Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

Since we’ve have practically every thing else: The death penalty!!!

do you support it?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. do you support it?

• Yes.
    • Yes, But only for extremely violent/sick crimes.
    • No.
    • I like hats.

Ichor said:

It's a lot better than the alternative.

How's that go? The ultimate quandary: you can either live a life of goodness and charity, assuming/hoping that you are earning a place in Heaven and avoiding Hell; or live a life of debauchery and sin, taking advantage of others and the like, and in so doing, place a bet on the fact that there is no Heaven or Hell so that you can enjoy an existence that you know is real, right now.

I'd rather not live my life like that and end up like esco, AdAmIzEr, or Swinewave. Even if there is no afterlife, that sort of lifestyle will get nowhere except maybe an early death.

Fredrik said:
"An eye for an eye will leave the whole world blind" was Gandhi. A man much greater than Jesus, btw.

I wonder if in 1000 years time people will be twisting Gandhis’ words to incite hatred?

Ct_red_pants said:

I wonder if in 1000 years time people will be twisting Gandhis’ words to incite hatred?

that's a fantastic idea.

myk said:

That dude may be great somehow, I don't know, but there's nothing free there, considering you have to subject your very soul to the avatar's being.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

the_Danarchist said
Whats so great about Heaven anyway?

Well, I have some notes from a previous message lying around (it was basically a travel brochure for Heaven), I suppose I could turn that into an essay if you want, but that's really something for another thread.

Actually, so are most of the last 20 replies too, but whatever :P

Heaven seems shallow any way you put it. Unless it's specifialy tailored to each individuals wishes its not really much of a paradise, just someone else's idea of perfection.

Cyberdemon said:

I like hats.

they are cool.

You know what is cooler than hats? People that make posts that are RELEVENT TO THE TOPIC...which I happen to not be doing right now :-P

Hey, I'm not trying to incite hatred, I'm just saying if someone killed a member of my familly I would like to see the murderer fry.

the_Danarchist said:

Heaven seems shallow any way you put it. Unless it's specifialy tailored to each individuals wishes its not really much of a paradise, just someone else's idea of perfection.

"Heaven" only seems shallow because you are incapable of imagining anything more than sitting in the clouds in a drugged-up state.

The outer limits of paradise are not dictated by your personal limits of imagination.

BBG said:

You know what is cooler than hats? People that make posts that are RELEVENT TO THE TOPIC...which I happen to not be doing right now :-P

I am a hat. I am cool.

I say let 'em fry. Besides, I like electric chairs. :P

Fredrik said:

"An eye for an eye will leave the whole world blind" was Gandhi. A man much greater than Jesus, btw.

How ignorant are you?

m0l0t0v said:

By killing a criminal you protect society and take revenge in it's name, but you forget the true purpose of justice and punishment.

True, most societies do.

m0l0t0v said:

The purpose of punishment is to teach the subject the difference between right and wrong. By killing the criminal the REAL problem is not solved, since he/ she never got the chance to truly learn from his/ her mistake. Instead of teaching them: "killing and raping are bad" they are taught: "if you get caught, we'll kill you".

Normal people know the difference b/w right and wrong. To think otherwise is extremely ridiculous. That is what diffrentiates man from animal, among many other things of course, is to diffrentiate b/w right and wrong and to choose what path they want to take. I'm sure most criminals who committed cruel acts knew of its malicious nature and also of its repurcussions, yet made the choice to go ahead and commit those acts. (Not talking bout insane people here.) Killing a person intentionally IS NOT A MISTAKE!

m0l0t0v said:
Any 'justice' system that allowes the death penalty is clearly too incompetent to handle criminals in a humane and rational way.

You have any alternatives in mind? Frankly speaking, I'm all for death penalty because acts like that cannot go tolerated. Put yourself in the position of a victim of a heinous crime and then see whether of not you think the death penalty is justified or not. Rehabilitation is a bullshit word these days.

You have any alternatives in mind? Frankly speaking, I'm all for death penalty because acts like that cannot go tolerated. Put yourself in the position of a victim of a heinous crime and then see whether of not you think the death penalty is justified or not. Rehabilitation is a bullshit word these days.

And yet, this is one of the reasons why people commit murder in the first place - a temporary state of aggression stemming from the emotional disorder associated with getting hurt by someone. One who's seeking revenge by violence is not thinking rationally or humanely in any way, be it a guy who goes to shoot someone who's been cheating with his wife or the relatives of a victim of murder. The main purpose of criminal penalties should always be to rehabilitate. Never to get revenge.

Is it even necessary by nature, as the victim of a heinous crime, to think that the death penalty is justified? Of course not. This is relatively uncommon in civilized societies (e.g. Scandinavia) where people, after the abating of the initial shock, tend to react by wanting to find a social and psychological understanding of the abhorrent event. Of course, this does not apply to everyone, but the climate here is still very different from that in the USA. I know, this argument will probably lead nowhere, because people from the USA never realize that they're 150 years behind in the process of decelerating the tension of violence-counterviolence.

That is just a reflection of an increasingly impotent society.

(A lot of old people in Europe)