sargebaldy

pronunciation poll #15173.97

how do you say UAC?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. how do you say UAC?

• U.A.C.
    • U-ack
    • This thread would be much nicer with a little imprape

how do you prononunce UAC? because i've been pronouncing it like u-ack for nearly 10 years and then heard it in teh doom3 vid as U.A.C. i hadn't felt so stupid since 1996 when i finally learned id was pronounced id and not I.D. heh.

anyway, which do you say?

sargebaldy said:

how do you prononunce UAC? because i've been pronouncing it like u-ack for nearly 10 years and then heard it in teh doom3 vid as U.A.C. i hadn't felt so stupid since 1996 when i finally learned id was pronounced id and not I.D. heh.

anyway, which do you say?

Yeah, it's an acronym. Could be a number of things, but perhaps United Areospace Corporation? Who knows...

Mancubus II said:

Yeah, it's an acronym. Could be a number of things, but perhaps United Areospace Corporation? Who knows...

heh uh, i know it's Union Aerospace Corporation, but some you do pronounce out, like PETA, NASA, NAFTA, NAMBLA, FEMA, ASCII, ASAP, etc.

sargebaldy said:

heh uh, i know it's Union Aerospace Corporation, but some you do pronounce out, like PETA, NASA, NAFTA, NAMBLA, FEMA, ASCII, ASAP, etc.

UNION, that's it. Only united came to mind.

UAC is for ham salad.

it's you aye see, though I suppose it's open either way, for instance IRC is pronounced 'erk' by many and 'eye are see' by others (personally I dislike the former)

UAC is a bit weird to pronounce as a sound tho heh

There's a tendency, but AFAIK no firm rule, to pronounce acronyms as if they were ordinary words.

Obviously, this is normally done only where it's possible (you'd have problems with IPSSSDR, for instance, and most others to do with stage stop sled dog racing). Having said that, the two maths departments at Cambridge University, DAMTP and DPMMS, are generally pronounced as if they were words (too much of a mouthful any other way), and I imagine there are sillier examples too.

Everyone knows id is pronounced I. D.! What, are you silly or something? :P Seriously, though, I think id sounds excessively stupid . . . I.D. is much better, in my opinion . . .

I've always pronounced it you a see. Pronouncing it you ack just doesn't work for me.

999cop said:

Watch the Doom 3 trailer again you cunt

That wasn't directed at me, was it? I hope not, as I've done nothing to offend you (or I don't think I have).

Mancubus II said:

UNION, that's it. Only united came to mind.

UAC is for ham salad.

I thought United Aerospace Corporation for three years too.

And it U. A. C.

AGM ownz UAC's ass.

Finaly, someone got the numbering right on their pronunciation poll title.
Anyway, I say U.A.C., though when I was a little kid, I used to think the crates said Vac or U-Vac (I also thought that the spider mastermind was a giant hairball though...we must have had a really low-res monitor).

Cyb said:

it's you aye see, though I suppose it's open either way, for instance IRC is pronounced 'erk' by many and 'eye are see' by others (personally I dislike the former)

UAC is a bit weird to pronounce as a sound tho heh

Yes.

Hmmm...pronouncing IRC out is weird. It sounds like 'Irk', as in the planet Irk, homeworld of the Irkan Empire. It has always been I.R.C. for me.

the_Danarchist said:

I used to think the crates said Vac or U-Vac

actually i think the reason i might have thought to say u-ack rather than U.A.C. was because initially me and my brothers may have thought it was VAC (something most people would pronounce out) and then when we figured out it was a U just kept the ack sound.

the_Danarchist said:

Hmmm...pronouncing IRC out is weird. It sounds like 'Irk', as in the planet Irk, homeworld of the Irkan Empire. It has always been I.R.C. for me.

yeah 'irk' doesn't sound right to me either.

Of course it's pronounced U-ack. U.A.C. may be teh right way of saying it but it's too much of a mouthful and sounds all softcore.

irk for I.R.C is gay though :P

pritch said:

Of course it's pronounced U-ack. U.A.C. may be teh right way of saying it but it's too much of a mouthful and sounds all softcore.

heh yeah. "You acey!" is about the least intimidating sound i can think of.

sargebaldy said:

heh yeah. "You acey!" is about the least intimidating sound i can think of.

Well, it is just a company name, so it doesn't need to be intimidating (it's what happens within that company that should be feared...)

Epyo said:

It urks me to say urk. UAC all teh way.

heh, to you UAC might look like U.A.C. but to me that looks like U-ack =P

Ultimate DooMer said:

Well, it is just a company name, so it doesn't need to be intimidating (it's what happens within that company that should be feared...)

yeah true, but this is a computer game, and one with a good deal of blood and gore and evil hellish demons. if they were going to go for a weak name maybe they should have just gone all the way and called it "Bunny Rabbit Spaceco" =P