Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

BIOS help required...

I just had the fan in the computer's power supply replaced, because it kept going noisy and was probably causing some kernel32.dll errors I was experiencing...

Before I had it replaced, half the time the computer would fail to boot up, even to a video bios. Instead, I'd have a blank screen, and through the PC speaker, I'd hear the following...

Low pitched: Long beep, two short beeps.
[1-second pause]
High pitched: Continuous short beeps until I turn the computer off.

1) I removed the Voodoo3 card and put it back in. No change.

2) I replaced the Voodoo3 card with an ATI Rage Pro 2x card. No change.

I tried a third video card, some unknown brand of PCI from 1995. It booted into the BIOS. The first low-pitched beeps didn't occur, but the continuous high-pitched beeps were still there. I looked on the screen, it said something about Award BIOS, copyright 1995. And then "BIOS Checksum error."

So BIOS checksum error it is. Surely this is a big clue.

It is my expert opinion that your motherboard is fried. Chuck that bitch and make for the meat market!

If you're too cheap for that, you might try flashing the board. Pop the clock battery (it looks like a wee silver disc), wait a little while, and try it again. The only other thing that would do that is bad RAM. I've had a lot of bad RAM in my days, and I've discovered that it can do a lot of bad things to a machine.

DC

Pff, you're both being morons. I shouldn't be asking these kinds of questions on a silliness-oriented board.

Edit: Yeah, that's better Doom-Child. You edited just in time. Now how exactly can you pop the little silver battery without breaking it?

You're right about the battery. You won't break it, simply push it down and lift an edge with a screwdriver. However, to reset the BIOS you need to short the two poles of the battery socket. Just hold the poles together for 5 seconds.

Wait...then what good does pulling the battery do? I thought it returned the BIOS to factory condition!

DC

Just checked, some boards have a jumper near the battery that you close to reset the BIOS. But your're right, just taking the thing out should do it.

I get one long and 2 shorts beeps follow by Hi -Lo tone ?
This could be due to the following;
1. the ram module is bad,
2. bad power supply.
3. the data in the Bios chips is corrupted. - try clear Cmos.As instructed, short jumpers, or hold silver foil under m/board where battery is, taking battery out doesn't reset bios, the chip will hold information.
Indicator Message
One Short Beep = Normal POST system OK
Two Short Beeps = POST error, see screen for error code
No Beeps = Power, Power Supply Loose Card or Short
Continuous Beep = Power, Power Supply Loose Card or Short
Repeating Short Beep = Power, Power Supply Loose Card or Short
One Long and One Short Beep = System Board
One Long and Two Short Beeps = Video (Mono/CGA Display Circuitry)
One Long and Three Short Beeps = Video (EGA) Display Circuitry
Three Long Beeps = Keyboard Card Error
One Beep, Blank or Incorrect Display Video Display Circuitry

Ultraviolet said:

fod: bad power supply = NOTHING HAPPENS

fodders said:

No Beeps = Power, Power Supply Loose Card or Short

If you're resetting the BIOS or touching some switches, make sure that you not only unplug the computer, but also remove the mainboard's power cables. Otherwise, you'll most likely get stray currents from the capacitors in the power supply during the operation and your changes will either make no difference or fuck things up worse.

IMJack: I was referring to...

one long and 2 shorts beeps follow by Hi -Lo tone ?
This could be due to the following;
2. bad power supply.

Ultraviolet said:

IMJack: I was referring to...

A BAD power supply, obviously not a DEAD power supply. The first step of POST is the testing of the Power Supply to ensure that it is turned on and that it releases its reset signal.

make sure everything is plugged in all the way. btw, why replace the noisy fan when you can just re lube the bearings on it? i do it about every other month.