gatewatcher

Do you like slipknot?

Do you like slipknot?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like slipknot?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don\'t Know

No way! Manufactured pop is the lowest! (as, although some eurodance isn't that good, some of it is IMO. All manufactured pop is crap!)

Little Faith said:

Eurodance remakes of classic songs are the lowest!

<rant>I presume you're having a go at Scooter for sampling 'that tune' a while ago? Well, I happen to like that tune, along with everything else they've done in the past eight years. (so I'm not jumping on the 'we love them' or 'we hate them' bandwagon as I've been a fan since 1995, and it may be controversial to like them now, but I'm not ashamed and I don't care!)</rant>

gatewatcher said:

Slipknot isn't punk rock. Bad Religion is punk rock, slipknot is either nu metal or alternative metal.

Meh? Argh. Why such a struggle to catagorise bands to fit in with existing preconceptions? There are plenty of more useful things you could be doing with those brain cells.

Slipknot, like Mushroomhead, sound a lot like early Faith No More (Jizzlobber, Crack Hitler, etc). American Headcharge also bear more than a passing resemblance to Mike Patton's band.

Faith No More is a band that is nearly always mentioned when music magazines write about the nu metal genre.

BTW, Mike Patton is cool. Have you ever heard the stuff he did with Dan the Automator? Music to Make Love to Your Old Lady By was the title as far as I recall.

Spike said:

Meh? Argh. Why such a struggle to catagorise bands to fit in with existing preconceptions? There are plenty of more useful things you could be doing with those brain cells.

Slipknot, like Mushroomhead, sound a lot like early Faith No More (Jizzlobber, Crack Hitler, etc). American Headcharge also bear more than a passing resemblance to Mike Patton's band.

I agree that categorizing bands is sometimes a pointless endeavor, but there are some comparisons that need to be made and/or disputed. Such as Slipknot and punk rock. Slipknot may have punk ideology attached to it, but the genre of their music is not punk rock, it's some sort of metal. It's like, would you call a band like Guttermouth metal? No, so how can you call Slipknot punk rock?

Also, I will almost never compare Slipknot to Mushroomhead except for their jumpsuits and masks. I would compare MH to Faith No More, but very rarely Slipknot to FNM.

Slipknot's self-titled album was good IMO, it's one of the few CDs I can listen to all the way through. Iowa mostly sucks, but there's a few good songs on there.

Coal Chamber blows Slipknot away any day, though. Dark Days is a great album, *almost* as good as their first, most notably the song 'Something Told Me', my favorite from Dark Days. The best Coal Chamber song ever would have to be either 'Big Truck' or 'Loco' (to my taste anyway). Seeing Coal Chamber live is an experience to remember.

As for older metal, I quite enjoy Slayer, Iron Maiden, Anthrax, Morbid Angel, Cradle of Filth, Cannibal Corpse, Mortician, Type O Negative, etc.

Also, whoever knocks christian metal doesn't know what they're missing. Most notable would be Living Sacrifice, whose early music was insanely heavy thrash. Their Reborn and The Hammering Process albums still have a slight thrash edge to them, with a simple hardcore sound a-la Hatebreed predominant. I've yet to hear their sixth album, Conceived in Flame (or something like that), but I'm sure it kicks ass. Then there's Zao, Antestor, Bloodgood, Anaemia, Lament, and a shitload of others.

I don't nomrally knock things like christitan metal/christian death metal, but dammit, when I heard that for the first time, I laughed so hard I thought I was getting an ulcer.

this is what I heard.

*insert thrashing guitars/instruments here and in background

GGGRRRRRRROOOOOAAAAAAARRRGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!! JEEEEESSSSSSUUUUUSSSS.....GRRRAAAAHH GRRAAHHH SHOOWWWWED MEEE THE WAAAAYYYYYY.. GRRRRAAAAAAOOOORRRHHHHH!!!

I don't remember the name of the group, someone tells me it's No Innocent Victim, but he might be wrong. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just funny as hell to hear something like that said like that.

So now there are also grunting preachers ... ? Geez, and there I was thinking I've seen and heard everything already :P