Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Serial_Killer

wtf is up with alaska

why doesnt the governmanet just pump the oil out of it and get it over with now the world will be out of fosil fules in 50 to 75 years any way why not just get it out now so we can have sheaper gas next summer:)

Well, there isn't exactly a lot of environment left that hasn't been ruined.

I look forward to the day we run right out of oil. The sooner that crap is done with the better! It's smelly, messy, poisonous, ruins the air, and does weird things to governments, especially ones that are oil rich like mine.

Oil is the fuel of yesterday. Unfortunately, no governments seem to realise that.

BBG said:

Because a bunch of hippies are being pussies about ruining the environment.

Didn't seem to stop them in Iraq :)

Serial_Killer said:

yeah they did more damage in iraq than they will in alaska. and there gonna do more damage in korea too...heh but thats a diff story

Yeah the US is going to rape North Korea of it's oil smart guy.

BBG

Hey, I'm offended by that statement. Anyways, we have plenty of oil for now. Honestly, I think we should just ween ourselves off of oil entirely. The sooner, the better. Alternative energy, man. That's the way to go. Then we can just yell "Frag you, Middle East. We don't need you and your black poison any more."

geekmarine said:

Then we can just yell "Frag you, Middle East. We don't need you and your black poison any more."

I'm sure sending the middle east into total bankruptcy is best for us all. =P

gatewatcher said:

Yeah the US is going to rape North Korea of it's oil smart guy.

Yeah, he really mentioned oil in his post, genius.

BBG said:

Yeah, he really mentioned oil in his post, genius.

He never mentioned anything for that matter, so it seemed to me he was talking about oil. Even if he was talking about Korea in general, why do I care about what he thinks. Because after all, it's just what he thinks. Take that whatever way you want.

It's fine with me. Canada can have Alaska, as far as I'm concerned. I can't say that I'd miss it (though it is nice having a nice even 50 stars on the flag). Then again, we purchased Alaska for $.02 an acre, and by golly, it was worth every penny.

Bah, we could always admit a new state... let's get Mexico in the union!

I tend to agree with the pussies about Alaskan drilling =P we need all the habitat we can get, god dammit! Save the big fuzzy moose! At least they aren't total idiots like suburban deer...

geekmarine said:

Anyways, we have plenty of oil for now. Honestly, I think we should just ween ourselves off of oil entirely.

You need to learn to read some stuff, America is now an oil importer.

Geothermal energy's where it's at!

... LAVA~!!!

Seriously =\ it uses natural heat from below the earth's surface to operate... a variant of steam-power, I believe, only with the heat from a stable, inexhaustable (within the human race's lifetime) source.

I'm an environmentalist, so I have to agree with not drilling Alaska. It's not just fucking icebergs or shit like that. There's nice stuff there. The only reason we'll eventually be forced to is because money grubbing buisness pricks don't care about anything else. However, I can't wait for the day when we've done so much damage we really really fuck ourselves over. Because it's going to happen, and then people will be forced to take action or live horrible lives and die miserably. And we, as a whole, deserve it.

three things:
1. even if we did continue to use oil at the current rate, we're still finding more and more sources all the time (i mean, there's a shitload of places underwater with oil)
2. hopefully we won't be using so damn much oil 50-75 years from now anyway.
3. alaska would LOVE to get the oil removed, since that would mean big $ to the state and a lot of new jobs.

Cecillia said:

I believe, only with the heat from a stable, inexhaustable (within the human race's lifetime) source.

hydrogen power is even better =P not only is water everywhere, the only 'waste' that's given off is steam.

You can't make hydrogen from water. That would take more power than you'd get. Either you have to mine it (like natural gas) or you have to make it from oil (possibly).

Aliotroph? said:

You can't make hydrogen from water. That would take more power than you'd get. Either you have to mine it (like natural gas) or you have to make it from oil (possibly).

many hydroelectric dams already extract hydrogen from water and sell it.

Aliotroph? said:

Maybe so, but you'll never power all the cars in the world from that.

the us gov't disagrees.

Aliotroph? said:

You'd have to dam up all the rivers.

what rivers aren't dammed already? hell, the columbia alone has around 20, and i think each can produce a lot more hydrogen than you think.

Cecillia said:

Geothermal energy's where it's at!

... LAVA~!!!

Seriously =\ it uses natural heat from below the earth's surface to operate... a variant of steam-power, I believe, only with the heat from a stable, inexhaustable (within the human race's lifetime) source.

I like hyrdoelectric power more. There are 12 hydroelectric dams on the Columbia alone, and many others around the state of Washington that supply us with more than enough power (despite what they tell us). Hell, the Grand Coulee Dam (largest dam in America) can supply power to every town from Seattle to Chicago. The main concern is that they'll block the river. But thats easily gotten around through the use of fish ladders. Humans have to find their own damn way around them. :D

You can do a LOT of damage with a dam if you're not careful about where you put it though. The flooding can be a huge mess. It's certainly pretty clean though.

Aliotroph? said:

You can do a LOT of damage with a dam if you're not careful about where you put it though. The flooding can be a huge mess. It's certainly pretty clean though.

Well sure, just look at what happened to Mollhulland's dam outside of L.A. back about 100 years ago. Poor engineering caused the thing to burst and wipe out a town. The whole thing is in the planning and maintainance. If you have that all worked out enough, then you're good to go.

the_Danarchist said:

If you have that all worked out enough, then you're good to go.

other than the salmon runs people whine about, although that's partly taken care of by fish ladders.

Stupid salmon should learn to go up to Alaska, where less people live, but more people fish. They get spawning beds, we get food. Problem solved.