Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Red

Duke nukem source projects!

I'm pretty sure doom world has it's fair share of Dunk Nukem fans, so if any of you are wondering if anybody has maid any use of the source code yet, Take a look at these!
There's even a blood source project (don't get too excited, it's still in it's early stages and doesn’t support sound, or many of bloods maps)

I haven't yet had the opportunity to look at any of these myself, so if any of you have already used any of these, I'd like to hear about it!

edit: fixed link

I remember several months ago searching for a duke nukem source port, but couldn't find one. That would be a cool game to play with slightly updated graphics.
too bad I can't try it out now. however, I will like to read any people's thoughts on it.

I see so many alpha and beta ports. doom ports started this way. a few will come out on top. high res graphics, openGL, improved sounds, and most importantly bug fixes. duke had a number of nasty bugs, noclip never worked. Also on some systems i had crashes in certian levels, or areas of a level.
just like the anoying visplane overflow doom error i hope all the nasty duke errors are fixed

BlackFish said:

oh shit, with these ports coming out, the duke community might outgrow doom..due to the engine that is :P

Many of the Doom ports are already far more technogically advanced than the Build engine.

NiGHTMARE said:

Many of the Doom ports are already far more technogically advanced than the Build engine.

Many? All are. These ports are still coming along.

Well, the main ones are ahead :P

Anyhow, I can't wait to give Duke3D another play through on Win32.

Ct_red_pants said:I'm pretty sure doom world has it's fair share of Dunk Nukem fans

my freind, there are more Dunk Nukem fans than you can possibly imagine...even more so than Duke Nukem.

Naw, I'm just messin with ya :)

mmnpsrsoskl said:
WinBlood

That's a port-in-progress. They haven't even coded in the enemies yet, according to their latest update. Unfortunately, because I would kill for a Windows version of Blood, too :)

Mordeth said:

That's a port-in-progress. They haven't even coded in the enemies yet, according to their latest update. Unfortunately, because I would kill for a Windows version of Blood, too :)

Well, it's a start :)

I would also kill for a port of Blood, i've been waiting so long to play it again on Win32 as well :)

Heh, blood used to run fine in 98, though it doesnt even start up on XP (neither will duke, and shadow warrior wont even install..)

http://dukenews.fragland.net/portal/ There is quite a few stable ports there. No graphically advanced effects though. Playing it again, the build engine is incredible, especially considering the time when it was made. Doom ports still have a lot of catching up to do editing-wise before they could allow the kind of flexibility Build has with it's sector manipulation, .con scripting and other editing features.

mmnpsrsoskl said:

I would also kill for a port of Blood, i've been waiting so long to play it again on Win32 as well :)

Blood runs fine on my comp. It's a Windows port of Shadow Warrior (which doesn't work) that I want :)

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Playing it again, the build engine is incredible, especially considering the time when it was made.

What a lot of people don't realise is that there was actually a game with an (albeit rather primitive) true 3D engine released the same month as Wolfenstein 3D :) Word to whoever can name the game I'm talking about.

Neither :) At least, I don't think it uses polygons. It might use a few, but NPCs (there's a clue!), enemies, items, etc are all sprites.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

http://dukenews.fragland.net/portal/ There is quite a few stable ports there. No graphically advanced effects though. Playing it again, the build engine is incredible, especially considering the time when it was made. Doom ports still have a lot of catching up to do editing-wise before they could allow the kind of flexibility Build has with it's sector manipulation, .con scripting and other editing features.

Note that cons were specific to Duke3D (and derivatives: Redneck Rampage, Nam, etc.).

Although I always felt that Build wasn't as robust as Doom, that's a nice one, redpantz. I seriously enjoyed playing Duke3D with those ports. It was almost like playing Boom for the first and finding all that new engine stuff.

ToXiCFLUFF said:
Doom ports still have a lot of catching up to do editing-wise before they could allow the kind of flexibility Build has with it's sector manipulation, .con scripting and other editing features.

You have to be kidding me. Sure, the engine allows for much manipulation, but the one (1) Build level editor available is a huge pain to use, and is nowhere near as flexible as the commonly used Doom editors. I can't believe nobody has ever build another Build level editor... imagine us being stuck with the oldest version of DEU or DoomCad... *shudder*.

I never played around with Build too much, but I got one of those scrolling train levels working in Blood on my second go. Plus the 3d mode ruled. I dunno, there just seemed to be much more flexibility with sector movements (much more than Doom engines's vertical movement and infinitely tall polyobjects) and the surfaces you could freely place in the map (like the destructable falling bridges etc,). And there is no denying that .con scripting was awesome. Without any excessive coding knowledge you could make fairly large differences to the way the game played.

I hope that the Duke community starts kicking out some new content soon, but I have a feeling that it just isn't as large as the Doom community.

NiGHTMARE said:

Blood runs fine on my comp. It's a Windows port of Shadow Warrior (which doesn't work) that I want :)

What a lot of people don't realise is that there was actually a game with an (albeit rather primitive) true 3D engine released the same month as Wolfenstein 3D :) Word to whoever can name the game I'm talking about.

well, i thought ultima underworld was released a little bit before. but i think that's it, isn't it?

also, personally, i prefer mapping with build to mapping for doom by far. that 3d mode is hard to live without.

Yep, UW is it! :) They're both reviewed in the same issue of PC Format, so I'm guessing they came out the same month.

NiGHTMARE said:

Yep, UW is it! :) They're both reviewed in the same issue of PC Format, so I'm guessing they came out the same month.

by pure coincidence/synchronocity, i was just singing it's praises in the wolf3d thread. i read in an issue of pc gamer (the issue that had the full game on it's cd, along with some other great ones) that it came out before wolfenstein. however, that's my only source of info. maybe it came out a few days earlier, is all. anyway, it's one fantastic fucking game. i don't play it much anymore, but i used to get so totally immersed i would play all day for weeks on end. you could do so much stuff and the world was so large. it never really got old, i just started having too much to do. oh well.