Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

Most under rated game...

FirebrandX said:

I agree with Nanami about FF Tactics and Einhander. Both have been in my collection for a long time.

Unfortunately, I somehow misplaced half of my CDs (I have no idea how, I kept them all together!!) and I lost a lot of good games. I lost Bushido Blade I and II, Einhander, Spyro, Ehrgeiz, and like a bunch of other games.

I want Einhander again, that game was cool. I can't seem to find it though. I used to compete with a friend to see how fast we could kill each boss. I think I held the record with 3 seconds on the first boss. Double Flash.

Insomniac said:

Lode Runner

lol I made a billion levels for that game. Some good, some not.

Insomniac said:

Lode Runner

Heh, I remember that game, fun one, I made a few levels for that, mainly just pointless ones, but I had my fun, hmmm...wonder where it is now... :D

People who have said things like Doom, Quake, the LucasArts adventures, Starcraft and Chrono Trigger: what are you on, can I have some? :) These games were all major hits in their time, and they were all loved by the magazines too.

Doom and Quake in particular are both bestsellers, having sold tens of millions of copies each. Starcraft has sold almost as many copies - apparently it's a national, televised sport in Korea ;) IIRC, several of the LucasArts adventures got to number one in the charts at the time of their release, and remained there for quite some time too.

I have remembered two games that no-one else has mentioned yet though: Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2. Not Simon 3(D) though - that was so crap that even if it'd had only sold 10 copies it'd still be OVER-rated ;)

I seem to remember the original (NES) metroid got trashed by the UK magazines at the time of it's release, but I totally loved it... same goes with Simon's Quest. Pretty much ahead of their time.

/edit: and I can see why people are listing quake, because it has become fashionable to shit on it within this small community, hence it is seen by teh n00bs as underrated.

Sin has been mentioned (play it with the latest patch and it's definately worth it), as has MDK 2. Why hasn't anyone said Shogo: Mobile Armor Division yet? That game ownz.

Use3D said:

I have Little Computer People on C64, and wasn't Giana Sisters in trouble for being a Mario clone? In fact I think I have the Giana Sisters that was turned into Mario for C64. All originals (pirates) too, no emulators. the C64 has a ton of underrated games, so does Sega Saturn.

page 1
(where the developers at one point even got sued (if that's the proper word) by Nintendo for it)

I never found out how that ended, but since Giana Sisters II also appeared...

I think you're right about Little Computer People, since it's original 'story' was it being a disk, developed with help of Commodore Business Machines, who 'proved' at one point that all their computers had 'little people' living in it, which you can give a home by using that disk :P Read the original manual, it's quite funny!

Luckily for us there are emulators out there as well as a lot of disks/ROMs to download and play :D Get the cool (C64) games here! :)

I just started playing Strife again, since I haven't played it in years. I forgot how much I liked this game!

The very first Megaman for the NES. It was the second one that really made the series popular, but the first one was also fun. It was a bit harder though.

Faceball 2000 for the SNES. It was the very first 3D type game I've played (Wizardry doesn't really count), and it's similar to Doom in a few ways. "Have a nice day."

There is an old adventure game by Lucasarts named "Loom". It was inspired by the music from the famous Swan Lake ballet.

It was extremely beautiful at times and had a very interesting setting/storyline. It also had some really odd ideas such as the magic system and the lack of an inventory.

I still consider the EGA version more beautiful than the VGA one.

Castlevania 64
Castlevania : Legacy of Darkness
Star Wars : Dark Forces
3d Adventures of Worldrunner (for those who remember this NES game ;) )
Doom
Zelda II: The Adventures Of Link
Quake II
Chips Challenge ;)

Tyrian

most of Apogees old 2d games, like duke nukem 1&2

Both system schocks

Keen Dreams!

Little Big Adventure 2:

A near perfect mix of action and adventure. Mind you, some of the battles are rather tricky.

And the grobos, knartas and mosquebees are cute.

Someone said:

Lode Runner

That was a classic, especially with custom levels.

Also The Duel: Test Drive II and System Shock series.

Wobbo said:

Tyrian

most of Apogees old 2d games, like duke nukem 1&2

I still only got the shareware of Tyrian, still fun.

Neverliked Duke Nukem (any of them)

I liked Duke Nukem 3d just fine, especially the first two maps, but I alweys disliked DN1 and DN2. I think Jazz Jackrabbit is the only platformer other than Prince of Persia that I liked.

Why hasn't anyone said Shogo: Mobile Armor Division yet? That game ownz.

I found that game to be rather lacking. The engine had a couple of thousand bugs in it that made it nearly unplayable (not as bad as Blood 2, but still staggering - both were Lithtech). I didn't find the graphics to be all that swell; most of the levels are even more bare than Doom. Gameplay wise, I though the game was totally unfair when you were human. The lowest grunt in the game could easily take off 75% of your health in an instant, and enemies would always seem to be placed in the most annoying areas possible. The mech parts where a lot more fun, but I still didn't think they were all that great once the "hey that weapon looks cool" factor wore off.

a game i remeber is heavy metal FAKK2, made by the creators of SIN. It was praised at its release but after that it seemed to drop of of all knowlege. Even on its release i never saw a copy. finaly grabed one a year later in a game shop in south anachronox.
great game if you like wierd creatures, ass kicking weapons and a shit load of violence. My only beef with the games was it was short and mosquitos, but they were not that bad. Good thing they left it open for a sequel and i hope they make it a good game once agian, however make it longer.

other games i mentioned was homeworld, Think of it as command & conquer, in 3D and in space. the graphics, music and sounds were impressive. animation was totaly buetiful and the ships kicked ass. however cataclysm had better features and all new weapons, and ships. though it said "addon pack" it was really a totaly seperate game from another company. If you see this game grab it! trust me i dont even like games like C&C but damn i sure loved homeworld. I dont know why it was never a big time game, maps are extreamly easy to make and it was also able to use mods. prehaps this is proof that a game needs released at a good time. chances are it was overshadowed by other games of the time. Maybe quake3, unreal tournament and a few other big titles.

over rated games:
pokemon- not saying it is bad just over rated

duke3d- technology was worse than quake's, it was fun but over rated. bugs in the early releases, nasty ones, infact noclip still dont work right. it liked the game but i felt it was over rated.

quake3- felt incomplete and load times suck, compared with other games(includeing ones useing the Q3 engine)

Half-life over rated because PCgamer said it was #1 game of all
time. this game is great and yes it IS very good, but not #1. did a demo release cause any servers to crash like doom's release? was it the first with good deathmatch and modem/LAN play? people forget it had to suffer to be great, massive patches and such sucked. i owned an original copy before the hype hit the fan and the single player part was bugged out.

DOOM and DOOM II. I mean, we don't have everyone down on their knees pissing their pants shouting "DOOM rules and every other game sucks!!" So they're quite underrated...

FirebrandX said:

But for most under rated game, my personal pick is Rygar for the NES. Still ranks in my top 25 games.

Damn straight! Rygar is the shit.
I can't wait to try the PS2 version.

Little Faith said:

Keen Dreams!

heh, imo, it was the worst keen game. Keen 4 was/is the best keen game ever... :)

I'd either have to say Chasm: The Rift or Tecmo's Deception for the PS 1. Oh! And fatal frame (also brought to us by the good folks at Tecmo).

Vulg@r said:

I'd either have to say Chasm: The Rift or Tecmo's Deception for the PS 1. Oh! And fatal frame (also brought to us by the good folks at Tecmo).

Ah...i'm not the only person to have ever played chasm....underrated indeed. The maps sucked, and the gameplay was bland, but the models of the (nicly diverse btw) enemies and weapon have the smoothest damn animation i've seen...helluvalot better than quake or quake 2 for that matter.

Well, I wouldn't say doom is under-rated, just unappreciated by alot of n00b gamers and 3D-gaming conformists.

Wobbo said:

Tyrian

I remember playing the shareware version of it! I played the damn thing to death!!! :p I just wish I can find a store that has a copy of the game. :(

Sephiroth said:

over rated games

You forgot to add in these games (in my opinions):

Mario Sunshine
Metroid Prime
Jet Force Gemini
Donkey Kong 64

Although they seemed cool in magazine previews, those games weren't as fun as how the magazine describe the experience.