Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naked Snake

New Dinosaur species discovered

Fredrik said:

I've only read Sphere and The Andromeda Strain.

Heh, I never realized those were both by the same author. I caught most of The Andromeda Strain on TV a few times, but never saw the first 10-15 minutes. I didn't like Sphere very much when I saw it in the theaters, but I bought the book on a whim one day, opened to a random page (about 100) with the intent of reading a paragraph or two, and read it all the way to the end that night. I liked the movie considerably more when I watched it after reading the book. The only reason I was disappointed with the movie in the first place was that the advertisements and promos I had seen led me to believe the whole thing would be exploring the crashed human spacecraft - I spent the whole time waiting for something that was never going to happen.

Grazza said:

Any other Crichton novels that people like? ;)

I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON

Hope hollywood doesn't fuck up Independence Day 2 and Spawn 2 like they did with Mortal Kombat Annihlation...the first one of those three ruled, but Annihlation...ugh...

The second movie was just a dumb rehash of all the action sequences from the first one with a crappy excuse for a plot. The first one was magical. I don't want to see the third one. Haven't read the books.

The first one was awesome. Oddly enough AndrewB, you're right. The graphics did get shittier somehow from the 1-2-3. There first one I couldn't tell was cgi. The rest....

Why did the CG get worse...? Laziness, likely... as the first was rather popular, they knew they'd make money off of the successors, because people are stupid enough (en masse) to see it anyway. Why spend more money on equipement when America's majority doesn't really notice?

... I liked the toys best, though =3. I only collected the dinosaurs, and they ate my other action figures. Yay. Let the veloceraptor chew on the ewoks!

The CGI didnt get worse imo. It just got overdone. Dinosaurs were running at high speeds past the camera, but you could still see every detail of their body perfectly. This was especialy apparent in the third movie during the fight between the rex and that other thing. You could see every muscle rippling beneath their skin.

The CG was overdone in The Matrix Reloaded. I saw it bigtime during the truck chase scene. When the covering was flying around it looked wrong.

Aliotroph? said:

When the covering was flying around it looked wrong.

Kinda like that elevator door in the first one?

Or everything else for that matter.

Grazza said:

Any other Crichton novels that people like? ;)

t1meline (goddamn tag!!!) was my favorite of his :) definitely read that if you liked jurassic park. prey was a good book but maybe not by his standards.

JP: I hadn't read the book when I first watched it, so I overly enjoyed it because I was a dino freak. Then I grew older and my taste matured, I read the book and suddenly I looked at the movie in a totally different perspective.
The movie was decent entertainment, but it did some imo wrong turns.

Lost World (JP 2): This thing was so terrible that Steven Spielberg ought to be dragged out on the street and shot. Really, I had thought it would have a decent plot, but it turned out to be one of the movie plots I keep on my "worst movie plots" list. It was just so damn obvious that it was just a movie to show dinos eating humans, completely ignoring the joys of an in-depth storyline.
- The very fact that it completely ignores the book's storyline is the main reason I'm howling for Spielberg's blood, because the book is pretty much as awesome as the first imo.

JP 3: Haven't seen it - I watched a trailer and a movie review on telly (read some reviews too) and it took me less than a second to decide that it was godawful.

Other Michael Crichton books: love 'em - I've got both JP books, Congo, The Andromedian Strain (though I don't like that one as much) and Sphere. I read part of Rising Sun, but found it to be a completely different type of story that I just didn't like - didn't like the movie too much either.

Ive only seen jurrasic part 1 and 2. i loved 1 but 2 was kinda lame imo. i cant believe that theres gonna be a jp4.

i am REALLY anticipating this T1meline movie that is coming out, the book was a great book imo, one of crichtons best.

The terminal man was a good book, too but i dont think it stands up to his usual works.

Disclosure was a VERY suspenseful book, but the movie was not too good a translation to screen.

the andromeda strain pwned. i never saw the movie however

sphere was awesome as well. never saw that movie either

im a big crichton fan :P

Goat said:

the andromeda strain pwned. i never saw the movie however

I saw the movie recently and it's almost a line-by-line adaption of the book. I was amazed by how well it matches the imagery I had created myself from the book. It's a solid movie, not very exciting though. IMDb page.

Oh, and, I removed that other post of yours. :P

Fredrik said:

Oh, and, I removed that other post of yours. :P

thx i had like 4 dw threads open and i got confused o_O

the_Danarchist said:

One movie that is as good as the book is A Clockwork Orange. The only major discrepency is the lack of the final chapter in the movie, but that chapter kinda mucks the story up, so heh...

A bit like the Terminator series then, with the 3rd (and probably final) chapter messing up the story...

I've seen a couple of films based on Alistair Campbell books - Where Eagles Dare was a good film but one or two bits were missing, but Force 10 from Navarone was totally screwed, missing characters and all!

I highly doubt T3 is the last in the series. To me, it looked like a launching pad for more Terminator movies. It's almost like the writers were intentionally screwing around with the storyline so that they could get it out of the way and not be bound to it.

It did look like a cliffhanger to some extent, but the next one (if there was one) would have to be set in the post-apocalyptic future, where the classic 2-terminator plot wouldn't work. It would be more like the scenes from that world we got in the first 2 films. Either that or try and prevent the Terminators from going back in time, Connor and Brewster getting married or Arnie killing Connor. (and Arnie would probably retire from terminating, anyway - and without him it would never pull in the same audiences)

In any case, they didn't need to touch the ending of T2's storyline - they could've just gone into the post-apocalyptic future and chronicled both sides' attempts to send the Terminators back through time or something like that. (taking place after, yet before the first two films)