Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lost Soul

The threat is real.. ;)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=96&ncid=753&e=10&u=/space/20030729/sc_space/newtheorycatastrophecreatedmarsmoons

For those who don't want to read the entire news article, here.

Singer has plans for Deimos.

The scientist believes the moon would serve as a natural space station for future human explorers.

"First of all, humans on the surface of Mars cannot really do the exploration directly. They have to use rovers to get around. To go from the equator to a pole on Mars just takes too long. Its a big, dangerous journey," Singer said.

What Singer envisions is a Deimos gateway to extensive Mars exploration. An encampment of astronauts would reside on the Martian moon. From there, dozens of rovers could be autopiloted, in real-time.

"There would be no time delay, or so short that its within the human reaction time," Singer said. From Deimos, quick, down-to-the-surface sorties could be undertaken by humans to select areas, he added.

Intriguing, no?

I agree, this doesn't bode well at all, does it? What I'm not looking forward to is if we do discover the gates....:roll: I'm looking for IDDQD as soon as they do. :)

THis is quite worriesome to a degree.

David

Disorder said:

This is a sign. One of us must be the Doomguy, the one.

yeah, screw the matrix crap. the real "the one" is indeed the one destined to be the doom guy.
maybe the government was planning this for a long time. Maybe the know exactly what is going to happen, and they ordered the creation of doom and we all played it so we could train.

or it will just be another big science expedition..

Lost Soul said:

how are you old enough to have a licence?

Um, I don't think you need a license to own a shotgun. At least, not in any state that I can think of.

I don't have a gun, but I think I can find a nice chainsaw somewhere. I'm ready, let the bastards come.

An intriguing, but way too expensive idea.
Of course, a human outpost on Mars in my lifetime would seriously rock hard.
But right now the budget is pretty limited. I think they should focus on sending robots that are smarter and more mobile.

Bases on the moons would be logical.

A base on Earth's own moon would also be a useful stepping-stone to manned missions to Mars (and its moons), due to the lower gravity and consequent greater ease of propelling vehicles into orbit.

However, the exceptionally low gravity on Mars's moons would presumably be quite a problem if astronauts were to be based there for extended periods.

Well played, US military...It all makes sense now...

They've released the Doom games in conjunction with "id" to prepare the populous for the possibilities of said space station's erection. Already possessing the intelligence of the existence of certain anomalies, Doom was released as a massive training exercise for a whole generation. A generation whose youth may be necessary in order to "neutralize" the possibility of hostile encounters.

With the addition of online communities (such as this one) and minor clans, the military already has potential draftees discussing any and all scenarios that may be encountered. Not only that, but a sort of comradery has also been established to assist their end. There truly is reason to be apprehensive about this news release...

And large corporations are preparing for the next phase of training. McDonalds is one of these, by creating a large number of overwheight beings, the experience of facing a mancubus can be simulated. Recreations of the other demons are being developed so we can grow accustom to seeing what these demons would look like and move like in reality.

If Job is right, then I feel quite safe with guys like Sedlo and stx-Vile around. :)

I'm investing in tinfoil. And making a DARPA bet on a terrorist attack on a moonbase.

Ichor said:

DARPA dumped that idea already.

doh! i thought that idea was pretty cool, i don't know what the hell those two senators were whining about (one of them is from my state, he just lost my vote).

Aliotroph? said:

Perhaps John Carmack's company will have a hand in this. Fitting, since he coded the guts of DooM.

Alio :DDDDD

Good to see you over here. That site is bizarre... is Carmack trying to build a jetpack or something?

DooMBoy said:

Good thing I still have my shotgun...

yeah one shotgun, that'll go far

Job said:
Well played, US military...It all makes sense now...

They've released the Doom games in conjunction with "id" to prepare the populous for the possibilities of said space station's erection. Already possessing the intelligence of the existence of certain anomalies, Doom was released as a massive training exercise for a whole generation. A generation whose youth may be necessary in order to "neutralize" the possibility of hostile encounters...

I thought Doom was created, as an adaptation to the Alien movies in much the way D&D was to LOTR, my mistake.

Well as a training program, I can speak for pretty much everyone in saying, we're all dead..or "doomed"