Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alientank

How time travel works

well its hard to say, but there is a way to almost go that fast. if you go through a worm hole. actually, light can escape a black hole, but at an incredibly slow rate of speed. and plus i bet in a black hole there is allot of cold since the nearest star is very far away, and since its so slow, light actually travles slower since its like really cold. and yes. light will not move at 0 degrees kelvin.

kain said:

well its hard to say, but there is a way to almost go that fast. if you go through a worm hole. actually, light can escape a black hole, but at an incredibly slow rate of speed. and plus i bet in a black hole there is allot of cold since the nearest star is very far away, and since its so slow, light actually travles slower since its like really cold. and yes. light will not move at 0 degrees kelvin.

Time travel does not work. If it would we would already know about it.

To go through a worm hole you must find it and get to it first. It’s not like Star Strek.
Temperature has nothing to do with the speed of light or light waves. Unlike a complete atom which does stop moving a 0k, light is different to the atom. In fact it works quite the opposite. Also why would a black hole be cold? It has a shit load of energy bundled up.

http://www.virtualchaos.org/science/conduct.html
What happens when things get cold

Time travel does not work. If it would we would already know about it.

Not if the universe is split every time an event occurs.

I've heard about two things on this subject.

The first was a jet flying a bit and then landing. The jet had an atomic clock and the people on the ground had another. Before the flight, they synced the clocks to ecact time. When the jet landed, the clock on the jet was behind the one on the ground. Don't really know what test this was or if it's actually credable, but technically speaking you could move something fast enough and slow time till it halted, or even reversed, but considering the speed would have to be well beyond the speed of light with that, it kinda throws that out the window. :D

The other one was a test where some scientists made some kind of loop thingy (such technical terms! :) with light. Somehow, a millisecond before they predded the button, the light had hit the target. Yet again, I've only heard of this, I haven't actually seen the technical stuff on it, so I have no idea if it's accurate or not. Oh well, just saying stuff. :)

well its been proven only recently. i dont know why it is called a black hole.
also, it will be cold outhere in space because there is no light. you know out on the cold side of the earth its roughly -200 degrees f???
and in the lighted side, its like +200 or something i dont remember. it was a show on tlc i saw.and plus it is possible to go that fast. they are trying to do it with a tiney spacecraft with a big ass parachute like 1000 times the size of the spacecraft. it was only a test but it worked. the lights rays bounced off the parachutte and propelled the damn thing. i forgot the numbers, but it would take a hella long time( lightyears? ) for that thing to get even close to the sped of light.

kain said:

well its been proven only recently. i dont know why it is called a black hole.

I suspect you heard a poor description of Hawking Radiation. This is a way in which energy is radiated from a black hole; it's not visible light though. It depends on quantum effects, and the notion that a vacuum contains, from a quantum mechanical perspective, pairs of particles and anti-particles that are spontaneously popping in and out of existence. IIRC, the idea dates back to the 1980s, if not earlier (in other words, I can't be bothered to look it up right now!).

EDIT: I could be bothered to look it up: 1973. My memory sucks.

Fredrik said:

Not if the universe is split every time an event occurs.

This would mean for time to exist. For time to exist we would need to live in a deterministic universe. We do not.

Phoenix said:

...we would need to live in a deterministic universe. We do not.

Our current view of the universe involves a hypothesis that the universe is not deterministic, and up to a point that hypothesis has served theoretical physicists pretty well. It need not necessarily be true though.

Grazza said:

Our current view of the universe involves a hypothesis that the universe is not deterministic, and up to a point that hypothesis has served theoretical physicists pretty well. It need not necessarily be true though.

Yep. - I just voiced my opinion.

Michael Crichton, T1m3l1n3.

(Sorry for writing it like that... I am a moron.)

You can't go faster than light, because the nearer you get to lightspeed, the slower time goes past elsewhere from your perspective (this is a known fact, and explains why high altitude planes' clocks go out of sync with ones on the groud). It means that, when you actually reach light speed, from your perspective, time will freeze altogether, which means that your space vessel won't actually be moving anymore.

You can kind of use this to achieve time travel though, because if you get as near as near as possible to light speed (without actually achieving it) and then slow back down again, a huge amount of time will have passed for everyone else while only a tiny fraction of this time will have passed for you.

You could also do the same thing without going at insane speeds, by orbiting (as near as is safely possible) a black hole. These things apparently not only suck in matter and light, but time too.

Another method would be to enter an alternate reality where either time travels at a different speed to our own, or the speed of light is higher than it is here. This is also probably the only way of travelling backwards in time, because it's conceivable that there are realities where time flows in the opposite direction to our own. However, entering another reality would be extremely dangerous, because if the universal laws are different enough there, you could simply pop out of existence altogether.

The simplest, cheapest, and by far the safest method of travelling forward in time would be to simply cryogenically freeze yourself.