Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fredrik

Level-by-level analysis of Doom2

That's right, we start with MAP01. Design? Rooms? Monster placement? Feel free to discuss what's in every single corner and how that's good/bad!

Originally posted by Fredrik
That's right, we start with MAP01. Design? Rooms? Monster placement? Feel free to discuss what's in every single corner and how that's good/bad!

I like the two pillars.

Originally posted by Maonth

I like the two pillars.

Yeah, they're pretty good. Add a lot of architecture to that room, all alone. I think some additional decoration to the room would've been useful though. Computers on the side walls would be awesome. I really like how there's a computer panel visible almost everywhere in some places in Doom 1.

Yeah, they're pretty good. Add a lot of architecture to that room, all alone. I think some additional decoration to the room would've been useful though. Computers on the side walls would be awesome. I really like how there's a computer panel visible almost everywhere in some places in Doom 1.

yeah. The pillars should probably resemple some high tech computer wiring stuff :P

yeah. The pillars should probably resemple some high tech computer wiring stuff :P

I think the same thing goes for the armor room. Man, that room was a big disappointment. If they (Romero?) had picked better textures for the boxes the zombies are standing on and put some DETAIL into the room (computers on the walls again? :), it would have looked a lot better.

I think the same thing goes for the armor room. Man, that room was a big disappointment. If they (Romero?) had picked better textures for the boxes the zombies are standing on and put some DETAIL into the room (computers on the walls again? :), it would have looked a lot better.

yeah. And what's with the weird walls?

yeah. And what's with the weird walls?

You mean the angled walls? Well, there's nothing wrong with that really (Romero used it a lot in Ep.1 and I think that was great), but, yeah, the room is too open and the walls at a too strange angle for it to make any sense, actually.

Don't you think a few crates in that room would've been really cool?

You mean the angled walls? Well, there's nothing wrong with that really (Romero used it a lot in Ep.1 and I think that was great), but, yeah, the room is too open and the walls at a too strange angle for it to make any sense, actually.

Don't you think a few crates in that room would've been really cool?

yeah. They ought to have done some work on the ceiling detail as well.

yeah. They ought to have done some work on the ceiling detail as well.

Yeah, definitely. (Drawing parallells to Doom 1 again) - You know how cool the ceiling detail in for example E1M6's last room is? That was used just very rarely in Doom2.

Yeah, definitely. (Drawing parallells to Doom 1 again) - You know how cool the ceiling detail in for example E1M6's last room is? That was used just very rarely in Doom2.

I don't remember that one. I will go check. But i mean ceiling detail like the ceiling crates in vrack2.

I don't remember that one. I will go check. But i mean ceiling detail like the ceiling crates in vrack2.

Huh, don't you think that's a bit exaggerated? =) For doom2.exe and its deadly VPO's and people's poor CPU's and everything...

I checked. It's very cool, but maybe a little plaun, IMO.

Huh, don't you think that's a bit exaggerated? =) For doom2.exe and its deadly VPO's and people's poor CPU's and everything...

well ok. I thought we were talking improvements, like if someone had to redo it in a new port.

well ok. I thought we were talking improvements, like if someone had to redo it in a new port.

Well, no, just analyzing the original levels :)

To go on, I think the bright tech corridors are very cool. Like, as shelter from the dark surrounding rooms. But still, most of the monsters are there.

I checked. It's very cool, but maybe a little plaun, IMO.

Heh, I think it's a mighty fine example of how great things can look with just a few linedefs if you just do it right.

Well, no, just analyzing the original levels :)

To go on, I think the bright tech corridors are very cool. Like, as shelter from the dark surrounding rooms. But still, most of the monsters are there.

yeah, and they forgot to make them deaf. That is too bad, IMO.

Heh, I think it's a mighty fine example of how great things can look with just a few linedefs if you just do it right.

yep. A ceiling light could've rocked, tho.

yeah, and they forgot to make them deaf. That is too bad, IMO.

I dunno, it's kinda cool when they come one after one. One of the few places in Doom# where monster behaviour is somewhat controlled. And, btw, don't forget the absolutely classic two zombies at the start!

I dunno, it's kinda cool when they come one after one. One of the few places in Doom# where monster behaviour is somewhat controlled. And, btw, don't forget the absolutely classic two zombies at the start!

it's just too bad that you kill them all in the start.
We forgot the staircase too, btw.

it's just too bad that you kill them all in the start.
We forgot the staircase too, btw.

Yeah, that's really classic. Btw, have you thought about one thing - those stairs is the only place in Doom & Doom 2 where full gradient lighting is used?

(And the pipe wall textures are aligned too!)

Yeah, that's really classic. Btw, have you thought about one thing - those stairs is the only place in Doom & Doom 2 where full gradient lighting is used?

(And the pipe wall textures are aligned too!)

yeah. It's easy to spot in the ceiling. The alignment is a rare thing in doom.

yeah. It's easy to spot in the ceiling. The alignment is a rare thing in doom.

It looks cooler on the floor though. Perhaps because the ceiling texture is too plain.

What about the big room in the map?

It looks cooler on the floor though. Perhaps because the ceiling texture is too plain.

What about the big room in the map?

which one?

which one?

The one at the end. I frankly think it's kinda lame actually.

The one at the end. I frankly think it's kinda lame actually.

oh? well. I always think it was a beutiful room, but i don't like the suddon change of theme.

oh? well. I always think it was a beutiful room, but i don't like the suddon change of theme.

The big curved thing at the center seems like some lame attempt at random detail too me, but I could be wrong of course. The two lightboxes are cool though. And the placement of the window and the other stuff in it.

The big curved thing at the center seems like some lame attempt at random detail too me, but I could be wrong of course. The two lightboxes are cool though. And the placement of the window and the other stuff in it.

I DO like the texture theme, tho.

I DO like the texture theme, tho.

It's OK. Some more color could have been used though. Or some METAL2 pillars by the walls.

It's OK. Some more color could have been used though. Or some METAL2 pillars by the walls.

Some water could've been great, too don't you think?

Some water could've been great, too don't you think?

Maybe. Though I think the water in the ugly courtyard is enough for that map =P