Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
toxicfluff

Darkest song you've ever heard?

Being generally drawn to this kind of stuff in my art (ugh.. the word always feels very pretentious to me) intake I was wondering what the darkest sounding song you have heard, lyrically and musically.

Mine would have to be Taut by PJ Harvey, it sounds like the soundtrack to a rape.

Grazza said:

"Venus in Furs" by the Velvet Underground springs to mind.

Getting now... I've been recommended a lot of VU, but actually heard very little somehow. I liked his solo stuff that I heard. Must admit that I'm pretty impressed that the first reply wasn't death metal.

"goddamn the sun" by the swans is pure despair. get it.

also, anything burzum has ever done, especially 'spell of destruction' (no 'black'), as dingus said, 'the crying orc', and the majority of the 'filosofem' album. i don't know if you're into black metal, especially after seeing the above comment on death metal, but burzum is SO FUCKING GOOD. really atmospheric, and with a voice that truly sounds like some pathetic, inhuman creature wailing it's goddamn head off. really. burzum is fucking rad.

EDIT: "the old main drag" and "hell's ditch" by the pogues are total misery as well. i can't believe i neglected to post this.

pregnant with worms said:

"goddamn the sun" by the swans is pure despair. get it.

also, anything burzum has ever done, especially 'spell of destruction' (no 'black'), as dingus said, 'the crying orc', and the majority of the 'filosofem' album. i don't know if you're into black metal, especially after seeing the above comment on death metal, but burzum is SO FUCKING GOOD. really atmospheric, and with a voice that truly sounds like some pathetic, inhuman creature wailing it's goddamn head off. really. burzum is fucking rad.

Well, the only kind of death/black (I apologise, but I don't know the fucking difference) metal I have ever heard was... uh. Bathory, yeah, them. Didn't like it too much though. I'll check some [burzum] out though, along with goddamn the sun.

toxic: also catch the edit there. forgot my favorite band. bravo for me.

IMJack said:

Comedy "Andrew W.K. - Get Ready To Die" option.

someone needs to kill that guy. if i had to say something offhand, uh... i dunno, maybe something by Coil.

Listen to anything by :wumpscut:, most of it is very dark, but the darkest song(s)I have ever heard has to be Capital Punishment or Wreath of Barbs by none other than :wumpscut:.

Bone - Eternal
Bone - Shots to the Double Glock
Bone - Mo Murda'
Triple 6 Mafia - Mystic Stylez
Triple 6 Mafia - Fuckin' Wit Dis Click

And I'm not much of a rock/metal fan but I love Danzig - Five Finger Crawl.

The Covenant by Saviour Machine.

In fact, most of their Legend II album. Doesn't get much darker than 79:38 of the end of the world :D

The Event Horizon soundtrack also has its good points.

"Lucky" by Britney Spears. Its all about a girl whos a superstar but she cry cry cries in her broken heart. Its sooo sad :~(

I would have to vote for Pennsylvania Trash - Horsepr0n, mainly because it's the only song that I can never get out of my head.

Darkest song... I dunno. Ministry's Cannibal Song comes to mind right now.

fraggle said:

"Lucky" by Britney Spears. Its all about a girl whos a superstar but she cry cry cries in her broken heart. Its sooo sad :~(

Heh.

darknation said:

Ripe (With Decay) by NIN

That could very well be one of the most dark songs I've ever heard. The sounds of the rot flies in it are awesome.

But actually, theres this song from the Mortal Kombat movie OST that I can think of that is really dark, alot darker than Ripe (With Decay). I can't remember what its called. Another dark song would be Vampyra Missa and Castle of Chaythe from the Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust OST. All those have no words though and are merely insturmental. One of the darkest songs I've ever actually heard with words would definitly be "Count to 6 and Die," "GodEatGod," "The Shadow of the Valley of Death," "Coma Black," "Valentine's Day," and "Target Audience," which all happen to be from Marilyn Manson's cd, "Holy Wood."

hmm... All the Love by Kate Bush comes to mind.
maybe The Waiting Room by Genesis.
for awhile there I was listening to chamber music, that stuff is hardcore.
I guess I'd have to vote in Vanilla Queen by Golden Earring as a final choice.

Paint it Black by the Rolling Stones is a really dark song lyrically. In a much more subtle and understated way than the blatant nature of NIN, Manson or Slayer, but very dark to my mind. The lyrics to QOTSA's you can't quit me baby evoke a deranged kind of obsession really well.

Almost everything by Type O Negative. Other than that I enjoy dark ambient by Folkstorm, Bloodbox, Deutsch Nepal, etc. But that stuff is hard to get and it's dark in certain way, but not depressed. If that's what you meant.