Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cyber-menace

A Musical! Best Film!

cyber-menace said:

I just saw something disturbing today. I was watching TV this morning and a commericial came on. It was advertising that damn Spirited Away movie and said it was coming to theatres! OMG THAT REALLY ANNOYED ME! I probably wouldn't have had to see that disturbing commericial if it didn't win an Acadamy Award, I mean that was the VERY first thing it said on the commericial. Handing an Oscar to a movie that hasn't been introduced to the English speaking world is just beyond stupid. BLECH!

Watch the _______ movie. It's out on video April 15th. I'll DVD it if it doesn't cost much more than $20.

Lüt said:

Tolkien was a great writer in a historical and personal sense, but his visual descriptions are among the worst I've ever read. The movies were quite necessary in order to complete that element of the story.

Tolkien did indeed have a wordy, heavy-handed way of descibing things. And I will be one of the first to admit that the movies help one visualize his vision. Just imagine if all of the story was included in the motion picture. Better bring along a recliner and a 6 pack of Jolt, because you're in for a 5 hour flick.

Spirited away deserved the Oscar.See it before flaming it.

Handing an Oscar to a movie that hasn't been introduced to the English speaking world is just beyond stupid.

I have watched the making of this movie.The producer did try to make the film more easily approached for American people (voice acting,well-translated script)

Lilo and Stich is also a good film.but Spirited Away`s story has its originality.this make it win the Oscar.

Wake-up call, dumbasses. "Spirited Away" is being re-released to theatres.

I actually need to rent that movie one of these years, even though Miyazaki isn't really my speed. (Princess Mononoke was pretty good.)

Lüt said:

Tolkien was a great writer in a historical and personal sense, but his visual descriptions are among the worst I've ever read. The movies were quite necessary in order to complete that element of the story.

Actualy, Alan Lee did that for me years ago, but since he did roughly half of the visual design for the movie, then yeah.

Anyway, as far as movies go, it seems to me that none of the good ones are ever given any credit. Sometimes a good movie with fresh ideas comes out and everyone likes it, like Pulp Fiction, Ed Wood, or any movie done by Stanley Kubrick, but for the most part good movies go unnoticed. Pretty much everything Terry Gilliam has ever directed has gotten blah reviews, and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen was hated by critics despite being one of the most intriging fantasy movies ever (though it was based on a book, but meh). And no one who has seen Twelve Monkeys or Brazil can say that those were anything less than great, yet they've gotten almost no recognition. Also there was the movie Wizards, an excelent animated feature (the best out there in my opinion) and though it had pretty mediocre animation, the story was excellent and it was put together excelently. Yet for some reason everyone commends Bakshi on either Lord of the Rings (which was horibbly drawn out and badly put together) because it was based on a classic book, or Fritz the Cat because it was the first ever X-Rated Cartoon (a lame reason in my opinion). Also, many people snubbed Dark City for not 'making any sense' when in fact was one of the clearest movies I've ever seen, and a good movie about the perception of reality (done several years before The Matrix).

Then there are many movies that go unnoticed because they are from England or something. Both Trainspotting and Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels were excellent films, yet I recall very little attention ever being drawn to them. Also, there was a lighthearted comedy from England called 'Saving Grace' that, though not being one of the funniest comedies of all time, definately had a great premise and was definately higher quality than any comedy that gets a lot of attention like anything by, say, the Farrely Bros. or Adam Sandler.

Then on the subject on anime...that stuff is the most bizzare crap ever. They seem to be just a bunch of random 'cool' scenes tied together then given some nonsensical plot just so they can market it as a 'movie'. I used to use Project A-ko as the epitomy of this, but then someone told me recently that it was just supposed to be a parody of other anime so I guess that makes sense somehow. Also, a friend showed me this one anime (in episode format) called 'Helsing'. It was actualy the first anime I've seen that I've ever enjoyed. In fact I liked it so much that I was dissapointed when he stopped showing them after the 8th episode or so claiming that the rest he had were 'badly translated'. It had the coolest characters, and like each episode revealed a little more of what was going on so you went from clueless, then dawning realization, then on to 'oooh shit! I get it now!'. So yeah, I guess nothing can be all-bad.

the_Danarchist said:

Then there are many movies that go unnoticed because they are from England or something. Both Trainspotting and Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels were excellent films, yet I recall very little attention ever being drawn to them. Also, there was a lighthearted comedy from England called 'Saving Grace' that, though not being one of the funniest comedies of all time, definately had a great premise and was definately higher quality than any comedy that gets a lot of attention like anything by, say, the Farrely Bros. or Adam Sandler

Sadly, too true.

the_Danarchist said:
...and was definately higher quality than any comedy that gets a lot of attention like anything by, say, the Farrely Bros. or Adam Sandler.

Since when does Adam Sandler do comedies?

Ct_red_pants said:

Umm, Happy Gilmore? The Wedding Singer? I don't think he does anything other than comedies.

Now I know Americans have no sense of irony, but I didn't know the Canadians didn't either.

AndrewB said:
I don't think he does anything other than comedies.

THINK ABOUT THAT.

AndrewB said:

Umm, Happy Gilmore? The Wedding Singer? I don't think he does anything other than comedies.

The joke is lost on you.

Ct_red_pants said:

Heh, so true...

Actualy, I liked Little Nicky, if only for the part with Ozzy.

The joke is that none of his comedies are comedic? Well, I would have to disagree.

"You're gonna die clown!!!" Just the way he said it.

And let's not forget that song in The Wedding Singer.

AndrewB said:

The joke is that none of his comedies are comedic? Well, I would have to disagree.

"You're gonna die clown!!!" Just the way he said it.

And let's not forget that song in The Wedding Singer.

You keep forgetting Big Daddy and The Waterboy.

I'd say Duce Biggalo... is the best movie Sandler has directed, its worth seeing a few times...but thats about it. Somehow, all the best moments in his movies go to Rob Schneider and Norm McDonald.

Norm was really funny in that movie, even though he only had a few lines. heahehaeha