Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomhead87

Favorite kinds of music

metal music is my music of choice. I prefer death/black metal, but listen to other kinds. '80s power and thrash, grindcore, instrumental. I also like movie scores, ie: hammer horror music, starwars, LotR, and most of danny elfmans stuff.

I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to music, I'll listen to just about anything except metal/punk (just noise IMHO), pop, gangsta rap, and country pop.

Ultimate DooMer said:

(at least you don't live in the UK, where the chart is dominated by such crap)

Dude, that phenomenon is universal :(

I like pretty much any kind of music, but I usually listen to either techno or Japanese pop music. And videogame music (i.e., Doom, Rott, Vectorman, Mega Man, ect.)

My favorite artists are Kraftwerk, Trance[]Control, and Minister for techno, while my favorite JPop artists are Megumi Hayashibara (female), Oda Kazumasa (male), Kinuko Oomori (female), Ayumi Hamasaki (female), and some Utada Hikaru (female, link on my site).

I also listen to "Weird Al", Chopin, Franz Schubert, Beethovin, Lee Jackson of 3d Realms (Rott, oh yeah), Daft Punk, Oakenfold, NeoGeo music, disco (heh), Blondie, 80's rock, Information Society, and stuff like that. Don't listen to rap, though. Nothing against it, just don't like it that well.

kulma said:

finnish psy-trance is da m00st eccseleens 'nd e-lay tech-no on the planet. most techno and trance and house is boring, but not psilo fennnika :)

Well, here we go: Mostly, electronic music, like psychedelic trance - particularly the one from Israel (good one, kulma!) - and Ambient (chill-out), sometimes a drum ´n´ bass, sometimes a rap (Beastie Boys, Cypress Hill), sometimes an acid jazz (Guru), sometimes a dub reggae (Mad Professor), sometimes a kind of psy-rock (Sonic Youth and Pink Floyd).

myk said:

...some stuff you can dance to (like Bjork and Prince)...

Oh, yeah myk, I also like Bjork. Her song ´Bachelorette´ has a wonderful sweet melody!

Hip-hop, reggae, disco, interplanetary bass, dub, Eurodance, rubadub, raï, trance, R&B, country...

14 minutes ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

That is one HELL of a bump.

It's the bumpiest bump that ever bumped.

Bro bumped a thread that's older than me lmao.

I always thought that people bitching about bumping older threads was corny as shit but WOW. 

TWENTY YEARS???

oh yea also i guess i kinda like breakcore and uhhhhhhh whatever music genre is freedoom soundtrack

Wow... this was quite a necro. I'm kind of surprised I didn't post in this thing 20 damn years ago. 

But I have to say, Fraggle was way ahead of his time.

...well, no reason to not use it now.

*clears throat*

I'm currently discovering some of King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard's stuff, an Australian psychedelic rock band with a prolific output. 'Interior People' was the song I knew them for, but I've recently started listening to the albums 'Infest the Rat's Nest' and 'Nonagon Infinity'. Really intense tracks, they are very much worth checking out!

31 minutes ago, Bowsertime28 said:

oh yea also i guess i kinda like breakcore and uhhhhhhh whatever music genre is freedoom soundtrack

I agree, breakcore is sick

10 minutes ago, Jello said:

Wow... this was quite a necro. I'm kind of surprised I didn't post in this thing 20 damn years ago. 

But I have to say, Fraggle was way ahead of his time.

@Remilia Scarlet as well. Aged like a fine wine.

It's not often you read an old Internet forum thread and there's no rancid shit best left forgotten.

giggle the permafrost is slowly releasing ancient posts back into the atmosphere

i love goth rock and prog rock and post-punk and industrial and ebm and electro and amiga game soundtracks

i keep transforming my taste though, i need to always be looking at the old compilation tapes i made and saying "what the hell was i thinking??"

plus I make music so it's nice to crop rotate

4 hours ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

That is one HELL of a bump.

Is this rock ’n’ roll?

It would be easier to create new thread than go down to the lowest, forgotten parts of forum just to reply about favourite music.

It's weird that 15-22 years old threads aren't mass locked to prevent bumps. 

Anyway, I'm mostly into darkwave/post punk/metal/rock these days. Depending on mood, you can also hear me blasting my favourite game soundtracks or going with ambient music. 

I love this bump!

I like reading old threads to see how many people are still here. Strange hobby, I know. ;D  But as we can see, several of the original posters are still in this wonderful scene, so I gave a like to all who at least visited into late 2022, figuring they'll be around again.

As for me, I'm a fan of the Russian Romantics, Big Band Swing, Jump Blues, R&B, Rockabilly, '60s Rock, Oldschool Punk, a fair amount of metal, and rap/hip-hop.

In some cases, my fondness for a genre is limited. For example, with progressive rock, it's mostly King Crimson and Yes. When it comes to industrial, it's mostly Surgical Penis Klinik and KMFDM. Bands like Rabbit Junk and Atari Teenage Riot form kind of an unusual group that can be called Digital Hardcore, but they mix genres to their advantage.

And then of course there's Miley.

And @yakfak +1 for Amiga game soundtracks. Can't wait until I get some speakers for my A500 Mini!

Well... as an update to my post here ~20 years ago...

Industrial, darkwave, and video game music are my staples these days.  Also some heavy metal, dark ambient, or retrowave at times. I suppose the way I see it is that my tastes have just sorta evolved into something that is more authentically "me" over time.

I still love the stuff I mentioned originally, especially trance music, but I don't listen to those as much. Except maybe Krafwerk, they're so eternal and listenable ❤️

I listen to a lot of goth/post-punk, extreme metal, prog rock, jazz, ambient, 60s and 80s pop, industrial, techno (mainly dub/minimal) and video game music. 

4 hours ago, Misty said:

It would be easier to create new thread than go down to the lowest, forgotten parts of forum just to reply about favourite music.

Yeah, and then you have people complaining about making a new thread about an already existing 20 year old topic. Weird!

Now onto this topic: Metal / Hard Rock / Neue Deutsche Härte. If it isn't made of Metal or Rock I sleep.