Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
w M w

computer shopping help

This group definately seems technology savey... I'm currently pretty poor and don't know much about computer shopping. I looked on ebay and noticed that the most popular search was for "dell" computers and saw some for like 300-400 bucks. Since I'm *not* technology savey, I suppose I should get one of these "packages" with everything already together for me to minimize any difficulty in making it work instead of buying stuff seperate. So is dell good, or do you have any advice... would doom3 likely work on any computer that costs 300 bucks? btw I'd probably just get windows/pc stuff because I already know my way around that, and also would probably use dial up netzero internet.

I bought a Dell about 16 months ago, and I'm happy with it. Very reliable, and it performs as well as it ought to in benchmarks (i.e. it seems they didn't use crappy components).

sweet. I'll get a dell then.

steve: "dude, you're gettin' a dell" *thumbs up*

I keep putting off (probably because I forsee a hassle in making it work) playing hell revealed demos in dos like you said but I'll try it eventually. Also I found a neat thing you probably know about. That portal at the start of the first level leads somewhere if you go through it 4 or 5 times.

Avoid Lindows and eMachines at all costs. Emachines are next to impossible to upgrade.

I doubt a $400 computer will play DooM III, even in US dollars.

Dell makes good stuff but their tech support is $40 Canadian per call. Blegh! Their laptops don't seem to perform too well all the time. Also avoid anything that has Windows ME installed on it. [comic guy voice]Worst OS ever![/comic guy voice]

If you want to know how Doom 3 will run, pay attention to the video card, and the official system requirements! GeForce3+ or Radeon 8500+ for optimal performance.

i have a dell laptop AND desktop. the laptop is pretty crappy and i dont use it anymore... but the desktop works great

thanks for he tips. I'll probably scratch the idea of getting something that can play doom3 for now and just get something cheap that can at least dial up to the internet. the cheapest thing at comp usa was a computer for ... I think it was 400 dollars, but you also have to buy the moniter for another 300 or something. It said something like 128 RAM and 40 mb hard drive memory. I guess it would be sufficient for simpler things like doom2/music making programs/ and internet access...
I have to double check that it isn't a "lindow" or "emachine" though now.