twin Towers or something? Or, if there was a God, shouldn't he have stopped World War 1 and 2? To me, religion is just a clever way of lying to everyone that there is no such thing as a Utopian society. Everything considered bad is good, terrorism is a good way of reducing the overgrowing population, let the Nazis kill the Jewish people, and blah blah blah, so on and so forth... So? Where was God when all that shit was happening? No where! He's like the Easter Bunny, or Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy and all of that other good mythical things. THEY ARE ALL FAKE! If this ranting of mine offend you, sorry. This is one of the many things that I've been wondering for a long time.

Like gatewatcher said, God gave man free will to do what he pleases. Whether man does good or evil is up to man himself. Of course, there's also this guy named Satan that is always trying to get man to do the wrong things-and from the looks of it, he's been telling us what to do a lot here lately.

Shaviro said:

It's called "Evolution"

You state that like it's a well-known fact. As far as I'm concerned, it isn't.

DooMBoy said:

Like gatewatcher said, God gave man free will to do what he pleases. Whether man does good or evil is up to man himself. Of course, there's also this guy named Satan that is always trying to get man to do the wrong things-and from the looks of it, he's been telling us what to do a lot here lately.

if this "god" character lets people do whatever they want, then why should he care when they die?