Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

Most under rated game...

Quast said: Ah...i'm not the only person to have ever played chasm....underrated indeed. The maps sucked, and the gameplay was bland, but the models of the (nicly diverse btw) enemies and weapon have the smoothest damn animation i've seen...helluvalot better than quake or quake 2 for that matter.

Yeah, that was good stuff. They could've made better maps, but some of the base/installation maps were neat. The guns were a bit blah though. Other than that I couldn't complain at all. And on second thought, Doom 64 is also underrated. This is because I can't ever find it to rent at video stores...bah.

david_a said:

I found that game to be rather lacking. The engine had a couple of thousand bugs in it that made it nearly unplayable (not as bad as Blood 2, but still staggering - both were Lithtech). I didn't find the graphics to be all that swell; most of the levels are even more bare than Doom. Gameplay wise, I though the game was totally unfair when you were human. The lowest grunt in the game could easily take off 75% of your health in an instant, and enemies would always seem to be placed in the most annoying areas possible. The mech parts where a lot more fun, but I still didn't think they were all that great once the "hey that weapon looks cool" factor wore off.

That sounds like the polar opposite of my gameplay experience with Shogo.

I remember hearing the reviews about Wizardry 8, and I thought it was a really good game. I bought it and tried it out...and returned it on the same day. It was nothing like the early Wizardry games. The controls weren't that great, and although it looked alright, that didn't save it.

Any version of Shadowman 1 (except PS1 version)

PS1 shadowman and Shadowman: 2econd coming sucked ass! Shadowman 1 was a great game! I got the dreamcast version.

another game i just fired up, duke nukem Manhattan project. it brings back the classic duke sidescrolling with a 3d engine. they did a damn good job of it too. Animations are good, models, textures and sounds also look great. It is also loaded with all the classic duke humor and satire that makes duke so fun. though it has a corney story that it self is a cry for games with a 'classic' feel. The mix of the adult duke humor and violence is great. it is a game you should have and it has been priced really well, at about $25 US(even at release time)
before i got it i thought it would suck and was thinking it was a desperate cry for money, last i checked 3d realms had money issues. yet if this was a cry it was a damn good one.

i wish they would do a new keen game in a similar way.

Erik said:

Uniracers

One of my fiends owns that game, but i've never played it...now i'm intrigued

(EDIT:) I meant to put "Friends", but i left it like that because it looked so damn funny.

Raziel said:

PS1 shadowman and Shadowman: 2econd coming sucked ass! Shadowman 1 was a great game! I got the dreamcast version.

one of my favorite dreamcast games of all time. I didn't mind 2nd Coming but it's nothing compared to the original.

Xenogears was awesome imo, I never finished it tho, got stuck, and something went wrong with the cd or something so I cant continue unless I restart, but I got really far, so i probably wont do.

Yeh Xenogears kicks ass. I flew through the fucking game, yet it still took me like 65 hours to beat (best final battle ever).....awsome game

GooberMan said:

That sounds like the polar opposite of my gameplay experience with Shogo.

Well, the game did get good reviews at a lot of places. <shrugs>

I played it just last year, so I was comparing the experience to more modern shooters than were available at the time of it's release. I admit that there were a couple of cool parts, but I was really put off by the constant barrage of quirks and bugs in the engine.

How about the Might and Magic series? Or even the Extreme games? Like Extreme Paintbrawl. Oh yes, definitely underrated.

Sid Miers Alpha Centauri is the best non-action game of all time, and that COUNTS non-electronic stuff like chess.

I wouldn't say quite so.

Still Alpha Centauri owns because it actually offers some alternatives besides war to win the game.

If you still like Alpha Centauri you should give the web page networknode.org a look. It is shock full with custom factions of whom some are really fun and insightful.

Yeah i already knew about that, im getting the add-on pack very soon. The game rules, and civ3 sux

You are talking about Alien Crossfire?

Well, buy it! ..but be prepared to be dissapointed somewhat some places.

Surely the aliens have all sorts of neat concepts, but whenever you play with them it'll eventually turn out to be an all out war between one block and another with little room for diplomacy. I usually substitute a pair of the old factions for them.

Surely there are some neat factions there like the Free Drones (a labour union/syndicalist faction) and the Cult of Planet (green fundamentalists), but there are also some notoriously weak faction concepts like a faction of computer hackers (how realistic) and a faction which ideology can be summed up as: "Arr, we be pirates and we live under the sea".

That said, Alien crossfire is a neat expansion with cool features (the wildlife has more bite, more landmarks) and more mod friendliness (Alphatx.txt has a CUSTOMFACTION entry), and if you don't care for the new factions just use some of the old instead.

Little Faith said:

You are talking about Alien Crossfire?

Well, buy it! ..but be prepared to be dissapointed somewhat some places.

Surely the aliens have all sorts of neat concepts, but whenever you play with them it'll eventually turn out to be an all out war between one block and another with little room for diplomacy. I usually substitute a pair of the old factions for them.

Surely there are some neat factions there like the Free Drones (a labour union/syndicalist faction) and the Cult of Planet (green fundamentalists), but there are also some notoriously weak faction concepts like a faction of computer hackers (how realistic) and a faction which ideology can be summed up as: "Arr, we be pirates and we live under the sea".

Actually im buying just to be able to play as the drones or data Angles, (THE PIRATES RULE!!!) ive already known about the flaws and bugs and stuff for years from hearing other people discuss it. but i love the game so much im gonna get it anyway - thats how much i love the game

plus i had the 100-turn demo and like 9 saved games might as well not have made all of those a waste of time !

and the factions on network node arent any better, in fact most of them are just downright stupid.

by the way, its imposssible to buy Tyrian, you HAVE to warez it - all the companies involved in making it have either dissapeared of given the rights to a company that has dissapeared (Epic)

Wobbo said:

by the way, its imposssible to buy Tyrian, you HAVE to warez it - all the companies involved in making it have either dissapeared of given the rights to a company that has dissapeared (Epic)

NOO!!!!!! Dammit! Why doesn't Epic turn the game into freeware if no one wants to make it?

Wobbo said:

Damn. Oh well, might as well start looking elsewheres then. :P