Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jute

a question regarding post hell

the_Danarchist said:

You know, with crap like this going on all the time, I don't even know why I'm here anymore.

What are you talking about? This is a great thread!

Ichor said:

It was easy to find that. Just search using Google.

Yes, but I am a lazy man!

heh, I can't remember when I made that thread. :/

AndrewB said:
Reread this entire _______ thread, _____.

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but all these silly lines keep appearing in you posts!

I think he's right there, he did say something good for once. YAY. Lets throw a party!

/note...sarcastic.

Scuba Steve said:

Scuba Steve's image

Dead thread a-walkin'...

Personally, I try to use tools other than Post Hell and titles to put discussions back on track.

BBG said:

He's been like that since a baby, probably.

What, he's been a baby since he was a baby? :P

Ct_red_pants said:

heh, I can't remember when I made that thread. :/

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but all these silly lines keep appearing in you posts!

It's html like what happend to Mac. :P Heh.

How about I say some words?

I guess what people should keep in mind is that mods are users with special powers... but still users. When you come in the forums when you're drunk, high, under the shock of any real life problem and so on, you may over-react and post stupid things. Surprisingly, when that happens, nearly everyone is like "come on, he/she's a good guy/chick usually, don't loser/ban/post-hell/...". Even more surprisingly, mods don't get that kinda friendly support. Why?

Mods are not paid, they are taking of their time in order to prevent these forums from being taken over by morons. They are here to make sure everyone is entitled to his opinion including themselves, even including people known for their hatred against some of the staff. You can focus on errors or abuses but the fact is these are exceptions: the overall mod attitude is pretty friendly, just read the forums and you'll see they often join the fun in stupid/silly threads. I have the feeling our mods do a great job. Of course, I happen not to agree with some decisions but that's rare indeed. You must realize there is a moderator-only forum where issues are discussed and it works as far as I'm concerned.

Since Ling's departure, I personaly had to make decisions and staff changes. We have Lüt who happens to be one of the best administrators I ever saw. This was a difficult decision to take, people in the staff didn't agree because of past events nearly every user is aware of. But it happens to be a success. Arioch, Cyb and Mordeth deserve their place both for historical reasons and also because they can be trusted. They have tastes, that's for sure, but they have this kind of intellectual honesty I'd like to see more. Mewse is mewse and there's no-one like him when it comes to bring some fun. I got rid of Kat and BBG for different reasons and, believe me, these were hard decisions to take: I can relate to Kat in so different areas it's amazing and BBG's commitment to the forums is not to be discussed.

As for all the others, I trust Lüt's decisions as to their positions. Personaly, I think they make a great job overall.

I never prevented a user from publicly questionning the mods policy... I even encouraged it instead of keeping this in private messages. I doubt there are a lot of forums where it's that easy to question mods and where they actually do reply. This should give you a good hint at the sanity of Doomworld.

So be nice, have fun and keep on dooming.

This is my take on it.

About what?
About the thread that 999cop keeps saying that "didn't deserve to be helled".

The Captian posted a thread of a kind I've seen a lot before - he posted an enquiry on how people feel about the Mods. That seems innocent enough, but the problem is that those threads always tend to attract stupid, baseless comments about why the Mods suck because they took a few (in the eyes of the post authors) wrong decisions. Lots of posts by people who have no idea how you're supposed to Mod a forum and who have no idea that it can sometimes be a difficult job.

One thing is that it's not very nice for a Moderator to peek into a thread to see all kinds of "That-and-that Mod is a retard" posts, namely because they do what they can to do their job the way they feel is the right way.

The second thing is that that kind of remarks are downright retarded and tend to cause flamewars or general retarded, off-topic comments.

Returning to "the Captian's" thread, it did start out decently, but as is quite evident by the material you yourself linked to, people started using the thread as an excuse to spam. And while spam can sometimes be interesting, the spam here was just dumb and not at all funny, so naturally, a Mod thinks it'd do more good in Post Hell than pestering the forums and as a consequence, he decides to move it there.

But I admit that we can sometimes be carried a bit away and take dumb decisions now and again (but that is very often also due to idiot Members who piss off a Mod with little reason to do so - a pissed Mod makes bad decisions), but I've taken a close, scrutinizing look at this thread (at a time where I was in a perfectly neutral mood mind you), and I think I'd have done the same as Arioch if I were in a position to deal with it, not only because it was already retarded, but also to prevent it from evolving into worse-than-crap.

Regarding Post hell... are Mods allowed to move threads from post back to the normal forum? Or does it happen to be a one way ticket?

Scuba Steve said:

Regarding Post hell... are Mods allowed to move threads from post back to the normal forum? Or does it happen to be a one way ticket?

I haven't tried that myself, but yes, Mods should be able to "un-Hell" it and it's been done before, so I assume that at least someone can do it.

dsm said:

I haven't tried that myself, but yes, Mods should be able to "un-Hell" it and it's been done before, so I assume that at least someone can do it.

Yes indeed-a-lee-do, I've seen it done too, but usually the thread ends back up in Post Hell anyways, so yeah, heh. :D

Super mods can do it, a mod tends to be limited to actions inside his/her own named forum, though some mods can ban so watch it heh

pritch said:

Super mods can do it, a mod tends to be limited to actions inside his/her own named forum, though some mods can ban so watch it heh

Dun Dun Dunnnnnnnnnn :D

But, what do you mean, some mods? like are only a few gifted mods able to? or just super mods or...?

All super mods can ban people, but only some regular mods can. I wasn't sure if regular mods can just ban people from individual forums, but apparently it's for all the forums.

Ichor said:

All super mods can ban people, but only some regular mods can.

I knew that Supar mods can bannage, but do you mean like only a few chosen "normal" mods can ban? like lets say we have M1 M2 and M3. (M standing for Mod). So like lets say M1 can't ban, but M2 can ban, and M3 can't. Is it like that? Like only privliged ones can? :D

Heh, and I thought the banning option was just for supermods and admins.

I banned Kirby X a while ago and I'm just a regular Grunt Mod, so yes, some regular Mods can ban.

But you can rest assured that I only ban people when I'm absolutely certain that the offender is a nuisance to the entire forum and not just me - I do not ban people over pathetic stuff like personal strife, although I might ban someone who deliberately pisses off a number of people on the forums.
And I often check the Staff forum to see if there is a general dislike towards the offender and if I see enough Staff Members bitch about a certain guy, I'll ban him if he isn't already banned.

DOOM Anomaly said:

I knew that Supar mods can bannage, but do you mean like only a few chosen "normal" mods can ban? like lets say we have M1 M2 and M3. (M standing for Mod). So like lets say M1 can't ban, but M2 can ban, and M3 can't. Is it like that? Like only privliged ones can? :D

Each individual moderator has a list of yes/no privileges that I fill out when I assign them:

Can edit posts
Can delete posts
Can view IPs
Can manage threads (move,copy,split,etc)
Can open and close threads
Can edit thread information (subject,icon,notes,etc)
Can moderate new posts
Can moderate new attachments
Can modify styles (not implemented yet)
Can ban users from board
Can can view whole user profile (but not edit)
Can post announcements
Can mass move threads
Can mass prune threads

Only the mods of busy forums like General or EE are allowed to ban. Supermod privileges are edited in the usergroup editor.

Oh, and in addition to that privileges list, if I don't like a certain mod, there's an option I can enable that will send them an email everytime a new post is made to their forum :D

Lüt said:

Oh, and in addition to that privileges list, if I don't like a certain mod, there's an option I can enable that will send them an email everytime a new post is made to their forum :D

Oh so deliciously evil.